RAD Power Bikes (RPB) - The Company

totalnovice

Thought I'd start a thread on what us owners think about RPB as an ebike company.

I'll start ... To me, at this point in their evolution, RPB is essentially the "Harbor Freight" of the ebike world (and I mean that in a good way). Yes they have low cost ebikes (maybe the lowest) ... but there's a reason they can do that folks. They buy in bulk from Chinese manufacturers who are offering the 'best' price for their selected components. And thus they are subject to the 'quality' of those suppliers.

So having said that, I also believe the people behind RPB are true ebike believers and are really committed to growing the ebike industry, and I wish them great success. But at the same time, they are trying to run a profitable business, provide for their families, and take care of their employees. And that leads to business decisions & compromises. As they evolve, I expect they will also have to raise their prices. Theres a reason many OEM ebikes are quite expensive, and thats because thats what it takes for those companies to offer a good product, get repeat customers, and remain viable.

Yes, I'm a newbie in the ebike world, the RR being my first ebike. And no, I don't have any experience with more established or higher priced OEMs. RPB (and Court) got me into this world, and I think I'm going to stick around. I believe in the utility of an ebike and I've learned alot, which is both fun & rewarding.

Would I buy another ebike from RPB? ... Not at this point.
Would I recommend RPB to a friend? ... Yes, but I would make it clear what they are getting, and encourage them to shop other makes & models.

I have had a number of ebikes. Even buying an OEM bike doesn't guarantee a level of reliability or service - if the dealer is merely a supplier, or doesn't undertake repairs on the bike, you can have the same issues.

(Edit) - the above is not meant to reflect anything bad on RadRover - the bike has been great, has been one of the most reliable of all my bikes to date.

The sooner you can learn to do basic repairs / replacements, or find someone to do these, the better. I haven't unfortunately got to this stage yet - meaning a lot of wasted money.

Last edited:
Obviously I am a fan, but, as noted above, there are two things you need to know going in.

1) Be prepared to either pay a bike shop up to $100 for a proper tune up, or be comfortable changing tires, calibrating disc brakes, and tuning derailleurs. Or comfortable in learning how to do so.

2) Be prepared for a possible dud electronic component: with the mini, it seems to be the controller, but one could theoretically receive a bad motor, battery, or computer. Be prepared to suck it up and deal with troubleshooting and replacement. I'm willing to bet most issues will surface in the first couple of hundred miles (knock on wood) Before I called Rad I was pretty sure it was the controller - I noticed excessive motor "cogging" when pushed backward and with that information it was quickly resolved. Rad also did a recall on the headset spacer for my batch and they sent out the replacement pronto and created a video how-to.

The benefit is a very good price - the motor, battery, and electronics alone are worth $1000. The frame is solid and it packs decent and upgradable bike components. And most importantly it's all warranteed for a year and there's a company that will respond.

I think Rad's website and online store could use some updating and more information or user community.

Last edited:
Back