The story of a 75-year-old bicycle given new electrified life

PaD

Today I visited a show for electric cars that also included a small section for e-bikes. There was a stand called Museum where they had a couple of older e-bikes on display. I’ll give you the story of one of the bikes here and post pictures of the other bikes in another thread. (maybe the thread with pix of unusual and odd things started by Steve Mercier)
A few pictures followed by the story.
1581200535833.jpeg

1581199657414.jpeg

1581199709562.jpeg

45393 45394 45395

The present owner inherited the bicycle in 2002. Original owner was his grandfather Ture, born 1908 in a village called Ljugarn on the island Gotland, He was a farmer and lived his life in Ljugarn together with his wife Elsa. They both passed away 2002. Ture bought the bicycle, branded Apollo, new in 1943 or maybe 1944.
They never had a car. Transportation was horse and carriage, bicycles, mopeds or the tractors used in the farm. The Apollo followed Ture as a faithful companion through life. He used it the first years to go from his home to his wartime posting. Later he hung it on the tractor to use to bike home for lunch etc. The Apollo was also used to go hunting during winter and Ture rode it until he was over 80 to meetings with the Home Guard.
Ture’s grandson Håkan kept the bicycle and it was used at the summer house in Gotland.
In 2017 Håkan bought a Copenhagen Wheel ( or Superpedestrian) and put on the Apollo which also had a careful restoration leaving it with the patina.
Håkan has used the electrified Apollo for daily commuting, 20 + 20km, for the better part of the year. Avoiding ”salt season”.
For info on the motor go to https://www.superpedestrian.com/en/copenhagenwheel

Last edited:
Today I visited a show for electric cars that also included a small section for e-bikes. There was a stand called Museum where they had a couple of older e-bikes on display. I’ll give you the story of one of the bikes here and post pictures of the other bikes in another thread. (maybe the thread with pix of unusual and odd things started by Steve Mercier)
A few pictures followed by the story.
View attachment 45396

View attachment 45391

View attachment 45392

View attachment 45393 View attachment 45394 View attachment 45395

The present owner inherited the bicycle in 2002. Original owner was his grandfather Ture, born 1908 in a village called Ljugarn on the island Gotland, He was a farmer and lived his life in Ljugarn together with his wife Elsa. They both passed away 2002. Ture bought the bicycle, branded Apollo, new in 1943 or maybe 1944.
They never had a car. Transportation was horse and carriage, bicycles, mopeds or the tractors used in the farm. The Apollo followed Ture as a faithful companion through life. He used it the first years to go from his home to his wartime posting. Later he hung it on the tractor to use to bike home for lunch etc. The Apollo was also used to go hunting during winter and Ture rode it until he was over 80 to meetings with the Home Guard.
Ture’s grandson Håkan kept the bicycle and it was used at the summer house in Gotland.
In 2017 Håkan bought a Copenhagen Wheel ( or Superpedestrian) and put on the Apollo which also had a careful restoration leaving it with the patina.
Håkan has used the electrified Apollo for daily commuting, 20 + 20km, for the better part of the year. Avoiding ”salt season”.
For info on the motor go to https://www.superpedestrian.com/en/copenhagenwheel

Wow, if that bike could talk, the stories it would tell!

I don't see a battery
6Ah in the hub. What a waste... of a gorgeous bike. A little stealth hub motor, like a Q100 would nearly match the front generator, and some creativity would keep the look. Battery in a bottle or in a vintage seat pack with a little Phaserunner controller. Most wouldn’t catch that it’s electrified. Love the bike though.

Last edited:
That reminds me that I owned 3 Apollo bikes in the late 60,s ...the first two were stolen. When you are young and foolish you trust people. (-:

Back