Super Commuter Question

All other things being equal, which would be the better hill climber and to what degree is the difference? I'm referring to the Super Commuter 8 which has a rear cassette assembly, vs the Super Commuter 9 which has the Nuvinci internal gears. I guess I'm asking which has the lowest gear, or are they equal?
Thanks,
Rich

I used the Nuvinci + Bosch Performance combo for a month (replacement bike) and have also used the Bosch Performance drive with a cassette when I swapped e-bikes for a weekend with a colleague. Both e-bikes were 28mph iterations. The N380 bike was a Swiss made Flyer, whereas the 'cassette bike' was a Haibike Trekking Xduro S 5.0.

To answer your question, the cassette has a wider range of gears. I'll spare you the ratio math and simply narrate my experience. With the Nuvinci N380 I had trouble climbing hills above 12% grade and I even managed to stall a couple of times around 15% grade. With the cassette driven Haibike, I climbed an average 18% grade hill containing a short but steeper 22% grade section. It was tough but still doable. I weigh 220 pounds and am moderately fit.

I could not tell you exactly at what percentage grade you will start having trouble with the N380 because that depends on your fitness level and weight. But if you frequently need to climb hills above 12%, I would recommend staying with the cassette. Otherwise the N380 iteration will be more a lot more fun to ride.

A tip if you get the N380: you can easily shift to a lower gear ratio under load going uphill. But it's sometimes more difficult to twist 'to a higher gear' when gaining speed. The trick is to back off pedalling for a second whilst you shift. It makes the experience a lot easier on the hands if you tend to get blisters. This was the main issue I encountered.
If the chain ring is 3 speed just like what Yamaha uses on their ebikes, then using a nuvinci would be adequate even on steeper hills. Unfortunately, Bosch only uses single chain ring and the trend for nuvinci is to use belt drive, eliminating the feasibility of multiple speed chain ring.

I just switched from a 11/28 cassette/derailleur system to an 11spd Shimano Alfine IGH and I haven't worked out a chart for it but it definitely by feel has a lower low and a higher high gear. I use a Schlumpf High Speed drive crank set that is a 1:1 to 2.5:1 overdrive and after my initial rides it seems like there are 16spds out of the potential 22spds that are going to be efficient for my needs.

Sorry I don't have any more that some test rides on a Nuvinci but I do think that properly configured IGH hubs can provide all the range of gearing that e bikes need and potentially less service issues down the road.

Thank you all for the replies and information. I live in western Pennsylvania, and believe me, it's hilly and sometimes very steep. I live only 20 miles from Canton Avenue, probably the steepest(37%) residential street in the US. (See Bicycling Magazine p. 38 January/Feb. 2018 issue) So I'll probably stick with the cassette when the time comes for a new ebike.

Back