Superdelite trailer hitch issue

eaphoto1988

Region
United Kingdom
Hi all. I will be posting few topics but this is the first.
Quick explanation what I am planning and the what is the issue. End of April I am planning to go from London back to my home country of Lithuania and then back. Have a whole month to do that. Involves two ferries - one from London to Netherlands and then from Sweden to Lithuanian.
I am planning to moistly camp in places with electricity to charge my ebike, at the worse scenario hotel and also will be prepared for off-grid camping (planning to get a portable power station for that).
For all of my photo and camping gear, I have no choice but to get a trailer since my goal is to avoid wearing a back pack the whole journey if possible and have less weight pushing down on my tires and suspension.
I have a hiking trailer called benpacker. It can be converted into a bicycle trailer with additional drawbar. This is not an issue since they sell it on their website. Problem is the e-coupling. My dealer shop fullycharged is refusing to help and solve this issue saying I should not be adding anything between my rear axel and hub. It will most likely damage my internal gears. Then I showed them Webber coupling and all the options. One that looked a no brainer was to bolt it to the frame but they also denied this options as it would flex the frame while riding and could damage my ebike.
I got a call from the engineer while me ebike was being serviced and to be honest a lot of information got distorted because I was at work and last 30 minutes are very busy. He said my only choice is a quick release which can only do 40kg instead of the 80kg on the Webber ones. When picking up my ebike got a bag with a ripped page from instruction manual showing I have some sort of hook on my ebike. They sold me some sort of adapter which is basically some screws and washers. I looked for a long time in the shop comparing the photos from the page to me ebike and it was very different... Asked the guy to help me and he could not point anything specific what I have to do but at the same time I was given many warnings how I should not tinker with the bike or add anything myself... So this is where I am - benpacker says go to your dealer, Webber says dealer should install it and the dealer says no way I should be doing this and they won't be bothering setting up the quick release. Also for the quick release I have 0 information online what kind of connection can be even hooked on it... One shop has a list but I can open it since it is on their google drive.
Has anybody used any trailers on their superdelite?
These are all the links:

Hi all. I will be posting few topics but this is the first.
Quick explanation what I am planning and the what is the issue. End of April I am planning to go from London back to my home country of Lithuania and then back. Have a whole month to do that. Involves two ferries - one from London to Netherlands and then from Sweden to Lithuanian.
I am planning to moistly camp in places with electricity to charge my ebike, at the worse scenario hotel and also will be prepared for off-grid camping (planning to get a portable power station for that).
For all of my photo and camping gear, I have no choice but to get a trailer since my goal is to avoid wearing a back pack the whole journey if possible and have less weight pushing down on my tires and suspension.
I have a hiking trailer called benpacker. It can be converted into a bicycle trailer with additional drawbar. This is not an issue since they sell it on their website. Problem is the e-coupling. My dealer shop fullycharged is refusing to help and solve this issue saying I should not be adding anything between my rear axel and hub. It will most likely damage my internal gears. Then I showed them Webber coupling and all the options. One that looked a no brainer was to bolt it to the frame but they also denied this options as it would flex the frame while riding and could damage my ebike.
I got a call from the engineer while me ebike was being serviced and to be honest a lot of information got distorted because I was at work and last 30 minutes are very busy. He said my only choice is a quick release which can only do 40kg instead of the 80kg on the Webber ones. When picking up my ebike got a bag with a ripped page from instruction manual showing I have some sort of hook on my ebike. They sold me some sort of adapter which is basically some screws and washers. I looked for a long time in the shop comparing the photos from the page to me ebike and it was very different... Asked the guy to help me and he could not point anything specific what I have to do but at the same time I was given many warnings how I should not tinker with the bike or add anything myself... So this is where I am - benpacker says go to your dealer, Webber says dealer should install it and the dealer says no way I should be doing this and they won't be bothering setting up the quick release. Also for the quick release I have 0 information online what kind of connection can be even hooked on it... One shop has a list but I can open it since it is on their google drive.
Has anybody used any trailers on their superdelite?
These are all the links:

Hi —

the reason your dealer is refusing to facilitate your plan is likely bc R&M will not support many trailers on their Control Technology (full suspension Homage/Delite/Load) models or step-thrus (Homage/Delite). You may obtain a list of supported trailers from R&M. The only one I recognized here in the US was the Burley Nomad. Long story short: they do not support single-wheel models/seatpost attachments.

R&M does sell a trailer adapter to keep the tow bar away from frame/hub. It’s a simple solution and worked well for me with the Nomad. I believe the part nr is VK007 (this is from memory). The question remains whether It helps you at all.

i can tell you this much. I rode a Nevo across the US with an unsupported (by R&M) trailer. I had all kinds of problems, including stability and uneven tire wear. Eventually the E-14 was spouting errors AND the motor locked up. A neutral bike shop told me the bicycle frame was bent, which was causing all the problems.

I am certain R&M will take a “not responsible “ position if your bike frame, hub etc develops problems after towing an unsupported trailer. I felt at the time that R&M had been insufficienty transparent about these restrictions. The dealer took the lion’s share of the responsibility/pain, and I moved to the Load 60, which R&M said was better-suited for my hard-core touring while the Nevo less so.

i will update this post with the official list of trailers if I find it. It may have been updated as well.

Here is the offset for your trailer hitch:

and I found the R&M document. I see references to Weber hitches here:

Attachments

• Kompatibilitaetsliste_Anhaengekupplungen_DE_EN_MY2020.pdf
    102.7 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Hi —

the reason your dealer is refusing to facilitate your plan is likely bc R&M will not support many trailers on their Control Technology (full suspension Homage/Delite/Load) models or step-thrus (Homage/Delite). You may obtain a list of supported trailers from R&M. The only one I recognized here in the US was the Burley Nomad. Long story short: they do not support single-wheel models/seatpost attachments.

R&M does sell a trailer adapter to keep the tow bar away from frame/hub. It’s a simple solution and worked well for me with the Nomad. I believe the part nr is VK007 (this is from memory). The question remains whether It helps you at all.

i can tell you this much. I rode a Nevo across the US with an unsupported (by R&M) trailer. I had all kinds of problems, including stability and uneven tire wear. Eventually the E-14 was spouting errors AND the motor locked up. A neutral bike shop told me the bicycle frame was bent, which was causing all the problems.

I am certain R&M will take a “not responsible “ position if your bike frame, hub etc develops problems after towing an unsupported trailer. I felt at the time that R&M had been insufficienty transparent about these restrictions. The dealer took the lion’s share of the responsibility/pain, and I moved to the Load 60, which R&M said was better-suited for my hard-core touring while the Nevo less so.

i will update this post with the official list of trailers if I find it. It may have been updated as well.

Here is the offset for your trailer hitch:

and I found the R&M document. I see references to Weber hitches here:
Looks like I am stuck... What makes me angry is that I was told by the dealer I should not have any issues attaching a trailer in the future. Took me some time to get in shape and get a month off at work but now it looks like it won't be something I can go through.
After digging some more found that my high speed version can't legally have a trailer anyway so absolutely nobody wants to help me.
I will have to go the hard way - fly to my country, stay a week and then hike my way back since my trailer is designed to be a hiking trailer. At least gives me an option to use trains and buses and I might even see more as long as the terrain is not horrible or I have to lift the trailer over big obstacle like a fence.
Thx for the help and it answered my fair - frame or hub failure during the trip and I would be stuck in the middle of nowhere with zero chances to carry on

Back