The new Schwalbe Super Moto tire - 2021 model

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Schwalbe Super Moto X has been a great tire for E-bikes and it is found on many mid-tier to top-tier E-bikes. They offer long service life (6000+ miles) and very good grip on dry surface.

Gleaning from all the feedback Schwalbe has received over the years, their newly announced 2021 Super Moto looks promising.

At first glance, it looks bald that is because the outer rubber compound is supposed to let the road surface 'bite' into it and thus enhancing traction. For E-bikes traveling at 20+ mph or 35 kmph, traction is quite important.

1601842334973.png

Reminds me of the Pirelli tire used on Stromer ST5.

1601842549230.png

I've heard over the years that tread on road tires is pointless, just there for marketing. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not a big fan of the Moto because its weight and rolling resistance is so high. I think the G-One Speed line is much better for pure speed and weight, and the Almotion if longevity is a bigger factor. Unfortunately Schwalbe discontinued the 27.5x2.35 G-One Speed :/, which is a perfect size for e-bikes (I'd go for 26" but manufacturers are rarely choosing that for now, besides Stromer).

You could do a G One Speed up front and an Almotion in the back, since the back tire sees more wear and puncture risk.

Motos hit a low price point I guess, but biking is already so cheap and tires so pivotal to a good ride, spending more for top line Schwalbe is almost always worth it. I'm curious as to why it's so popular, maybe it's just that the Almotion doesn't come that wide?

Oh and Schwalbe tires are ridiculously overpriced in the US, I can't fathom why they double prices stateside. Eg $40 for the Gs vs $80 stateside.

Last edited:
Yeah it is a pirelli copy. The top layer seems thinner than Pirelli though. One funny thing about Pirelli on St5 is that it is much bigger than the stated 2.4, when you put it next to a 2.6" mtb tire they look identical in size.

Yeah it is a pirelli copy. The top layer seems thinner than Pirelli though. One funny thing about Pirelli on St5 is that it is much bigger than the stated 2.4, when you put it next to a 2.6" mtb tire they look identical in size.
Did you measure them? Tire makers have incentives to overstate the size (to reduce weight in their supposed width).

The tread of the super moto seems to have been inspired by the Pirelli exclusive tires on the Stromer, but I doubt Pirelli holds any patents to it and Pirelli probably copied it from another tire manufacturer also. There are only so many tread designs companies can think of at this point without literally rethinking the wheel.

I don't know if I'm blind but I still see no similarity at all.

I doubt Schwalbe even referenced the Pirelli.

They look completely different pattern to me. 😳
Yes granted they look different but the function of the pattern treads are the same

Why do you guys think it's a Pirelli copy?

I'm sure that they both had the same or similar goals, to make a good tire for ebikes, but their tread patterns are completely different and they do not look similar at all.

I would say Pirelli was a copy of Bridgestone S21 or S22 motorcycle tires. (Although, I'm pretty sure they're not)

It is not the pattern that is similar, the Pirelli tire is very much a balloonish tire laminated with a thick layer of additional rubber on top but not the sides. You can see this thick layer clearly from the side.

Previous moto x was more like a regular bicycle tire with a shallow pattern all over.

pirelli-eurobike17-cycl-e-tyre-920.jpg

Schwalbe Super Moto X has been a great tire for E-bikes and it is found on many mid-tier to top-tier E-bikes. They offer long service life (6000+ miles) and very good grip on dry surface.

Gleaning from all the feedback Schwalbe has received over the years, their newly announced 2021 Super Moto looks promising.

At first glance, it looks bald that is because the outer rubber compound is supposed to let the road surface 'bite' into it and thus enhancing traction. For E-bikes traveling at 20+ mph or 35 kmph, traction is quite important.

View attachment 67437

View attachment 67438

Reminds me of a real Moto tire! ;)

1601850634370.png

I've heard over the years that tread on road tires is pointless, just there for marketing. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not a big fan of the Moto because its weight and rolling resistance is so high. I think the G-One Speed line is much better for pure speed and weight, and the Almotion if longevity is a bigger factor. Unfortunately Schwalbe discontinued the 27.5x2.35 G-One Speed :/, which is a perfect size for e-bikes (I'd go for 26" but manufacturers are rarely choosing that for now, besides Stromer).

