Sometimes you really mess up.

fooferdoggie

We got our first flat on our tandem today. About 1.5 miles from home in the rain and the Stans sealant did not work. But I have not had much luck with sealant in the rain. I was debating on walking or changing the tire we were on the bike path but it was raining. We had groceries on the back so I figured it may be easier to change it. I tried refilling it with a co2 only to discover I had a presto adaptor on it and not the schrader valve the bike has. Well I doubt it would have held anyway so I take it off pop out the tube I see where there ole happened because of the stands leak but I don't find anything coming out of the inside of the tire. I get the pump off the bike and crap it is a presto only pump. I don't know if I assumed it worked for both or I bought both before I had the bike in hand I don't remember.
So I put the wheel back on and we push it home. We have roadside service but I debating on calling and how long would I wait since we are not too far away. It was raining lightly but 52 degrees so we walked.
Got to grab the right pump tomorrow before we go on a long ride. I hope my commute bikes pump does both then I can swap them.

I doubt Slime would have worked any better than Stans, although I have no experience with Stans. I wouldn't think rain would matter, but sometimes nothing's going to work! And I've never in my life had a bike with Presta valves. It's pretty easy to tell the difference, but that's easy to say in hindsight. A lot of pumps/CO2 inflaters come with adapters for both. Nice to have in case you run across someone on the trail with valves different than yours who needs air. Sorry you had to figure that out the hard way.

I'd never normally hesitate to fix a flat on the road, but rain could definitely make a difference.

Glad you were fairly close to home.

TT

I doubt Slime would have worked any better than Stans, although I have no experience with Stans. I wouldn't think rain would matter, but sometimes nothing's going to work! And I've never in my life had a bike with Presta valves. It's pretty easy to tell the difference, but that's easy to say in hindsight. A lot of pumps/CO2 inflaters come with adapters for both. Nice to have in case you run across someone on the trail with valves different than yours who needs air. Sorry you had to figure that out the hard way.

I'd never normally hesitate to fix a flat on the road, but rain could definitely make a difference.

Glad you were fairly close to home.

TT
hard to tell but when I got a flat in the rain slime did not work either. I will have to see if I can find the hole tomorrow see how big it is. I have only had a few bikes with out presta. the bike only has 2" tires. but both my inflators are presta only. I know when I got the regular pump I was after one of the ones that work more like a floor pump but I could not find the one I had r my other bike. I bet I didn't to even check on this one just bought it because it was what I was after in style. . ya rain takes the fun out of it and at night too. I just wonder how good the pickup service is now? I mean it may be bad the day after new years.

Here in NJ at this time of year, anymore I am very hesitant in going more then 10 miles away from Homebase. Shortened hours of daylight. But especially more so, temps in the 40's and below that can cause real issues with hyperthermia should a calamity such as a flat tire grinds me to a halt.

As one who has suffered a couple dozen or more flats with the Haibike Full FatSix, I figure an average of 30 to 50 minutes to deal with a flat. And that, is having all of my flat tire repair gear laid out next to the bike. Pump, levers, tools to undo the rack and thru-axle, tire patch kit and/or spare tube. This is certainly not a Nascar 13 second pit stop, no, this is a dedicated, step by step procedure to repair a flattened tire. When you add a cold wind into the mix, maybe the sun is about setting and there you are, a nicely warmed up rider having to stop and do a rapid cool down in making that road side repair.

Summer time, meh, no big deal. Winter time...... things get magnified quick.

100_4809.JPG

My last flat tire on-road repair-October, 2020. Indian Summer conditions, warm breeze, low 70's. Sit in the grass and go about making repairs. Still, after disconnecting the rear rack, thru axle, shift front chain ring to small ring, rear cassette to high gear, it's a procedure that requires things to be done in it's proper order!

100_4810.JPG

Yes, I am here to tell you that Tannus Armour is not thorn proof! And no, you cannot ride on a flattened tire with a fat bike cause the weight on the flattened tire/rim will result in a bent rim; it's just too much weight. Now, picture these in a winter environment, with a winter northwest wind, fading light, maybe a snow flurry or raw rain drop in the air.......something to ponder, no?

with the tandem it takes two people to do it. I have a great two leg kickstand that helps but you cant really lift the rear by yourself or the bike will fall over. lucky they put a through axle on back it makes it easier. the tire is close to worn out so that did not help. we may not go out into the boonies in winter and we have the pickup service. but not cycling in cycling clothes is usually chilly. I was able to swap pumps between the bikes so I don't have to buy another one. I need a new co2 inflator though. put a new tire on too. I found out why you get more flats when its wet ti is because rubber cuts easier when it is wet.

I bought two pumps that were supposed to fit either Shraeder/Presta but wound up being poor match for either. Our Park District installed a bike repair station with a massive hand pump that has a dual head. Even that one is a #$#%^ to use.

I only use pumps with Shraeder fittings now, For my older tires that are Presta, I keep a Shraeder adapter on at least one of the wheels. If I get a rim sized for Presta these days, I drill it out for Shraeder.

I bought two pumps that were supposed to fit either Shraeder/Presta but wound up being poor match for either. Our Park District installed a bike repair station with a massive hand pump that has a dual head. Even that one is a #$#%^ to use.

I only use pumps with Shraeder fittings now, For my older tires that are Presta, I keep a Shraeder adapter on at least one of the wheels. If I get a rim sized for Presta these days, I drill it out for Shraeder.
I don't mind presta they tend to work well for me. I was able to switch the pump on my commute bike to shraeder and put the other pump on my commute bike. just need a new co2 pump. man we need to go shopping and it is going to rain all day. well its not bad riding in the rain but its hard together started.

