Trance E+1

G'day mate, which model Trance E, SX, Pro 1 or 3. How many times has it happened, how long have you had the bike, where do you ride?

I had something similar happen on a BH Emotion bike I used to have. It turned out to be a fault with the battery. It got replaced under warranty.

RonRonMTB, I have the same bike as you and have the same motor cutting out issue. Like you I found that once it starts occurring, it becomes more frequent and in my case, it eventually fails to turn on at all. Also like you, I found that if I removed and reinstall the battery it it either does not recurr for the remainder of the ride or its delayed significantly. The problem is indicative of a bad battery connection but neither me nor the bike shop has found anything amiss.
This is what has happended in my case:
-Giant initially seemed to think it was the charger and gave me a new one (didn't make any differience)
-Giant then recommended that I deplete the battery to 4% and recharge, (I depleted the 3%) I assume that this was to reset the Batterie's Management System, BMS (but this didn't work)
-I swapped my battery with my friend's battery (we have the same bike) he did not experience the problem nor did I (although these rides were interupped with flat tyre fixing and some mechanical issues....and as the problem usually only develops after i have been riding hard for an hour or so ...I am not confident that these were good tests)
-Giant then provided me with a replacement battery to try (the problem didn't recurr)
-Giant then requested I reinstall the orginal battery, and so far the problem has not recurred on that battery either (but I have only given it one really good run where I would have expected the problem to occur)
I now have a motor issue (possible stripped internal gear) so I can't do any further testing until a get another motor (under warranty... I hope).

As with you I'm puzzled, especially now that the problem seems to be gone, Giant wants the replacement battery back but I have still not done enough rides to be confident that it's now OK.
I do have a possible theory as to why the original battery now seems to be ok. On the last ride before the replacement battery arrived, I ran the battery down to 0% (fully discharged), this might have done the BMS reset that Giant was seeking but required a fully discharge battery rather than a 4% discharge?

Just out of interest......I have measured the battery output terminals and it does not have any significant voltage on the terminals, indicating that the battery has some internal switching to only power the terminals when it is signaled to do so (I assume this is a safety feature). So for the fault, it is possible that could be caused by:
-interuption of the switching signal to the battery to keep it turned on,
-the BMS might think there is an internal problem and is switching the battery off,
-there is a fault with the switching components within the battery
-there is a bad connection between the battery and the bike
-there is a fault with the handlebar controller and it's incorrectlhy sending a signal to turn off the bike.
-or something else?

I woud be interested in your experiences and what your final solultion was.

By the way Gaint has been hepful and striving to sort this issue out .....Cheers,

Just got my bike back from Giant. I was having the same issues. Haven’t tested it out yet but. They said, it has been resolved by inserting a shim under the contacts. Raising it 2mm for better contact and no shut downs. Will keep you posted. Still raining in Ventura county

Inserting a shim, that's interesting I'll be interesting to see if it solve the problem. I got my bike back a couple of days ago with a new motor (for an unrelated problem ) the original battery is fitted. I've only been on one ride so far and it's ok, but the ride was not very long, will keep you posted if it recurs.

Cheer s Guys , I have had the same problem my E trance shutting down my second SX 0Pro is due this weeks some time, but unfortunately due to the fire risk there is nowhere to ride off road . I look forward to your updates.

I have just bought a 2019 Trance e+1. First few rides were great, however yesterday it powered off about 20 times while on a long ride in the bush. Not ideal. No fault light. Just powers down, dry conditions, track was rough in some places but that rough.
After a few minutes i could power it up again and ride for a few minutes before it would stop again. Makes for a long ride old school style.
Contacting the dealer this morning.

Inserting a shim, that's interesting I'll be interesting to see if it solve the problem. I got my bike back a couple of days ago with a new motor (for an unrelated problem ) the original battery is fitted. I've only been on one ride so far and it's ok, but the ride was not very long, will keep you posted if it recurs.
I have inserted it 2 mm shim in mine and haven't had a problem since.

I have just bought a 2019 Trance e+1. First few rides were great, however yesterday it powered off about 20 times while on a long ride in the bush. Not ideal. No fault light. Just powers down, dry conditions, track was rough in some places but that rough.
After a few minutes i could power it up again and ride for a few minutes before it would stop again. Makes for a long ride old school style.
Contacting the dealer this morning.

Hi I went through 2 E+1s and 1 SX before it got a SX that works. I have had no follow up from giant New Zealand about the faults, so I can't give you any advice about what problem could possibly be. I would just take the bike back and demand a new one. The only things that giant got back to me on where remove the battery to charge it I don't know what that does but that's what they ask me to do and do not install the app on your phone, best of luck.also the bikes are bloody awesome to ride, once you get one that goes.

Thanks Rob. Bike is back at the shop. And im on a loaner while they attempt to sort the issue. Clearly something not right there. The app doesnt work properly and now neither does the bike.

Steve

Thanks Rob. Bike is back at the shop. And im on a loaner while they attempt to sort the issue. Clearly something not right there. The app doesnt work properly and now neither does the bike.

Steve

Steve

Best of luck , my first E+1 and SX went back to Giant New Zealand , they replaced motor and controller on the E+1, they tested all the wiring loom and could not find any faults in it and could not replicate the problems I was having, and send it back the clean Bill of health,it lasted one ride before the old problems of powering off came back again this time ,I lost the plot and demanded a new bike and then I decided to upgrade to the SX. Only to have the same problems reoccur. This time Giant just replaced the bike and I have had no problems from then on .

Refer to this other thread on why I think the trance E+ can have a habit of turning itself off:
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...help-solutions-fixes.13153/page-4#post-188690
Well after intsalling the 2mm shim to space up the battery connectors and a long period of faultless operation, the bike has started to occasionally turn itself off again. Anyone else found a solution to this very annoying problem? It still gives all the indications that its a battery connection problem. I did get a battery error the other day before the latest issues but with without an associated turning off, have not had any error codes with the current turning off instances. I might try some electrical contact spray on the battery connectors to see if that makes a difference.

Well after intsalling the 2mm shim to space up the battery connectors and a long period of faultless operation, the bike has started to occasionally turn itself off again. Anyone else found a solution to this very annoying problem? It still gives all the indications that its a battery connection problem. I did get a battery error the other day before the latest issues but with without an associated turning off, have not had any error codes with the current turning off instances. I might try some electrical contact spray on the battery connectors to see if that makes a difference.
How long are you riding for? Mine would shut down after about 1.5 hour ride. Had the shim and a new controller. No problems since. Touch wood.

How long are you riding for? Mine would shut down after about 1.5 hour ride. Had the shim and a new controller. No problems since. Touch wood.
It usually happens an hour or two after I've started riding and usually when I'm doing an uphill section following a downhill run. Rarely on the downhill run. As with you I did the 2mm spacer
mod and it's been fine for the last few months. I've contacted the bike shop they want me to bring it in to do a firmware upgrade, we'll see what that does.

Back