Riese & Muller vs Gazelle

DavisAK

After much research I've narrowed my preferred choices down to R&M's Nevo3 GT Vario (wife) and Charger 3 GT Vario (husband) or Gazelle's Ultimate T10+ (husband) and C380 Vario Hub (wife).

Planned use is recreational riding on mostly paved roads but definitely some gravel roads as well.

I know there are obvious differences between the T10+ and bikes listed here but does the R&M cost really justify the purchase over these Gazelle bikes?

Welcome your thoughts, thanks.

I recently purchased the Nevo3 GT Vario, although the Gazelle C380 Vario doesn't look too bad at all. But I think it'd be hard for me to give up the beefier CX motor in the Nevo3 already. I live in a hilly neighborhood and that motor has been a real help there.

Are you able to test ride these bikes anywhere near you? I'd honestly really recommend it if this is your first e-bike. What I went with and what I thought I wanted turned out to be pretty different.

Looking at the two though, I'd consider the R&M a bit more premium in that you get more options to go with the more powerful motor. Being able to get something like the Kiox or Nyon from the factory instead of relying on a retrofit kit. Having the ability to go with a larger battery or dual batteries. The option of a high speed variant doesn't appear to be available on the Gazelle bikes. Can't speak towards frame design though, but the Nevo3 was plenty rigid for a step-through for me. I think the value of the R&M is in those extra options and customizability to suit your needs. I think it really depends on what you feel your needs are. If you weren't considering using those options or feel like the CX motor would be a waste, then the Gazelle actually seems pretty good.

Similar choices for me back in the late summer, Gazelle vs Charger 3 Vario. I ordered the R&M Charger 3, expect it in 2 weeks.
Higher level motor, bigger battery, etc-do a line to line comparison and make your choice.

Thanks Kaiede,
You're spot on w/ customization point, that's why I'm leaning towards R&M. And perhaps when factoring in those R&M features the price disparity lessens.

I have a Gazelle ultimate T10 and am trading it in for an R&M Homage. My main reason is that I’m doing more trail/ path riding and want the full suspension

I have enjoyed the Gazelle although it’s been plagued by a squealing front brake that has not improved despite some home remedies and a service visit

I have the T10+ in the Medeo, do a lot of grass hills and trails on my farm and just love it. Most times I don’t even need to go into turbo mode, just stay in tour and occasionally sport and plan my shifting. Rode another brand of bike that was $1k more and had the Brose engine, but l actually liked the Gazelle smoothness better. Must admit it would be nice to have the full suspension for my off-road work, but added a suspension seat post to this bike and find it to be a nice compromise even when I hit bumps in the field or a pothole on my dirt road. Good luck on your choice, the R&M is certainly known for their quality.

On final thought, the battery life on my bike in real world use is about 50 miles when I was doing road work and stayed mostly in eco/tour mode some hills and speeds in the 15-20mph range. On my farm in sport/tour mode grass, hills, and dirt trails drops to about 15miles. Not an issue for me since I only have the energy to do that for about 10 miles ;)

I considered the Charger 2-3, and went for the Moustache Dimanche 29.5. Cost savings was substantial and weight was also much less. The reason I mention it is Gazelle is the "lower cost" alternative, and the Moustache are in between the two. I got 1500 miles and think I make the right choice.

It is an unfair comparison in many respects, as a comparison does not apply a straight line model where, if you pay twice as much, the bike will be twice as good. To eek the last bit of performance and quality out of a bike requires exponentially more expensive components, which R&M have (mostly) done. There is no doubt in my mind the R&M will be better than the Gazelle, but only you can make the call on if it is value for money for you.

From my experience, owning a Homage and a Delite, they have been one of the best investments I have every made in my 50 odd year old life. We got them a year ago, with both my wife and I having not really ridden bikes for 30 years. We are both healthier, fitter and happier than we have ever been, and I put this down to our bikes.

Perhaps the question should be how much are you prepared to invest in life. I chose to pay a lot and have no regrets.

That will be an excellent bike to start and possibly the end all. Lots of extras will make it a good turnkey solution. Also it will resale easily if you want to change.

I've been thinking about this a little more, and I test rode both the Gazelle Ultimate T10+ vs the R&M Roadster. I think the Gazelle->car R&M->SUV analogy is mostly true, except for the Roadster, which I was very impressed with. The Roadster is much lighter than the Ultimate T10+ and much superior in handling. With Gazelle, they make their own shocks and brakes in house, where R&M has name brand shocks and brakes which felt 2X, 3X better. Using name brands instead of making things in house makes their product (R&M) much more expensive and also superior. Again, this is only based on my test ride :).

I want a bike with a Gen4 speed motor which is lightweight since I have to carry it up stairs everyday. It has been particularly hard to find light weight and more powerful bikes. Also, I wish Gazelle did a Gen4 motor with a carbon belt drive, but it seems only R&M can do that.

Back