SRAM co-founder's global bicycle philanthropy

Jeremy McCreary

Region
USA
City
Carlsbad, CA
Frederick Day, SRAM co-founder, has been donating tens of thousands of (non-electric) bikes to tsunami survivors in Indonesia and Sri Lanka and to the rural poor of Africa for basic transportation. For recipients, his philanthropic work has freed up many hours a day that were previously lost in walking to jobs, schools, clinics, etc.

Very impressive indeed.

Last edited:
Truly outstanding work and thoughtfulness on his part.
It's too bad that more don't think along these lines, in this
I got'a have more $$$$ attitude of today's thinking.

Frederick Day, SRAM co-founder, has been donating tens of thousands of (non-electric) bikes to tsunami survivors in Indonesia and Sri Lanka and to the rural poor of Africa for basic transportation. For recipients, his philanthropic work has freed up many hours a day that were previously lost in walking to jobs, schools, etc.

Very impressive indeed.
Impressive indeed. In contrast, think of all the bike graveyards in China as a result of the bike sharing boom and bust and how just a fraction of them could have helped families in need. On a deeper level, it’s the result of extreme consumerism and a waste of resources.

I love that he mentioned Return Of Investment, or R.O.I., and it wasn't followed by the "money" but actual positive community impact. My work has a high number of robotics. They, robotics, seem to increase every year. All these robots have a small sign mounted to the base that says when they were installed, what the net investment was and when the R.O.I. will return a profit, as in money. I've never looked at R.O.I. as anything other than profit driven for financial gain before watching this TED talk.

Back