Testing Giant Explore E3+...

Mtl_Biker

Searching for the right e-bike...

I've been bike commuting half-way to work and back quite often... I drive to the halfway point and ride from there because I'm getting older (67) and riding back at the end of a tough day is often very difficult for me... high humidity and strong headwinds. That half way commute is about 30 km round trip. Riding the whole distance from my home to work would bring the total distance up to almost 60 km round trip. So I've been looking into e-bikes. After checking reviews here and every place I could find, and checking with local dealers (I believe in finding a good local dealer and building a relationship), I've at least narrowed my search down to a dealer I'm very impressed with: Gianella Cycles in the West Island of Montreal, Quebec. They were the most helpful and friendliest on the phone of all I'd called, and when I met them they continued that, and all other things being equal, are the dealer I'd most like to buy from. Anyway, cut to the chase...

They were kind enough to arrange a full-day test ride (so I could do my commute) of a Giant Explore E3+, 2019 model. I picked it up last night and put it on my bike rack (first impression was that it's really heavy!) and took it home. This particular bike didn't have fenders or rear rack, so I would have to ride with a backpack in order to bring what I need with me. (A lot less comfortable than with panniers.)

This bike is a "medium" size bike, which from the sizing guide on the Giant site should be right for me. I'm 5' 7" but have a 30" inseam (for pants). I was disappointed to find that even though the frame might be the right size for me, there was no way to lower the seat to the proper height for me. The dealer suggested that when/if I buy one of these, the seat post would have to be shortened because it wouldn't go down far enough. Measuring from the top of the seat, in a straight line down the seat tube to the top of a fully extended pedal, the lowest it would go was 34" and ideal for me (judging from my other bikes) would be 32.5". Doable, but not ideal.

Anyway, this morning I set out to ride from home all the way to my office and got up even earlier than normal to do it. Just as I was about to go out the door it started POURING rain! Great big drops! No way was I going to ride in that, especially with an almost new and spotlessly clean loaner bike. So I waited it out and about 30 minutes after it stopped, I hoped the roads had dried enough for me to ride. So off I went.

My route took me through city streets, through part of a nature park with gravel and up some hills that always took a fair bit of energy. Unfortunately everything was still very wet and without fenders, the bike and I got pretty dirty. When I got the bike, the battery was fully charged (this model has the 400w battery instead of the 500w that I'd like) and not knowing how far I'd get I used Eco+ mode all the way to work. I did also turn off the assist for a few minutes just to see what the bike felt like and I found it really wasn't bad to pedal unassisted. But most of the ride was in ECO+ mode. (There are, OFF, ECO, ECO+, NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT+ modes, with the higher ones giving more power but reducing the possible range.) The motor did make noise which I guess I shouldn't have been surprised about. (I don't know how it compared with other bikes.) But when riding faster you don't even hear the motor. Not bothersome anyway.

The saddle wasn't comfortable, but it was too high for me and also hadn't really been adjusted right in terms of front to back and tilt. So I'm rather sore after arriving at work. My regular saddle is hard as a rock also, but with proper adjustment it's fine. I'm sure this one would be too, once adjusted.

With my other bikes, I'd comfortably pedal at a cadence of 90-95 rpm, and with this e-bike I was easily doing 90. I was still getting good exercise, but the hills were no problem at all. Wow! Even in ECO+ mode I was loving it! The bike computer said that in ECO+ mode the battery should power me through 113km. (ECO was 128km, Normal 92, Sport 77 and Sport+ 51.) I don't know how accurate that prediction is. When I arrived at work, 28km later, the battery showed 77% charge remaining and the predicted range for ECO+ was 87km (ECO 99km, Normal 71, Sport 59 and Sport+ 39). I plan to try out Normal and the Sport modes on my way home, which will be a shorter distance because I'm riding back to the dealer to return the bike instead of all the way back home.

On my regular half distance commute, on a regular bike, I seem to average 18 or 19 kph over the trip (according to my Apple Watch Workouts app). With this e-bike, on a longer distance, I averaged 24 kph! Without even working up as much of a sweat as usual. On the flat I was doing 32 kph and on hills where I usually only managed about 14, I was easily going at 20+. In ECO+ mode! And not feeling the burn in my legs that I usually would.

Today we have a high heat and humidity warning (most of the East Coast has it) with Humidex values reaching 40 to 45. Temperture forecast is for 33 degrees! Not great for cycling! And probably with my regular bike I wouldn't be riding today. But with this e-bike I'm looking forward to my ride back.

