The new Twinner E1

bluecat

30674916sl.jpg

Thömus, the company, where the Stromer was founded, announced their first road e-bike: The Twinner E1. As you see, it's the Shimano Steps E8000 motor. Limited to 25 km/h, therefore no competitor to the Stromer ST5.

What’s with the tiny little cargo rack? Yes, it’s aesthetically pleasing, but form and function seem to have gone in opposite directions here. Otherwise, a nice looking machine.

I dunno, but for me personally being limited to 25Km/h is "what the hell is the point" territory. Even at 32Km/h I get passed by regular road bike cyclists.

Other than that, nice looking bike.

What’s with the tiny little cargo rack? Yes, it’s aesthetically pleasing, but form and function seem to have gone in opposite directions here. Otherwise, a nice looking machine.
I think its a rack time. Form and function are hand and glove with it. Everything you can think of snaps securely on it.
Any regular old school rack seems wide and secure- until you try bungeeing stuff to it. Racktime is the best thing to come out of Europe………………………………………….maybe ever!

I think its a rack time. Form and function are hand and glove with it. Everything you can think of snaps securely on it.
Any regular old school rack seems wide and secure- until you try bungeeing stuff to it. Racktime is the best thing to come out of Europe………………………………………….maybe ever!
Thanks. I’ll check ‘em out. Do they sell here in the states?

I dunno, but for me personally being limited to 25Km/h is "what the hell is the point" territory. Even at 32Km/h I get passed by regular road bike cyclists.

Other than that, nice looking bike.
To be a truly 45kph (28mph), ebike, it has to have a chain ring with a minmum tooth count of 46. Your cadence will be at most 80 rpm at 28 mph.

Ya I thought it looked familiar. Specialized put it on the Turbo Vado. Some very nice looking accessories, but I opted for a different bike because I wanted something I could put a child carrier on.

Also, anyone else think that rear cassette is a little odd for a commuter style of e-bike? Why would one a large climbing ring that large on a city commuter with a powerful pedelec motor? I barely ever use the largest one on mine, and it's much smaller than that. In fact, I had to increase the size of my front ring because I was finding the gear spacing was too tight and shifting all the time was getting annoying.

25 km

Because it's designed for use in a country that's located in the heart of the Alps...

LOL, fair enough.. I still kinda have my doubts though. I mean that large cog is bigger than the brake disc, which you would need if you didn't have motor assist..

I mean even if you delimit the speed, at 36 teeth you will be "clown pedaling" at 102 rpm.

I'll admit, that confuses me. My Bosch powered bike came with a 15t ring, which I upped to a 17t one. Delimited I can hit up to 60km/h before running out of gear with a basic 10 speed Deore drive train that has a 11t smallest in the back.

On my wifes bike I did a conversion on, the motor came with a 46t front ring, and it's completely different. Based on my experience with my Bosch equipped bike, I expected to have to drop it down to a 36t or something. I didn't have to change a thing, it was perfect for a 32km/h setup.

Must be something about the Bosch motor..

I'll admit, that confuses me. My Bosch powered bike came with a 15t ring, which I upped to a 17t one. Delimited I can hit up to 60km/h before running out of gear with a basic 10 speed Deore drive train that has a 11t smallest in the back.

On my wifes bike I did a conversion on, the motor came with a 46t front ring, and it's completely different. Based on my experience with my Bosch equipped bike, I expected to have to drop it down to a 36t or something. I didn't have to change a thing, it was perfect for a 32km/h setup.

Must be something about the Bosch motor..
I presume your wife's ebike is a yamaha?

I presume your wife's ebike is a yamaha?

No, it's the Tongsheng kit from Biktrix. Installed on a Yuba Mundo. It's a big / heavy cargo bike, so that's why I thought I would have to decrease the front chain ring. I didn't, the thing climbs hills like a boss with the 46t front ring and she doesn't even have to drop down to the lowest gear most of the time. It's just a 7 speed as well.

https://biktrix.ca/products/tongsheng-tsdz2-torque-sensored-diy-ebike-mid-motor?variant=45059628051

Road bike? With that size tire, fenders, and a rack? Stretching the meaning of the description in my opinion.

Road bike? With that size tire, fenders, and a rack? Stretching the meaning of the description in my opinion.

Ya, I agree. Looks more suited as a class 3 45km/h style of commuter in my opinion. That I would be interested in (if we had the option here in Canada).

Here the detailed description:
upload_2017-10-18_18-53-55.png

There are varieties of the Twinner E1:
  • City (as shown)
  • Hardtail (with FOX fork)
  • Lady frame
  • Blue colour
I'm surprised about the echo after my post. This bike will be only sold at Thömus HQ in the mountains near Bern / Switzerland. But as mentioned above, Thömus Veloshop it the "mother" - company of myStromer. Magnus Almgren, the designer of the first Stromer, works still at Thömus. The distance between Thömus HQ and Stromer HQ is only a few minutes, if you ride a Stromer. No doubt, people know each other. With all this in mind, I've published the Twinne E1 to show how ideas float and grow.

People will always scrutinize something based on their own wants /needs. The bikes intended market does clear things up a bit though.

That been said, I do really like the geometry, and I can definitely see some Stromer in there. That new Shimano motor sounds pretty sweet. If this thing were available in North America with 32 and 45km options, it would probably do well. Especially if it came at a price point lower than Stromer (which I think is ridiculous high imo).

Thanks for sharing!

Sonoboy , here you go, bikebagshop.com. is where I get my racktime accessories. And did you hear Stromer prices have come down almost $1,000 on the st2 and st2s for 2018. Looks like bikebagshop.com might have discontinued carrying racktime , check out BikeShophub.com

Last edited:
Back