Sun hat / Clothing? Avoiding Sun?

ebikelike

Region
USA
Hi All,

Any good recommendations for a big hat that can protect from the sun and still not look like a fool or other sun avoidance tips/clothing?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Any good recommendations for a big hat that can protect from the sun and still not look like a fool or other sun avoidance tips/clothing?

Thanks!
Most of us seem to use a helmet, so this might be my only option for a sun hat like product.

Screenshot_20210810-183943_Chrome.jpg

Edit: a review.

Last edited:
I need to do some more sunscreen before next summer. My old skin is getting beat up by the sun!😩☀️🏜

I wear a full face fox rampage helmet that pretty much covers everything: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...IZWxtZXRzOjE6MzoxMDAwMDA1MDRfY2NDYXQxMDAwNTQ=
So the SPF 70 sunscreen is for the times I'm off the bike shopping or running errands.
I've hit my chin on pavement 5 times, and never the top sides or back of my head. So pretty much the main reason I need a helmet is to protect my chin.
And yes, on realfeel days of 105 deg, I can ride without sweat dripping in my eyes. Lots of vent holes, covered with metal screen to keep sticks out. Also the sun.
I also wear dickies or red hat dark blue long sleeve long pants, to keep sun off everything. Also white cotton.poly work gloves. I'm never as hot as when I'm sunburned. + of the work clothing, when I hit the pavement I get no road rash. Last hit 11/17, 25 mph, broke chin, 7 stitches on chin, no road rash on arms or legs.
When I work in the yard I wear a full brim hard hat from 3M or Bullard. Comes from Mcmaster.com . Hard hats allow any breeze to blow under and dry my hair. I find it cooler than straw hats.

Last edited:
Most of us seem to use a helmet, so this might be my only option for a sun hat like product.

View attachment 96124

Edit: a review.
I think @David Berry mentioned that da brim on the daily rides thread. Maybe with a cloth attached to cover the back of the neck.

Thanks for the suggestions! I currently do not wear a helmet. I wonder if DaBrim would work with a baseball hat. I looked at getting a fishing hat but they flap so much in the wind.

Thanks for the suggestions! I currently do not wear a helmet. I wonder if DaBrim would work with a baseball hat. I looked at getting a fishing hat but they flap so much in the wind.
You're making a huge mistake by not wearing a helmet. You'll get road rash on your head a long time before the sun gets you. Get bumped by a car without a helmet on, and you won't have to worry about either.

I found that a cycling helmet with a front sun visor really helps keeping out the sun. So used to it now it feels weird without it.

Hi All,

Thanks!
i know the question was "hat" but why not sunscreen? a hat has to be quite large to cover all the angles from which sun might get your neck, ears, nose, etc. not conducive to cycling IMO, lots of flapping and drag and distraction and flying off. with the latest sprays, even someone like myself who hates using products on their skin can deal with a quick coating of 50+ 10 minutes before a ride.

If you're going to put something on your head anyway, maybe try a helmet that will do more than shade you from the sun. A good modern helmet is extremely lightweight and comfortable. Not cheap, but well worth the money. Don't look for one at Walmart though. Try a few quality helmets at your local bike shop. The DaBrim won't work with a hat because it is too tight fitting.

If you're going to put something on your head anyway, maybe try a helmet that will do more than shade you from the sun. A good modern helmet is extremely lightweight and comfortable. Not cheap, but well worth the money. Don't look for one at Walmart though. Try a few quality helmets at your local bike shop. The DaBrim won't work with a hat because it is too tight fitting.
Hey, the $24 Zefal helmet I wore from Walmart did a fine job protecting me last year. Granted it wasn’t a major crash but then it doesn’t have to be a major crash to injure your head.
I guarantee its better than what he’s wearing now!

Attachments

• A9FA78E0-0BBB-4C82-AA12-7857BB9970D8.jpeg
    A9FA78E0-0BBB-4C82-AA12-7857BB9970D8.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 195
  • 15A0C57B-DB9F-4312-956A-A7AF939B4B67.jpeg
    15A0C57B-DB9F-4312-956A-A7AF939B4B67.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 185
If you’re gonna kill yourself you should have the right headgear. Here’s a repro kamikaze cap. It’s pretty good because it keeps the sun off your neck! Has a flip down visor too. Lots of them on the online shops.
60058940-A56D-47FA-9B82-544FBE0EC9BB.jpeg

Haha, thanks for caring! You all are great and are scaring me now!! I do have a helmet. I will reconsider the helmet setup with the dabrim or one of the other covers. A hat or cover is better for me. I just do not use sunscreen.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks for caring! You all are great and are scaring me now!! I do have a helmet. I will reconsider the helmet setup with the dabrim or one of the other covers. A hat or cover is better for me. I just do not use sunscreen.
Definitely go for the helmet.

I first heard of this when I randomly came across a group called the "hellhat posse".

it's a whole community of equestrian riders who DIY cowboy brims to full helmets. I hate to share a pinterest link, but here you go...

Hi All, I went out and bought Da brim and am ready to use it with the helmet. Ironically, in their literature it says it may cause the helmet to fail, lol that stinks I guess it defeats the reason to wear the helmet in the first place? or just legalese, they have to say it?

Back