You could do a G One Speed up front and an Almotion in the back, since the back tire sees more wear and puncture risk.

Motos hit a low price point I guess, but biking is already so cheap and tires so pivotal to a good ride, spending more for top line Schwalbe is almost always worth it. I'm curious as to why it's so popular, maybe it's just that the Almotion doesn't come that wide?

Oh and Schwalbe tires are ridiculously overpriced in the US, I can't fathom why they double prices stateside. Eg $40 for the Gs vs $80 stateside.
Yep they are overpriced.

View attachment 67437

View attachment 67438
Sorry but I'm taking real treads over this concept. It's gonna hydroplane on wet pavement, especially when you hit some areas that have sand on the pavement or road oils etc. Properly designed treads work.

Sorry but I'm taking real treads over this concept. It's gonna hydroplane on wet pavement, especially when you hit some areas that have sand on the pavement or road oils etc. Properly designed treads work.

Hey Mike. Which of these 3 tires should I put on my new Frey CC. I mainly drive on bikepaths, streets, sidewalks and light trails for now.

Schwable moto-X 27.5*2.4" flat tires are more suitable for road commuting, and MAXXIS 27.5*2.8 tires are more suitable for mountainous and all-terrain. We also have MAXXIS 27.5*2.4 tires.Which tire do you prefe

The moto's feel unstable to me depending on where you are riding, and the ebike you put them on. If it's just recreational, casual cruising, you are doing, then they are fine. Commuter purpose ? No way. I prefer the Kenda Kwik Journeys. Now those grip the pavement like super glue, when you need them too, but roll super well. I like their pressure rating better, and their durability is excellent.

Hey Mike. Which of these 3 tires should I put on my new Frey CC. I mainly drive on bikepaths, streets, sidewalks and light trails for now.

Schwable moto-X 27.5*2.4" flat tires are more suitable for road commuting, and MAXXIS 27.5*2.8 tires are more suitable for mountainous and all-terrain. We also have MAXXIS 27.5*2.4 tires.Which tire do you prefe
I don't have experience riding that Maxxis. But if you go on trails frequently and are not buying for comfort only, I would avoid the moto. Maxxis in general, makes some very nice tires. But each type is different. Usually they are higher in price too, but seem worth the premium.

I don't have experience riding that Maxxis. But if you go on trails frequently and are not buying for comfort only, I would avoid the moto. Maxxis in general, makes some very nice tires. But each type is different. Usually they are higher in price too, but seem worth the premium.
Ok, I am going to change to the Maxxis. There is no price difference. Which size should I select. 2.4 or 2.8?

Based on your use case, I would go with the Supermotos in the 27.5 x 2.4" for better efficiency...the Maxxis tires are designed primarily for off-road.

Last edited:
Which of these 3 tires should I put on my new Frey CC. I mainly drive on bikepaths, streets, sidewalks and light trails for now.

I believe you live in Arizona and don't ride in rainy conditions.
The Schwalbe Super MotoX is their most popular tire and it is found on several mid-range to higher-tier E-bikes. It offers very long service life and because of the air volume, it also offers some suspension effect.
For bike paths, streets and light trails in dry conditions, Supermoto-X is a better choice. Maxxis makes excellent off-road tires. If you use such a tire on the streets, the knobs make whizzing noise and some people don't like it but some don't mind it.

I did about 71 miles in rain yesterday. Because I dropped the tire pressure to ~38 psi, I never felt I was out of control even in pouring rain.
While the 2.8" version has higher air volume, the 2.4" version has excellent puncture protection.

1603380286934.png

I believe you live in Arizona and don't ride in rainy conditions.
The Schwalbe Super MotoX is their most popular tire and it is found on several mid-range to higher-tier E-bikes. It offers very long service life and because of the air volume, it also offers some suspension effect.
For bike paths, streets and light trails in dry conditions, Supermoto-X is a better choice. Maxxis makes excellent off-road tires. If you use such a tire on the streets, the knobs make whizzing noise and some people don't like it but some don't mind it.

I did about 71 miles in rain yesterday. Because I dropped the tire pressure to ~38 psi, I never felt I was out of control even in pouring rain.
While the 2.8" version has higher air volume, the 2.4" version has excellent puncture protection.

View attachment 69374
What tires are you on Rav?

Back