Radrunner or Juiced Scorpion

Northcoast Kid

Not that I need one of these, but staying at home has meant more time to peruse electric bikes, and I've become fixated on the moped/bike thing. From looking at the brands forum it looks like these two manufacturers have the largest fan base, or perhaps critics, so there must be something good behind that. Both these models have a Bafang 750 W motor, but Juiced says it is a type 3 with a top speed of 28mph, while RadRunner says 20mph. Not sure the difference there.

I like the Radrunner for the adjustable seat, the options - passenger seating, center console, the price $1199 currently for base model ($1399 for those additions), a good battery brand, and what appears to be good customer service.

But then I saw the Scorpion and like the front and rear shocks, the aesthetic of the rims, the headlight, but perhaps not the seat height, and the price is higher - $1699.

I live in a small town, fairly flat, but with one steep hill (about 9% over .2 miles) to our house. If I used it to commute it would be 14 miles RT, flat on country roads.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

If your town has any potholes and you are going to ride 20" wheels, a suspension would be a plus. I don't have a suspension and I ride 26" wheels. Fat tire help some, but are reputed to be difficult to change a tube out on the road. I can change a tube in 40 minutes anywhere. Tires with big knobs on them get less flats, they can run over the road trash.
Brand of battery doesn't matter with a factory warrenty. Most of the samsung batterys on amazon/ebay/ali are big lies anyway, or if they are they are flashlight cells, not bike cells. Quality generic batteries in the US come from lunacycle, california-ebike, and ebikeling. I got one pile of junk from amazon btrbattery and another pile of junk from ebay sun-ebike . My 17.5 AH battery from luna will haul me 30 miles over 77 hills with 60 lb groceries.
Front & rear shocks will wear out in 5 years, better buy the replacements now or a new bike in 5 years.
Either geared hub motor should handle 9% grade well. Mine handles 15% with 60 lb groceries + 170 lb me.
Either bike is sold by internet, which means you had better be your own skilled mechanic. Many bike shops will not work on e-bikes. If you buy one from a dealer, he is responsible for the warrenty, if he doesn't go out of business. I'd say look around for dealers near you first. Our only dealer is Pedego, which cost about double what a rad or juiced will. And he is in a different state. There are tons of dealers in the SF area. If you put your zip code in court's finder on the base page, the site will show you dealers that paid to be listed.

Last edited:
It seems that moped-style e-bikes are getting very popular - especially for folks who prefer throttles over pedaling. I believe that the pedals on these bikes are there only to allow classification as "electric bicycles", but they don't seem that they would be at all effective.

With that said, however, I have also drunk the KoolAid - I've had a Juiced HyperScorpion on order for my wife for the last couple of months. Go big or go home! Delivery currently scheduled for July (originally was May).

And if you haven't, do look at the Super73 bikes. They recently announced their 'R' series bikes with dual suspension, but at the same time they also announced the updated 'S' bikes, with front suspension only. I actually think that a front suspension with the large volume tires would be fairly comfy on the road (as long as you don't run with the tires inflated to the maximum). Love the colors and styling of the Super73-S2's, especially the blue with the tan leather seat.

https://super73.com/collections/s-series/products/super73-s2

I guess that the RadRunner might be the most bike-like of these. With the adjustable seat and if your legs aren't too long, you may actually be able to pedal the thing somewhat effectively. All of the others are more like electric scooters. But they do have a great nostalgic look.

It seems that moped-style e-bikes are getting very popular - especially for folks who prefer throttles over pedaling. I believe that the pedals on these bikes are there only to allow classification as "electric bicycles", but they don't seem that they would be at all effective.

With that said, however, I have also drunk the KoolAid - I've had a Juiced HyperScorpion on order for my wife for the last couple of months. Go big or go home! Delivery currently scheduled for July (originally was May).

And if you haven't, do look at the Super73 bikes. They recently announced their 'R' series bikes with dual suspension, but at the same time they also announced the updated 'S' bikes, with front suspension only. I actually think that a front suspension with the large volume tires would be fairly comfy on the road (as long as you don't run with the tires inflated to the maximum). Love the colors and styling of the Super73-S2's, especially the blue with the tan leather seat.

https://super73.com/collections/s-series/products/super73-s2

I guess that the RadRunner might be the most bike-like of these. With the adjustable seat and if your legs aren't too long, you may actually be able to pedal the thing somewhat effectively. All of the others are more like electric scooters. But they do have a great nostalgic look.
That super73 is a cool looking ride. But getting a little pricey for me. Thanks for the replies.

If your town has any potholes and you are going to ride 20" wheels, a suspension would be a plus. I don't have a suspension and I ride 26" wheels. Fat tire help some, but are reputed to be difficult to change a tube out on the road. I can change a tube in 40 minutes anywhere. Tires with big knobs on them get less flats, they can run over the road trash.
Brand of battery doesn't matter with a factory warrenty. Most of the samsung batterys on amazon/ebay/ali are big lies anyway, or if they are they are flashlight cells, not bike cells. Quality generic batteries in the US come from lunacycle, california-ebike, and ebikeling. I got one pile of junk from amazon btrbattery and another pile of junk from ebay sun-ebike . My 17.5 AH battery from luna will haul me 30 miles over 77 hills with 60 lb groceries.
Front & rear shocks will wear out in 5 years, better buy the replacements now or a new bike in 5 years.
Either geared hub motor should handle 9% grade well. Mine handles 15% with 60 lb groceries + 170 lb me.
Either bike is sold by internet, which means you had better be your own skilled mechanic. Many bike shops will not work on e-bikes. If you buy one from a dealer, he is responsible for the warrenty, if he doesn't go out of business. I'd say look around for dealers near you first. Our only dealer is Pedego, which cost about double what a rad or juiced will. And he is in a different state. There are tons of dealers in the SF area. If you put your zip code in court's finder on the base page, the site will show you dealers that paid to be listed.
Thanks for the info. I was a little worried about the hill, but I guess I shouldn't be. Too bad you can't test ride some of these bikes that you can only order direct from the manufacturer. Might be nice if they had a listing of willing buyers who own one nearby in your area that would be willing to let you test one out.

Back