smaller tyres

** Correction: The Rhine delta is immense, but only the flat northern parts of Poland would be on it.
I have never heard either Odra/Oder or Vistula/Wisła rivers were in the slightest part connected to Rhine. On contrary, Vistula has her own delta.

What I was taught in the school was a mighty glacier formed the undulating area of Masuria, Warmia, and northern Mazovia. That's why sandy roads are not uncommon here!

1682106462866.png

Whenever I meet a sandy road in Mazovia, it makes me weep...

1682106530265.png

A little bit south in Masovia.

1682106624803.png

A very high and steep sand dune around Warsaw.

@Jeremy McCreary please have look at the map and locate the Curonian Peninsula and Curonian Bay in Lithuania. There is a location by the name of Nida there. South of Nida towards the Russian enclave border, there is one of the most impressive sand dunes I have ever seen!

I agree with TrevorB. What do you hope to gain by going with a narrower tire?
Thankds for all the comments - I used to ride a mountain bike and I know that the tyres hug the road. Recently I have been riding a Giant fast road bike - which flies - But I also suspect that you get more speed out of thinner tyres and more distance on an ebike - happy to be proven wrong. Cheers

But I also suspect that you get more speed out of thinner tyres and more distance on an ebike - happy to be proven wrong.
A bigger tyre is typically running on lower pressure. This makes the wheel roll easier on a little rough surface, indeed reducing the rolling resistance.
I understand your experience with MTB tyres. However, the type of tyres as found on your Haibike is totally different!

Many happy rides!

Late to the conversation.

I recently picked up my first ebike (hardtail mtb style) and had the dealer switch out the standard Schwalbe Smart Sam's 28/29x 2.35 for Marathon Plus's in 28 x 1.75 (47-622) since I was riding on paved surfaces on my daily commute to/from work in the CBD.

In the head unit, the wheel diameter was changed to a 27.5 inch wheel so the unit is reading the same speed as my Garmin Edge. I have a no name rim and have not encountered any problems with the narrower tyre inflated to 50psi over the ~ 100 klm's travelled in the last 2 weeks reaching speeds of 45+klm's hour on my daily commute. The bike dealer is also running the same tyre on the same bike and his daily commute is 100klm's with no problems.

IMO buy the tyres that suits your cycling speed and terrain (and rim width) then pump them to the correct pressure according to the total weight of your bike and yourself.

If you are chasing the best efficiency see below link for a calculator I use which shows a recommended high and low pressures depending on if you ride on smooth or rough surfaces. Pressures in between will roll a little slower.

Again if you are seeking the most range out of your battery, see below link for further reading on the effect of tyre pressures on ebike battery range.

Last edited:
I recently picked up my first ebike (hardtail mtb style) and had the dealer switch out the standard Schwalbe Smart Sam's 28/29x 2.35 for Marathon Plus's in 28 x 1.75 (47-622) since I was riding on paved surfaces on my daily commute to/from work in the CBD.
It is doable, still no practical reason to change the nature of the e-bike from a 29 to 28-incher. Smart Sams are quiet on the pavement, and they roll decently fast. I could easily find 29x2.35 tyres good for the pavement... Necessary to mention, a bike designed for wider tyres looks kinda funny with skinnies installed :)

There is no immediate outcome related to installing narrower tyres on a wider rim. Only the tyre sidewall, the rim, and spokes will not thank you in a longer run.

It is doable, still no practical reason to change the nature of the e-bike from a 29 to 28-incher. Smart Sams are quiet on the pavement, and they roll decently fast. I could easily find 29x2.35 tyres good for the pavement... Necessary to mention, a bike designed for wider tyres looks kinda funny with skinnies installed :)

There is no immediate outcome related to installing narrower tyres on a wider rim. Only the tyre sidewall, the rim, and spokes will not thank you in a longer run.
The benefits of the narrower Marathon Plus's are:

Less sidewall flex
Greater responsiveness
Tried and tested
Looks :cool:

The benefits of the Marathon Plus's over the Smart Sam's

Highest level of protection
Highest level of durability
E50 rated

Do you always believe what you read? :)
I owned both, and more...
The tyre model is your choice. It is fundamentally wrong to change the tyre size, that's it.

The benefits of the narrower Marathon Plus's are:

Less sidewall flex
Greater responsiveness
Tried and tested
the lack of sidewall flex makes them a harsh ride. plus they are pretty slow too. I have put over 16,000 miles on them. they are very durable and very good at keeping the tire inflated. but the ride is not a nice ride on the,. but thats typical of a tire that is puncture resistant tires are.

Back