Sanity Check: Choosing the Surface604 Colt over Aventon Level

penname

Region
USA
Hello all. Thanks for all of the help either directly or indirectly on helping me choose a bike.

I’m going to test ride a Surface604 Colt today and assuming I like the ride, I’m going to pull the trigger. It’s a little bit over what I wanted to spend, but the thought of having a torque sensor is really what is selling me.

I almost bought an Aventon Level, which is quite a bit cheaper and a great bike, but I test rode it and it felt like I was riding a rocket with a mind of its own. To be fair, the bike had the older controller without the lower PAS fixes.

Some reasoning:

1. The closest Aventon dealer is a 2 hour drive away, but in a city I frequently have to drive to. The Surface604 dealer is 10 minutes from my house. Although, when I was in the Surface shop, they were servicing an Aventon Pace, so theoretically I could get the Level serviced locally.

2. Torque vs cadence obviously.

3. To my eyes, the Aventon looks like a more expensive bike (despite being cheaper) with much better welds, but I like the overall looks of the Colt better.

4. The Colt seems to offer more software tweaking. Also, it’s a level 2 by default. Level 3s aren’t allowed on our bike trail system here. Not super worried about that, but I’d rather have one that starts at a level 2 and can be unlocked to a level 3.

5. The Colt is quite a bit more money. This is the biggest sticking point. I’d probably be perfectly happy with the Level, but I feel like if I’m spending this amount of money on something already, don’t cheap out and settle.

Can I get a sanity check? Am I making the right call?

I just did a lot of research on the same 2 bikes.. Also went with the Surface 604.. Actually ordered the Rook which is pretty much the same as the Colt.. It's for my wife so I got the S/M Step-thru.. I don't think you're insane...

Joe

I had considered an Aventon Level as well, but for various reasons, the Ride1Up 700 was a similar bike but superior in most ways, with the exception of not being sold at many LBS's and not available in different sizes, but the PAS is superior. The Surface Colt is too low geared for my taste. I like a larger chainring (44T+) on the front and a small 11T available on the cassette. Also see: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...on-pace-500-level-ride1up-500-700-lmtd.40191/

Last edited:
I had considered an Aventon Level as well, but for various reasons, the Ride1Up 700 was a similar bike but superior in most ways, with the exception of not being sold at many LBS's and not available in different sizes, but the PAS is superior. Also see: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...on-pace-500-level-ride1up-500-700-lmtd.40191/
Yes, I actually like the Ride1Ups better (better controller/software it seems from the reviews) but I was worried about the mail only aspect. Also, I would have probably pulled the trigger on a limited if it still included the torque sensor.

Back