We got our first flat on our tandem today. About 1.5 miles from home in the rain and the Stans sealant did not work. But I have not had much luck with sealant in the rain. I was debating on walking or changing the tire we were on the bike path but it was raining. We had groceries on the back so I figured it may be easier to change it. I tried refilling it with a co2 only to discover I had a presto adaptor on it and not the schrader valve the bike has. Well I doubt it would have held anyway so I take it off pop out the tube I see where there ole happened because of the stands leak but I don't find anything coming out of the inside of the tire. I get the pump off the bike and crap it is a presto only pump. I don't know if I assumed it worked for both or I bought both before I had the bike in hand I don't remember.
So I put the wheel back on and we push it home. We have roadside service but I debating on calling and how long would I wait since we are not too far away. It was raining lightly but 52 degrees so we walked.
Got to grab the right pump tomorrow before we go on a long ride. I hope my commute bikes pump does both then I can swap them.
I use this which works with presta and schrader and you can control the amount of CO2 with the control valve!

Thanks for posting this, makes me realize I need to check all my pumps and I just ordered some adapters to stick in the bike bags to be safe

only one way. the problem is pushing the button in on the shrader valve. the adaptor would need some kind of valve extension built in.
You only need to push the little button if you want to let air out. Air pressure pushes past it to let air in. It's a check valve. Air only goes one way. As long as the inbound pressure is greater than the inside pressure air is going in.

TT

You only need to push the little button if you want to let air out. Air pressure pushes past it to let air in. It's a check valve. Air only goes one way. As long as the inbound pressure is greater than the inside pressure air is going in.

TT
nope or my co2 inflator would have worked. you need to push the button in.

nope or my co2 inflator would have worked. you need to push the button in.
You may have a faulty inflator, I guess, but have you ever used your CO2 inflator successfully before? Just guessing, you may not have screwed the CO2 cartridge in enough to puncture the seal on the cartridge, or you may not have opened the valve on the inflator.

You can unscrew the core from the valve and take it out (so there's no pin, or "button" to depress and still pump air into a tube. It won't stay in, of course The valve lets air in but not out. Pressing the pin in is only necessary to check pressure or to let the air out.

TT

this was the first time on a shrader and yes the the one I use is stomper screw it on the valve screw the cartridge on and push. the inflator and cartridge iced up but nope no inflation on the tube. plus the road pump would screw onto the valve but would not fill the tire. it has a strong spring its not going to get pushed in by air. thats why when you look at this pump the pin pushes on the valve stem when you lock the lever.
I pumped ufo the pictured tube and it has no hole. so I guess the Stans did its job but after the tube was dry I guess. I wonder if I could have reinflated it on the bike? no way to know since I didn't to have a pump but I doubt it.

One more guess: Pull the valve core and replace it with a new one. The spring is actually very weak. It only needs to push the valve back up, which takes almost no effort, then air pressure inside the tube keeps it closed.

I think your problem must be with the valve, which may have been the cause of your flat. Or maybe the inflator was cross-threaded on the valve stem.

But wait, you said your CO2 inflator was for Presta valves. Of course it wouldn't work on a Shrader valve (without an adapter).

I wasn't there, and I'm really not trying to argue. Apparently I've gone off track or I'm missing something....

TT

One more guess: Pull the valve core and replace it with a new one. The spring is actually very weak. It only needs to push the valve back up, which takes almost no effort, then air pressure inside the tube keeps it closed.

I think your problem must be with the valve, which may have been the cause of your flat. Or maybe the inflator was cross-threaded on the valve stem.

But wait, you said your CO2 inflator was for Presta valves. Of course it wouldn't work on a Shrader valve (without an adapter).

I wasn't there, and I'm really not trying to argue. Apparently I've gone off track or I'm missing something....

TT
all my shrader valves take a fair amount of pressure to push down. presta now those are easy and held mostly by air pressure.
no there was the stans sealant in the tire and around the tube where the hole may have been. so there was a hole. though I never found anything in the tire.

I change worn out tires with the same kit I carry on the bike for road emergencies. So I know it works. When I had a display I designed a mount to swing it down when I turned the bike over on the handlebars & seat. But the display was garbage, fogged & inaccurate, so I ditched it. I can turn the bike over from the side with no preparation now. I do unload the pannier bags and take them off. I carry all the flat repair tools with me, also two tubes because I had one new one blow up first thing about 2015. No spare tire. Those roll up in a box tires, I tried them but they won't hold onto the rim; they fall off.
The worst flat experience I had was August 2018. The cargo bike came Jan 2018 and the thin road tire it came with wore out in June. I replaced it with a knobby from the replaced mountain bike that had a lot of tread. Well, 10 miles from summer camp, with 50 lb of groceries loaded up, the used tire split 2" longitudinally in the sidewall. I changed the tube anyway, cutting a big piece out of the holey tube to cover the split. That held air for half a block. I was already past where the tracphone stopped getting a signal. So I started pushing, using the back way that is longer so i wouldn't be next to the 55 mph Hwy 3. I waved a $20 bill at a dozen pickups, but nobody slowed down. After 2 hours & 6 miles I was back on Hwy 3, four miles from summer camp and a spare tire & tube. I got light headed & faint from the heat, and had to prop the bike up against a gate and sit under a tree to cool off. I had been drinking diet orange soda from a 2 liter bottle, which was probably a bad idea since it contains caffein. (I forgot). Heart was racing about 140. I was sitting there when an 80 year old church friend stopped in his SUV, and loaded up my bicycle in the back. Two minutes in front of his air conditioner vent and I was fine. I play piano in the tiny country church out there summers.
No more used tires for me. Newish knobby kendas don't go flat if the knobs are taller than 1/16". Every spring, after 2000 miles, I put on new ones.

Last edited:
Back