For my purchase I'm waiting to find out what the 2020 models will offer, but I'm thinking something like the Explore E1+ (or new equivalent) or maybe the ToughRoad. I'd like to have RideControl EVO or Charge, and I must have a rear luggage rack, fenders and mud guards. I also want a model with the 500w battery instead of 400w.

I'll post a follow up about the ride home after I've done it.

Hey Mtl, yeah this bike seems pretty heavy, I haven't weighed my 2019 Explore E+3 but a wild guess would be around 55 pounds? interesting observation on the size, I wondered at one point if the lbs gave me a large instead of a medium because the frame does seem pretty big. I'm 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam, and only have an inch or so frame clearance. I didn't have any problems with seat adjustment though.

I have been impressed with the overall quality of the bike. I have a 5 mile flat commute each way, and ride into work on Level 3 (Normal?), and I use up about 10% without breaking a sweat. On the way home I turn off the motor except for a boost in a couple of spots where I need to ride in traffic and intersections, using about 4% (unless I take detours to get more exercise). Love how this bike seems to coast forever.

I'm a fair weather rider so originally didn't feel the need to get some fenders. Don't need them right now, I'm at 24 out of the last 25 days riding to work, and it really killed me to have to drive into work on the one day I didn't ride.

This bike is perfect because I can get to work quickly (20 minutes by car, less than 30 by bicycle), and get some exercise along the way. The Level 3 on the way to work elevates my endorphins just enough to give me a natural boost throughout the day, a "side-affect" I never even considered when I bought it. Then again, I thought my ebike smile would go away after a few rides, but I still get that stupid smile every time I accelerate!

Hey Mtl, yeah this bike seems pretty heavy, I haven't weighed my 2019 Explore E+3 but a wild guess would be around 55 pounds? interesting observation on the size, I wondered at one point if the lbs gave me a large instead of a medium because the frame does seem pretty big. I'm 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam, and only have an inch or so frame clearance. I didn't have any problems with seat adjustment though.

I have been impressed with the overall quality of the bike. I have a 5 mile flat commute each way, and ride into work on Level 3 (Normal?), and I use up about 10% without breaking a sweat. On the way home I turn off the motor except for a boost in a couple of spots where I need to ride in traffic and intersections, using about 4% (unless I take detours to get more exercise). Love how this bike seems to coast forever.

I'm a fair weather rider so originally didn't feel the need to get some fenders. Don't need them right now, I'm at 24 out of the last 25 days riding to work, and it really killed me to have to drive into work on the one day I didn't ride.

This bike is perfect because I can get to work quickly (20 minutes by car, less than 30 by bicycle), and get some exercise along the way. The Level 3 on the way to work elevates my endorphins just enough to give me a natural boost throughout the day, a "side-affect" I never even considered when I bought it. Then again, I thought my ebike smile would go away after a few rides, but I still get that stupid smile every time I accelerate!

One thing I found out is that every Giant model uses different sizing... meaning that medium size on the Explore E3+ is NOT the same as medium on the E1+ or the ToughRoad. So you really need to check. In my case, the E3 in medium is too tall. The top tube is too close to my uh, sensitive parts, so if I have to make a sudden stop on uneven ground, I may have a problem. So with that model, I'd need the frame in small size.

You're talking about power levels in terms of numbers... is that really how they display on your E3? On the E3 that I tested yesterday the levels were names and not numbers. That makes me think that the display on your bike might be different from this one. Strange. Can you please confirm? If they're different, could it be a country specific thing? I'm in Canada.

For me fenders are an absolute must although like you, I'm more of a fair weather rider. But with 12 hours between riding to work and then riding home, the weather here can change a lot. You never know when there will be rain. Plus my route takes me through part of a nature park and there are often muddy puddles to navigate. Yesterday with the E3 I was filthy at the end, and even the front tire threw up stuff onto my face and eyeglasses.

But overall I was very impressed with the bike.

Okay, at the end of the day yesterday I had to ride back to the dealer to return the loaner E3+. That distance was 19km but it was murderously hot and humid with the Humidex Index reported at 45C. And when I plugged in the bike shop info to Google Maps, it reported that the shop might be closed when I arrived. I checked, and was surprised and shocked to find that they close at 7pm on a Friday night. And I had just less than an hour to make it to them in time. (They HAD TO have the bike back last night and if I was late, I wouldn't have been able to bring them the bike Saturday morning - work again.) So I really pushed myself and the bike to make it in time.

