Rad Runner experiences

flp

I ordered the rad runner, just wondering for those who have the bike. Do you like it? It's a lot of money and I guess I am having a mild case of second guessing. I am not buying the bike for commuting, just for enjoyment and riding around. Also wondering if the bike is powerful enough, i have heard that it struggles on hills (?)

I got a email from Rad and these Rad Runners are ready to ship, hope you enjoy the Runner, by watching the YouTube videos this little e bike should do well. The Rad Runner has a different Bafang motor then the Rad Mini has, we opted for the Rad Mini Step Thru over the Rad Runner, for the $200 difference in the two bikes you get so much more in the Mini the $200 dollars is a no brainier.

trainman

Any feedback on the rad runner used in hilly neighbourhood? Is it enough powerful? Thanks!

I got a email from Rad and these Rad Runners are ready to ship, hope you enjoy the Runner, by watching the YouTube videos this little e bike should do well. The Rad Runner has a different Bafang motor then the Rad Mini has, we opted for the Rad Mini Step Thru over the Rad Runner, for the $200 difference in the two bikes you get so much more in the Mini the $200 dollars is a no brainier.

trainman
The runner has the same motor as the mini and the rover all are 750 W

I have had a RadRunner since it was shipped in September. I commute 14 miles roundtrip, with a long 1-mile 12-15% grade hill and while I have to pedal to maintain any speed it has never had trouble getting all the way up. Overall, it's been an excellent bike for commuting, and it's function as a mini-cargo bike (with front-rack installed) allows it to effectively replace my car for 90% of the trips I take. I'm 6'3" and so the adjustable seat height is clutch, and allows it to function as a bicycle with much more comfortable pedaling (unlike a lot of other similar appearing bikes like the Ariel D and Juiced Scrambler). I have no problems with it as a single-speed bike, and in general find that it's very comfortable pedaling even in level 3 pedal assist (level 4 is just a bit too fast to reasonably generate a ton of power while pedaling). I got a Yepp Maxi seat with it and take my daughter to daycare with it. I am disappointed with the quality of the front head-light and am actively looking for an alternative. In addition, I've had an issue with the controller, but RadPower's service has been excellent and despite it being frustrating they seem to stand behind their products.

We at first were going to go with the Rad Runner's, but after comparing it to the Rad Mimi Step Thru's we decided on the Mimi's. We received our Mimi's around three weeks ago and are very happy with our purchase. One of the biggest reasons was the folding option of the Mimi's, the LCD readout, 7-speed shifting, and the front forks are spring loaded for rider comfort. We added the rear rack thus making the Mimi's around $280 more, but feel the price difference is well worth it. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either, just Ride Rad.

I just got my RadRunner two days ago. Installed the full fenders, passenger pack, and center console last night. Took it for a brief ride this evening and was smiling all the way! Mind you, this is my very first e-bike so I have no point of reference. Got compliments bringing it first time down in the elevator. One guy said "Wow, that looks like a nice ride! Is it electric?" First impressions matters! The bike with the extras above transforms it into something else, like a futuristic moped etc. The center console definitely gives the extra motorcycle look.

As for the first ride: Went with 28 psi (2 psi down from the recommended 30). Still, was harsh for Montreal mafia quality controlled roads. Going to tune it down to 25 psi to see if it improves. Otherwise a bliss! Pedal or no pedal, throttle is always there in-hand! I`m not sure I`m going to exercise too much. It`s so much fun to just cruise along without hitting the pedals. You feel free! You definitely don`t feel like you are ridding a bicycle. I really think this is a new future for many...

I hit 33 kph on full throttle (CycleDroid App) and it felt more than enough. I`m probably going to cruise between 20 and 25 kph with eventual bursts to catch up with traffic when needed.

Minor hiccups: Both front and back wheel disks were hitting the break pads factory adjusted. Tried adjusting myself but now breaking power degraded. Going to take it to a professional bike shop to have it corrected, aligned, and torque checked throughout. Otherwise, totally in love with my RadRunner!!! 9/10

PS. Tomorrow I`ll test-drive it with my six year old as a passenger. Then my wife. Then the 3 of us. Amazingly, it looks like there might be enough room!

