Specialized Como Motor and Battery Failure and Unsuccessful Repair

Lori9329

Region
USA
I previously posted about my Specialized Como 4 motor and battery failing after 3 1/2 years/2,500 miles. It was out of warranty and I was very disappointed that Specialized did not make it right. They offered to replace the motor and battery at a small discount and would not attempt to repair the motor. My son removed and opened the motor and discovered that the belt had broken. He ordered and installed a new and better belt for less than $10! He did have to buy some specialized tools too. The bike runs better than is has for a long time! Unfortunately, the battery life remains an issue, but, at least I will get some more use out of the bike. I would like to see the industry move to ebikes that can be repaired more easily including motor and battery replacement - better investment, better for the environment! I am happy to provide more details on the repair if anyone needs them!

If you google "brose motor repair" you can find videos of people disassembling them and pointing out all the common failure points (plus warnings about what not to disassemble)
Where do you buy the "0.1 Nm torque wrench"?

Please provide the details!

Please name them in detail!

Big brands have stopped "repairing" things, They "replace" them, and that relates to the cars, too. It is the "post-modernism" thing, unfortunately.
seems like some laws are coming in forcing manufacturers to stock spare-parts for a number of years (7?) for domestic appliances. used to be car manufacturers had to stock them for 25 years, dunno if that changed. definitely a cause worth fighting for; both for us users and environmental reasons too. we need to protest this vigorously - can't be we're forced to dish out 1000 bucks if just a small parts needed replacement.
see my post regarding turbo-x battery.

Repair an old iPhone first.
would never buy such an overprized&overrated item anyway.
as lithium-batteries are not d best regarding pollution, more effort needs to be made to make them last as long as possible. and not throw them away -sorry, "recycle"!- years before they actually become useless.

would never buy such an overprized&overrated item anyway.
You did buy a Specialized :) Well, I own two of them, and expect they will stop working some day. For the moment, I own three Vado batteries and four SL Range Extenders, just in case :)
as lithium-batteries are not d best regarding pollution, more effort needs to be made to make them last as long as possible. and not throw them away -sorry, "recycle"!- years before they actually become useless.
You are absolutely right. Unfortunately, the market does not want to work according to your rules :)

i bought 4 defective ebikes on ebay. different brands. decided i have to learn more about d subject. and thought that after having kept my (much more complicated) motorcycles on d road for d past 40 years, this wouldn't be that hard. but now i'm stuck with d electronics :(

market works for d corporations and if we keep our mouths shut, nothing will ever change. or get worse.

I have bought 4 different new e-bikes (two in 2019, one in 2020, and yet another in 2021), and any of them is operating. The electronics is the thing making an e-bike very different to a traditional bicycle.

I have bought 4 different new e-bikes (two in 2019, one in 2020, and yet another in 2021), and any of them is operating. The electronics is the thing making an e-bike very different to a traditional bicycle.
.....obviously.... well i joined d forum in d hope to find help regarding repairs. it's not rocket-science, innit :D:rolleyes:

It is :) Simply saying: If you buy a 2015 Turbo X then do not expect much.
Unless you need a battery fire in your home.
why, do they have a reputation? more than others?
i've build myself a powerwall, 22kWh, mainly from recycled ebike-batteries, so far so good :oops:

but why do you say this - are they famous for catching fire?
Li-Ion batteries are known for catching fire.
Were you born, like, yesterday? :D

Back