Schwalbe Energizer Plus vs. Marathon Plus

michal

Region
USA
City
Brooklyn, NY
So my Gazelle Arroyo came stock with 28" x 1.75" Energizer Plus tires, and I've been wondering if Marathon Plus tires would be considered an upgrade or just make for a different riding experience.

I was drawn to the Marathon Plus' better puncture protection, but I saw they have slightly lower ratings when it comes to rolling resistance and road grip. I have experience riding with both brands, but not on the same bike so it's difficult for me to pinpoint the differences. Also, my Arroyo's Energizer Plus tires have performed well thus far (got a nail stuck in one recently and rode away unscathed) so curious if it's even worth considering the switch.

Any thoughts?

So my Gazelle Arroyo came stock with 28" x 1.75" Energizer Plus tires, and I've been wondering if Marathon Plus tires would be considered an upgrade or just make for a different riding experience.

I was drawn to the Marathon Plus' better puncture protection, but I saw they have slightly lower ratings when it comes to rolling resistance and road grip. I have experience riding with both tires, but not on the same bike so it's difficult for me to pinpoint the differences. Also, my Arroyo's Energizer Plus tires have performed well thus far (got a nail stuck in one recently and rode away unscathed) so curious if it's even worth considering the switch.

Any thoughts?

Nor worth it.
Energizer Plus are good tires. you will get a bit more puncture resistance by switching to m+ but they also weigh lot more. You're looking at 1.5 lbs incl both tires.
Switching to a wider tire would make + difference. More comfortable, better grip and surefooted feeling at higher speeds.
At $23, these Big Ben Plus tires are a steal. You may want to try them.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/schwalbe-big-ben-plus-mtb-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod154936

They offer puncture protection that is just a notch below the M+ but last a long time.

Thanks for your continued wisdom, @Ravi Kempaiah!

That's the sense I got from my research, although I didn't realize the Marathon Plus tires weighed more. I live in a 3rd floor walkup so any extra weight on top of the Arroyo's existing 60lbs is a big deal.

As for width, I'd love a wider tire but from the looks of it I'm not sure the bike could handle it — there's already very little clearance in the rear with the frame, fenders, cafe lock, rack, battery, etc.

Back