Tools for OEM maintenance and kit building.

tomjasz

Region
USA
City
Minnesnowta
Multimeter, soldering iron, how to solder ANDING MORE. OVER TIME

The most absent yet most important troubleshooting tool is a multimeter.
a decent quality, that is good enough for what we do is the $10 Aneng302.
China direct for $10. I compared it to my $200 Fluke and it’s more than adequate.
auto off and auto ranging. We can sort wiring, brake cut out, an throttle problems as well as battery and charger issues.

A !MUST HAVE!

here’s a video review,

SOLDERING LINKs

Kester Solder has a literature page. Best products too. Google!

Search Results
Manual Soldering - SparkFun Electronics
https://learn.sparkfun.com › tutorials › electronics-assembly › manual-soldering

Mar 16, 2013 - Uploaded by SparkFun Electronics
After reflow, a technician takes the board and manually solders any PTH (plated through-hole) components. In a ...

According to Pete: SMD Soldering Tips and Tricks - News ...
https://www.sparkfun.com › news

Nov 16, 2016 - Uploaded by SparkFun Electronics
As always, if you have any questions, comments, soldering jokes or good .... I did work for a electronics ...

Point-to-Point Soldering - SparkFun Electronics

Feb 27, 2017 - Uploaded by SparkFun Electronics
According to Pete: Point-to-Point Soldering. Practice ... In this episode of ATP, we' re going to take a closer ...

Learn to Solder - News - SparkFun Electronics

Dec 21, 2010 - Uploaded by SparkFun Electronics
One of the things we have been wanting to for a while now was create a solderingvideo for the most novice of ...

How to Solder: Through-Hole Soldering - SparkFun Electronics
https://learn.sparkfun.com › tutorials › advanced-techniques-and-troubleshooting

Sep 20, 2013 - Uploaded by SparkFun Electronics
Once you get the basics of creating good solder joints, it's time to learn some of the more advanced PTH ...

SparkFun WeevilEye - Beginner Soldering Kit - KIT-10723 ...
https://www.sparkfun.com › products
Video for soldering electronics▶ 3:28

Jan 4, 2013 - Uploaded by SparkFun Electronics
The WeevilEye is a through-hole soldering kit designed for the beginner. It has a low parts count so even young ...

Last edited:
Thanks for creating this thread. What does the "8000 Count" in the product description refer to?

I was looking on Amazon, and saw this one that they give their "Amazon's Choice" rating to (for whatever that's worth :) ) $17.99 with coupon.
I didn’t know but a Google search yielded,
“Digit display means the digits of a measuring result that a multimeter will be able to display. ... For instance, the reading of a 3.5-digit multimeter is 1999 counts and 4-digit multimeter 9999 counts. Besides, 4000 counts, 6000 counts, and 20000 counts multimeters are also common in the market.“

Thanks. I decided to go with the AN302 that you suggested. I ordered it from an eBay vendor instead of AliExpress. I am sure AliExpress is great, but I didn't really want to set up another online account … I have too many already. The price with shipping from a Hong Kong eBay seller with a 99.1% rating was $12.04 (about the same as AliExpress). I suspect the shipping will take longer than AliExpress, but I am not really in any hurry.

Thanks again for sharing your advice and expertise. I will probably have some questions about how to use this device when I receive it. But I am guessing if I know how to use it properly it will not only allow me to diagnose problems that I hope I never have, but will also give me a way to monitor the life and condition of my batteries as they start to wear out.

When it comes, or while waiting review the many good you tube videos. Being a horticultural guy I had to learn from scratch. I’ve learned to use google and YouTube as my in home library and learning center. Sometimes forums can be confusing and offer hearsay or anecdotal advice rather than solid factual advice. At least that’s been my experience.

When it comes, or while waiting review the many good you tube videos. Being a horticultural guy I had to learn from scratch. I’ve learned to use google and YouTube as my in home library and learning center. Sometimes forums can be confusing and offer hearsay or anecdotal advice rather than solid factual advice. At least that’s been my experience.

No one on this forum BSs......do they?

I will certainly do that, but I bet the knowledge available on this forum will be hard to beat in trying to find good YouTube videos for using the multimeter with ebike issues. I have encountered some BS YouTube videos (on other topics, not specifically ebikes), so you can get bad or confusing information on YouTube as well as in a forum :) . Maybe if someone knows of good YouTube or other resources for using the multimeter with ebikes and ebike batteries, they can post the links here.

I will certainly do that, but I bet the knowledge available on this forum will be hard to beat in trying to find good YouTube videos for using the multimeter with ebike issues. I have encountered some BS YouTube videos (on other topics, not specifically ebikes), so you can get bad or confusing information on YouTube as well as in a forum :) . Maybe if someone knows of good YouTube or other resources for using the multimeter with ebikes and ebike batteries, they can post the links here.
It's easy to vet some of the professional electronics forums.The ones with 10's of thousands of subscribers. Those that specialize in electronics. The above review from youtube is by an extremely well known professional electronics builder. I get some tool reviews there and decided on a highly regarded soldiering iron from his reviews. Recent suggestions here were off the mark but Ive learned some posters have set minds even with limited experience. Don't follow some putz in the basement with 250 buddy followers. Lets be reasonable. If I suggested you read good novel, will you read the comic book version. Common sense.

I received this item (AN302 multimeter) a week ago. It only took about two weeks shipping from a eBay seller in China … not too bad! I haven't had a need to use it on my ebike yet, but it has already paid for itself on a project of adding a USB port in my old pickup truck. The device made it easy to identify an appropriate fuse on an ignition circuit and add a fuse tap to power the USB port. My only complaint about this inexpensive device is that it doesn't have alligator clips. But I was able to fabricate some simple alligator clips that slip over the probes.

Last edited:
I received this item (AN302 multimeter) a week ago. It only took about two weeks shipping from a eBay seller in China … not too bad! I haven't had a need to use it on my ebike yet, but it has already paid for itself on a project of adding a USB port in my old pickup truck. The device made it easy to identify an appropriate fuse on an ignition circuit and add a fuse tap to power the USB port. My only complaint about this inexpensive device is that it doesn't have alligator clips. But I was able to fabricate some simple alligator clips that slip over the probes.
These might work. https://www.amazon.com/Push-Alligat...argid=aud-800703102928:pla-311719447151&psc=1

Just ordered these. $1.87!!!

Last edited:
The Amazon clips show this, I can make my own with existing clips, but $2.37 shipped works too!

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 3.35.36 PM.png

Soldering irons. A cheap Amazon set will do.
I started with this,

as my use and skills improved I moved to this,

Again I used Voltlog on YouTube to find decent solder supplies on the cheap from China. And use Kester brand supplies from Amazon or eBay if I need something quicker.

seeed.com for cheaper ts100 tips.

I like Pedro’s and Park tools. The links are from the shop I do support for, there are other stores that may have better prices, but Doug doesn’t gouge on inflated shipping.

for mid drives you need to pull the bottom bracket.

crank pullers are handy for all builds and critical for mid drive kits. I like this one because it has its own handle but a socket type can use exiting wrenches.

The 3rd arm for soldering is also a must have.

Or 4 arms😉
Made mine out of CNC fluid tubes and recycled computer fans. Fans vent away fumes, I powered fans with old power supplies. Will take a photo. But like this...

Back