Rip current S review

oavdn17

Region
USA
I know there are other ebikes with bigger motors or bigger batteries but out of the box the RCS is such a beast. I loved it and for $1899 it's a great deal.

I didn't watch the review yet, but that certainly is a fair, even great, price for the RCS. I have 2 RCS bikes and while my investment in the existing battery platform played a large part in me getting a second one, there was nothing else exciting for me at the time. Still no one makes the ebike I want for my usage, and I'm not yet wanting to build it myself. I decided to get a regular bike with a Pinion gearbox and belt drive to test the technologies that way until I can find them in an e-bike, with a suitable motor and controller. Other than the weight, I have few complaints about RCS now that Juiced has introduced their new batteries with more competitive pricing. That was my biggest beef in the past, and they addressed it very well. I often travel with 132oz of water and 3 batteries, as well as tools and other minor gear, so my bike is "heavy". The long wheel base makes it not very agile for single track :), but it goes where it needs too.

Not really a great review, just a surface level spec review. I agree though that for the price this was a deal, if you can handle a very big heavy bike. I didn't know they were coming out with a new model so soon after their spec upgrade of the motor and software, proper fenders again, and of course their new batteries. Very interested in how they evolve this model although I don't know that I need another RCS right now.

Not really a great review, just a surface level spec review. I agree though that for the price this was a deal, if you can handle a very big heavy bike. I didn't know they were coming out with a new model so soon after their spec upgrade of the motor and software, proper fenders again, and of course their new batteries. Very interested in how they evolve this model although I don't know that I need another RCS right now.
I think there may be some confusion on the reviewer's part relative to closeout. According to the JB website the clear aluminum finish bike is being discontinued and on closeout. The black and red are still listed as current.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-27 190932.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-27 190932.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 111
What's it weigh?

This bike is currently further reduced for July 4th (maybe longer) to just $1,699. An absolute bargain. Maybe I do need another one for parts.

It looks like all the Silver/Brushed Aluminum Ripcurrent S bikes are sold, they are no longer listed in the closeout or sales sections. Other Color RipCurrent S are back to regular price, but they may not stay there for long. Some people got a steal of a deal on the closeout.

The 2022 version of the Ripcurrent S fixed many small things, and a better motor/controller and pedal assist implementation, and the new G2 battery. Small incremental changes are the best way to create a quality product.

Some downgrades, might be the change in the tires, front hub, brakes and derailer. I'm not sure what components are on the currently shipping 2023 bikes, as Jucied can swap these depending on the supply channel. I'll have to see after 5K km if any of the component changes are a big down grade. So far it looks like the brakes are the biggest concern.

Maybe the Silver/brushed-aluminum, models had a different component layout and that is why they were on clear out.

I wished they had kept all the components the same, so the bike would have been a clear incremental improvement. Still I think the improvements over all are a winner, but it takes a couple of seasons to know for sure.

You can't go wrong with this bike.
My first ebike bike was a RC and must say I loved it. They made the huge abandon gravel pit where I used to ride a lot into a park so didn't need a fat tire bike anymore.

It looks like all the Silver/Brushed Aluminum Ripcurrent S bikes are sold, they are no longer listed in the closeout or sales sections. Other Color RipCurrent S are back to regular price, but they may not stay there for long. Some people got a steal of a deal on the closeout.

The 2022 version of the Ripcurrent S fixed many small things, and a better motor/controller and pedal assist implementation, and the new G2 battery. Small incremental changes are the best way to create a quality product.

Some downgrades, might be the change in the tires, front hub, brakes and derailer. I'm not sure what components are on the currently shipping 2023 bikes, as Jucied can swap these depending on the supply channel. I'll have to see after 5K km if any of the component changes are a big down grade. So far it looks like the brakes are the biggest concern.

Maybe the Silver/brushed-aluminum, models had a different component layout and that is why they were on clear out.

I wished they had kept all the components the same, so the bike would have been a clear incremental improvement. Still I think the improvements over all are a winner, but it takes a couple of seasons to know for sure.
I changed out the rear derailleur and shifter for a Shimano Alivio. My bike was purchased in January 2023. I don't know if current shipping models are the same component items.

Very nice! I don't need that level, i would be happy with the Altus level components. I got my 2022 version around Black Friday.
i see they have the red and black on for $1599 now! 'Prime Days' sale.

Very nice! I don't need that level, i would be happy with the Altus level components. I got my 2022 version around Black Friday.
i see they have the red and black on for $1599 now! 'Prime Days' sale.
I had initially bought the Altus but the orientation of the barrel adjuster was different compared to the Twoo. Would have required that I replace the entire length of cable housing. The Alivio had the same orientation.

I had initially bought the Altus but the orientation of the barrel adjuster was different compared to the Twoo. Would have required that I replace the entire length of cable housing. The Alivio had the same orientation.
Thanks, that is good to know in case I decide I need to change it.

Back