I used "Normal" power assist mode just about all the way but did try Sport and Sport+ a couple of times. I'd really have to make more tests, but I didn't find a lot of difference between those modes and Normal. What I did find was that when I tried to fly down a hill, once the speed reached about 33 kph, I suddenly felt a really big drag from the motor. The dealer explained later that because of the legal limit, the motor cuts out at that speed and thus I was pedaling through the motor's resistance. Maybe I should have turned the power assist completely to the OFF position. I don't know and if in the future I get another try, I'll test that out.

With the heat and a strong headwind, I was still finding it tough pedaling... but it was probably much easier than with my regular bike. Hills were easy though. My average speed on the trip was 24.4 kph. Not bad. Considering that I had to stop completely at a couple of traffic lights. Most of the time while riding the speed reported was just over 30 kph. Again not bad, and a lot better than I could manage with my regular bike.

So, at the end of the day, with the ride in using ECO+ mode and the ride back using Normal (mostly) the display reported the battery level remaining at 49%. Remaining range in ECO would be 63km, ECO+ 55km, Normal 45km, Sport 37 and Sport+ 25. So the bike would certainly be up to the task of my full daily commute. And this was with the 400w battery. Models with the 500w should be even better. I did just under 50 kilometers on the bike.

I really liked the bike. And it's whet my appetite for an e-bike, either as good as this one or better. I'm waiting for my dealer to get information on the 2020 models and what they offer, but based on today's models I'd be looking at the Explore E1+ or ToughRoad E. If the bike doesn't come with fenders and a rear rack, I'd have to add those. And I'd like a really nice display and based on the current Giant website info, it would be the RideControl EVO or perhaps Charge. The display on the E3+ that I tested was actually pretty nice but it didn't seem to match the description of the displays on the web site. My understanding is that this was the RideControl One, which from the web description doesn't have a display... just control buttons and you're supposed to connect your phone to it. Can anyone confirm that? Are all RideControl Ones the same thing all over the world?

Bottom line is that I think this bike was terrific and I can't wait to get a good e-bike of my own.

Attachments

• IMG_3442.jpg
    IMG_3442.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG_3436.jpg
    IMG_3436.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 754
Hi Mtl, based on the photos you posted, the color scheme of the bike and the display look like they are for a 2018 model, and not the 2019. 2018 included an LED display, but the 2019 Explore E+3 has the Ride Control One which doesn't have a display. It's a simple control with a few led lights to indicate mode and battery level. It looks like the 2019 Explore E+1 does have an LED display.
1563637942888.png

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/explore-eplus-3-2018
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/explore-eplus-3-gts

The Yamaha motors are supposed to be free-wheeling and not have any drag and when I ride my bike with the power level at 0 I never get any "resistance" feeling, the bike feels pretty natural. When I am riding with PAS on and I hit the 20mph limit cutoff, it does feel like there is some resistance but I don't really know if that is because of the PAS dropping off or if there is any actual resistance.

Hi Mtl, based on the photos you posted, the color scheme of the bike and the display look like they are for a 2018 model, and not the 2019. 2018 included an LED display, but the 2019 Explore E+3 has the Ride Control One which doesn't have a display. It's a simple control with a few led lights to indicate mode and battery level. It looks like the 2019 Explore E+1 does have an LED display.

The Yamaha motors are supposed to be free-wheeling and not have any drag and when I ride my bike with the power level at 0 I never get any "resistance" feeling, the bike feels pretty natural. When I am riding with PAS on and I hit the 20mph limit cutoff, it does feel like there is some resistance but I don't really know if that is because of the PAS dropping off or if there is any actual resistance.

You're probably right... I never even asked what year that demo bike was. I wonder what the display on that bike really was... RideControl Charge? I liked it, but it did seem kind of flimsy.

Likewise you're probably right about the drag. I suspect that if I'd turned the assist to OFF (I guess that's the equivalent to your 0) then I wouldn't have had any drag going downhill at higher speeds. I wish I could have tried that.

Thanks very much for your comments!

Okay, at the end of the day yesterday I had to ride back to the dealer to return the loaner E3+. That distance was 19km but it was murderously hot and humid with the Humidex Index reported at 45C. And when I plugged in the bike shop info to Google Maps, it reported that the shop might be closed when I arrived. I checked, and was surprised and shocked to find that they close at 7pm on a Friday night. And I had just less than an hour to make it to them in time. (They HAD TO have the bike back last night and if I was late, I wouldn't have been able to bring them the bike Saturday morning - work again.) So I really pushed myself and the bike to make it in time.

