The Short Person's Guide to Selecting an Ebike

PowerMe

As a short female (5'0") I know first-hand the challenge of finding and selecting a suitable ebike.

Rather than suggest specific brands and models I'll instead give some good guidelines to use to help narrow down and filter out choices.

Especially Useful For a Short Rider:

- smaller tire size (26 inch or, for riders shorter than 4'10", 24 inch tires). IMO it's best to stay away from the large 700c tires if you can.

- step thru and low-step-thru frame is a short person's best frame (IMO) because you don't have a top bar to contend with.

- small or medium size frame. Either may work just fine, especially in combo with a low step-thru frame. My ebike has a size M frame but it works for me.

- adjustable handlebars to accommodate different riding positions and more or less reach.

- handlebars that are not too wide. Some cruiser models have very wide handlebars. These can be awkward for shorter riders. Avoid if possible.

What About Putting Feet On Ground When Sitting?

This is often desired, but not needed *if* you are physically able to ride a bike and get on and off the seat. You need to be sitting up high enough so that your leg is bent to 15 degrees on the furthest downstroke position and you need to be positioned correctly so that your legs are over the crank. Proper pedaling position will allow you to ride without doing damage to your knees. This positioning is something a local bike shop with qualified employees can easily help you achieve.

On my ebike (a low step-thru model), I cannot sit on the saddle and touch my feet to the ground--not even my toes. It's easy to learn how to start riding and stop and step off the seat properly. It becomes second nature. On my ebike I start with pedal assist on the lowest level. I never use my throttle.

HERE IS A PAGE WITH A SHORT VIDEO that illustrates the proper method of starting and stopping your ride.

HOWEVER, *IF* you are unable to start or stop your bike without losing your balance and falling over, then a 2-wheel ebike may not be the right choice -or- you may need a bike that is designed for a rider to have feet on ground or even a 3 wheel trike type ebike.

Last edited:
After looking around (which I know you have been doing), there's definitely a gap in the market for smaller bikes that aren't mountain or leisure/comfort bikes, that currently no manufacturer is addressing. I guess they feel the gap is too small (no pun intended) to fill...which is odd, when some of them have dozens of bikes in their lineup.

The glut of eMTN bikes is enormous now. That's been the biggest growth segment since I purchased my ebike in 2015. Just looking at Bull's bike lineup, it's overwhelming.

I think the missing niche is an ebike that would be great for both paved road AND rails-to-trails type riding. But not a mountain bike. R&M understand this niche I think.

For me a top tube on a bike, even a sloping one, is not comfortable. I like when an ebike company offers multiple frame configurations in a model. Having the choice of a "wave" step-thru frame is a major advantage and win in my book.

My filtering criteria immediately are 26" tires, a step-thru frame, and a battery that is higher capacity than 400 wHr. If an ebike company doesn't have a model that fits that, I don't bother looking.

I'm not in the market for an ebike since I already have one and it still works for me and my needs, but I can't say I don't drool at some of the newest ones.

My sister who is 5'0" recently bought an Elby S1 9-Speed, and loves it.
Previously she had purchased a Surface 604 Rook, but didn't fit well to her, so sold that. She's really happy to have found the comfortable Elby after many months of searching for the right bike & features for her size. Hope this helps someone. And here's Court's review https://electricbikereview.com/elby/city-ebike/.

I just purchased 2 VeeGo e-bikes.... https://www.ridescoozy.com/products/veego-fat-tire
My wife and I are both short... Her 5'", Me 5'6"

Due to the vertical battery location under the seat, you really can't get a low seat height even with a step through frame... ours seat height is 30" and my inseam is 28 hers is 27"
I went with the fat tire because we have miles and miles of beach to ride and the fat tires work excellent on hard pack, and just well enough in sugar sand.

I really enjoy the bike but I still want a fat tire, a rack and a lower seat height... I think the MATE X would be perfect except there is no way to fit a rack.

I will sell these as soon as I find a good replacement.

I hope as ebikes become more and more popular, companies will consider their shorter customers--that's a huge share of the bike market, both for shorter adults and for growing tweens and teens! As more states get ebike laws that remove licensing and age restriction requirements, I think there's only upward potential. But, it must be frustrating not to be able to get the features you need for your application.

My 4'10" 13-year old has a 24" Pedego Interceptor. It's a perfect fit for her. But, not a fat tire bike ...

Back