Tailbone soreness problem solved

Redwood

Region
USA
After experiencing tailbone soreness that lasted for over a week from my first ride on my XP 2.0 I searched online for bicycle seats that solved that problem and visited a couple local bike shops. My bike came with the softer, upgraded seat included with the recent Black Friday package. The guy at the bike shop recommended a “Body Geometry” brand “The Cup Gel, padding level 6” seat and offered to install it and let me test it out. I went on a 30 minute ride and experienced no soreness as a result, so I bought it for $50. Ironically (to me), it turns out a softer seat puts more pressure on my take than the firmer seat I purchased. I thought I’d post this for anyone having the same issue. I’m now lost forward to riding my bicycle over the nice waterfront paved trail also Humboldt Bay. Online, Planet Bike had some seats that may have worked well for around $40 but having the ability to have the seat installed and test it before buying was a definite plus for me.

Thanks for posting that. Will be ordering one. I put Cloud 9 seats on my cruisers after reading/watching great reviews. However... they are not working out for me. Bigger, softer seats don't necessarily make for a more "comfortable" ride especially for "larger boned" people.

Usually with a big cushy saddle, the cushy stuff just makes a poorly-fit saddle not sized to your anatomy properly ... tolerable for a longer period of time. It disguises the problem for hopefully long enough that your ride is over before the disguise wears off.

I bet a saddle thats a lot smaller than that Cup Gel would work fine, too. The biggest determining factor in a proper saddle shape is whether you pedal or not. If you do, then the less your saddle looks like a Cloud 9 (wide like a sofa, short nose) the better - thats a massive oversimplification but it holds up as a principle. In addition to this is stuff like saddle width (for your sit bones to rest on), center channel and nose position (arc'd up and may as well kiss those plums goodbye).

Aside from broad brush strokes though, a good saddle is different for each person. We have unique fingerprints, and buttprints too.

Attachments

• Buttprintb.jpg
    Buttprintb.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Buttprintc.jpg
    Buttprintc.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 172
  • buttprintd.jpg
    buttprintd.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Buttprintsa.jpg
    Buttprintsa.jpg