I used "Normal" power assist mode just about all the way but did try Sport and Sport+ a couple of times. I'd really have to make more tests, but I didn't find a lot of difference between those modes and Normal. What I did find was that when I tried to fly down a hill, once the speed reached about 33 kph, I suddenly felt a really big drag from the motor. The dealer explained later that because of the legal limit, the motor cuts out at that speed and thus I was pedaling through the motor's resistance. Maybe I should have turned the power assist completely to the OFF position. I don't know and if in the future I get another try, I'll test that out.

With the heat and a strong headwind, I was still finding it tough pedaling... but it was probably much easier than with my regular bike. Hills were easy though. My average speed on the trip was 24.4 kph. Not bad. Considering that I had to stop completely at a couple of traffic lights. Most of the time while riding the speed reported was just over 30 kph. Again not bad, and a lot better than I could manage with my regular bike.

So, at the end of the day, with the ride in using ECO+ mode and the ride back using Normal (mostly) the display reported the battery level remaining at 49%. Remaining range in ECO would be 63km, ECO+ 55km, Normal 45km, Sport 37 and Sport+ 25. So the bike would certainly be up to the task of my full daily commute. And this was with the 400w battery. Models with the 500w should be even better. I did just under 50 kilometers on the bike.

I really liked the bike. And it's whet my appetite for an e-bike, either as good as this one or better. I'm waiting for my dealer to get information on the 2020 models and what they offer, but based on today's models I'd be looking at the Explore E1+ or ToughRoad E. If the bike doesn't come with fenders and a rear rack, I'd have to add those. And I'd like a really nice display and based on the current Giant website info, it would be the RideControl EVO or perhaps Charge. The display on the E3+ that I tested was actually pretty nice but it didn't seem to match the description of the displays on the web site. My understanding is that this was the RideControl One, which from the web description doesn't have a display... just control buttons and you're supposed to connect your phone to it. Can anyone confirm that? Are all RideControl Ones the same thing all over the world?

Bottom line is that I think this bike was terrific and I can't wait to get a good e-bike of my own.

Unless the front shock is a must, I would highly recommend the quick e plus for commuting. I’ve put 1400 on mine in 4 months and it’s been flawless. Bigger tires, fenders and a better, imho, display. Definitely recommend testing one before you pull the trigger, worth the extra $

Unless the front shock is a must, I would highly recommend the quick e plus for commuting. I’ve put 1400 on mine in 4 months and it’s been flawless. Bigger tires, fenders and a better, imho, display. Definitely recommend testing one before you pull the trigger, worth the extra $

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Quick E isn't really a model I'm seriously considering. I DO like having a front suspension (have bikes with and without and unless I'm doing pure road riding, I prefer the front suspension). Based on the 2019 specs, I haven't been looking at the Explore E+ 3 either (but that's the one the dealer let me try). I'd much prefer the Explore E+ 1 GTS, with the bigger battery, better display, rack, lights, front suspension, etc. And I like the bigger wheels/tires on the Explore over the Quick E. Again based on today's specs, I'd be looking at the Explore E+ 3 GTS, or the ToughRoad E+ GX with its better components. But on that one I'd have to add fenders and a rack, not to mention lights, making it an even more expensive purchase.

I'm just anxiously waiting to see what the 2020 models will offer.

well done on riding 60km round trip commute a day, and at 67, chapeau!

I sometimes use my mountain bike (a non ebike, an Orange Clockwork 29er) to commute to work (only about 2 miles) then take the scenic route home up over the hills and back along the cliffs (approx 10 miles), but I have added aftermarket mudguards (fenders) to stop me getting too dirty on the trails. I always buy my own lights anyway as they are relatively cheap and easy to replace and its best to get something that will suit your route (I have super bright ones for the hills and clifftops, and more conservative ones for the road).

The Explore e+ sounds like a great option for you, but you definitely need to sort out your seat height. You can buy aftermarket seat posts and mudguards and panniers if you think the bike is right for you, although obviously its easier to buy a bike that comes with everything you need from the off. I hope you find the bike that's right for you, hopefully they will be out soon and we can all finally get to see what is on offer from Giant.

Back