I just got my RadRunner two days ago. Installed the full fenders, passenger pack, and center console last night. Took it for a brief ride this evening and was smiling all the way! Mind you, this is my very first e-bike so I have no point of reference. Got compliments bringing it first time down in the elevator. One guy said "Wow, that looks like a nice ride! Is it electric?" First impressions matters! The bike with the extras above transforms it into something else, like a futuristic moped etc. The center console definitely gives the extra motorcycle look.

As for the first ride: Went with 28 psi (2 psi down from the recommended 30). Still, was harsh for Montreal mafia quality controlled roads. Going to tune it down to 25 psi to see if it improves. Otherwise a bliss! Pedal or no pedal, throttle is always there in-hand! I`m not sure I`m going to exercise too much. It`s so much fun to just cruise along without hitting the pedals. You feel free! You definitely don`t feel like you are ridding a bicycle. I really think this is a new future for many...

I hit 33 kph on full throttle (CycleDroid App) and it felt more than enough. I`m probably going to cruise between 20 and 25 kph with eventual bursts to catch up with traffic when needed.

Minor hiccups: Both front and back wheel disks were hitting the break pads factory adjusted. Tried adjusting myself but now breaking power degraded. Going to take it to a professional bike shop to have it corrected, aligned, and torque checked throughout. Otherwise, totally in love with my RadRunner!!! 9/10

PS. Tomorrow I`ll test-drive it with my six year old as a passenger. Then my wife. Then the 3 of us. Amazingly, it looks like there might be enough room!
Looks like you made the correct choice with the Rad Runner for you, like I posted in an earlier post we looked at both the Rad Runner and the Rad Mini and went with the Mini's. So far the Rad Mini's are everything we hoped they would be and don't regret our choice, looks like you won't either. We didn't get the luxury of riding either bike before purchasing them, so we only had YouTube videos and this forum to make our decisions, we weren't disappointed by what we purchased after all the info we were able to collect on these bikes. I will get the chance to ride the Rad Runner on Nov. 18th, as Rad is bring their bikes to Ft. Worth, Texas in what they call there Southwest Desert and Plains Tour, should be interesting to see there whole lineup.

Hey there,

Thank you, very happy indeed. I`ve been flirting with the idea of an e-bike since my daughter outgrew the child seat. She just turned 6, and although she has her own kids bike, she is just too young to keep up with both mom and dad on bike trips. We like riding along the water canals of Montreal on nice days, but we were limited in distance due to her getting soon tired.

When I first saw the RadRunner with the optional passenger package accessory, I was sure I had found the perfect solution! I`ve been riding with my daughter on the Rad, while my wife uses her regular bike. She will probably get a mini herself next spring.

In addition, I can now pick up my daughter from school, and run the odd errands to supermarkets etc. with the bike. I was using a car sharing plan for that before. So besides getting some exercise, I`m saving some money too.

Totally in love with the added independence and practicability provided by my Rad!

Rad is coming to Ft. Worth, Texas next week with there Desert and Plains Tour, Nov. 18th Monday from 3:00 to 6:00pm. Since we have our Rad Mini Step Thru's we won't be purchasing another Rad at this time, but I do want to ride the Rad Runner just to see how it preforms to the Rad Mini's. I don't expect any power differences, if any, but would like to see how the Runner sets and feels riding it between the two Rad's. There bringing 5 of the models to ride and checkout, we personally like the size of the 20" Fat Tire models, so probably won't ride the other models. If the weather works out and we ride I will give a comparison of the two Fat Tire Models.

Owing two Rad Mini's I decided to go to the Desert and Plains Tour in Ft. Worth, Texas on Monday Nov. 18th to ride the Rad Runner and check it out. After riding the Runner and comparing it to the Mini's that we own (2 months old) I found riding the Runner was pretty much the same riding it on paved roads, I did not take it off road. The Runner not having front shocks was not really noticed, but there was a feeling of a rougher ride, but just slightly. Power I could not really notice any difference, but not having the 7-speed shifting for pedaling comfort could be a problem if you were going to pedal more rather then use the throttle to get around. It does not have the LCD display which I did miss and the folding aspect of the Runner is not there either. The Mini's do give you the much brighter headlight as the Runner headlight is just so so, all being said at $200 difference between the to models, I would pick the Mini over the Runner, just too many options standard with the Mini. If you are a price buyer go with the Runner, you won't be disappointed with it, I wasn't.

Back