Speed limit, not class limit!

elliot friedman

I purchased my class 3 bike because it had all of the components I considered important. Speed not necessarily being one of them. I wanted it to be lightweight, a better than average drivetrain, and to look like a bicycle, not a motorcycle. I just wanted to be able ride a bicycle again. Neurological and muscular issues prohibited me from riding my trusty 10 speed for any length of time. At 68, my ebike gave me a new lease on life. I've owned it for a year and I try to ride everyday after work on a local bike path near my home averaging between 5 and 10 miles. Very rarely do I go above 20 mpg mainly due to pedestrian traffic or just the fact that I like to maintain control of the lightweight bike on a less than perfect asphalt. Almost every evening a police cruiser patrols the path. I smile and jesture to them and go along my way. I don't think i should have any problems.
If a rider is speeding in a congested area or acting irresponsibly in any way while on the bike, then summonses should be given. I have no problem with that. In NYC in front of my building, I've seen summonses given to cyclists for going the wrong way on a one way avenue's bike lane or for wearing two earbuds while riding on their bikes. One, I guess is OK.
If my bike has the capability of pedal assist up to 28 mpg, why should it be illegal if I use it responsibly? There have been numerous times when I know I'm traveling 22-23 mpg and other cyclists on non-assisted bikes are whizzing by me on an empty stretch of path. More power to them, I think that's great.

Last edited:
Many similar thoughts here as well, including components selected to my standards. My bike is marked as a Class 2, but it has been completely re-powered with a 1500w conversion kit, done in a manner where darn few will recognize the change. So it's pretty much a sleeper. Though I do have the max speed set to 20ish, early on when first test riding/seeing what it could do, the bike proved it would still be accelerating briskly at 35mph when held wide open (I ran out of room).

My thought is, if I ever did want to run at higher than legal speeds, it would be when there is nobody else is around, so unless an enforcement officer of some type is hiding behind a bush, nobody is going to know I'm going over the speed limit, or care..... -Al

I hear you,,can't believe how many laws they have in NY about everything!! Anyway my car will do 120mph but I only drive 65 on the freeway, same scenario. If the highest speed limit in the US is about 85 out west here then why don't vehicles have limiters on them so they cannot exceed that legal limit??
Why since it is illegal to drink and drive, do bars have parking lots?

Back