Rad mini assembly question concerning front wheel

TerryV6

I have my bike assembled and didn’t have much difficulty. This is my first ebike btw. I put the front wheel on and cannot get it to spin freely. Now, when that happened with all my previous bikes with quick release, when that happened, it meant I had tightened it down too much. That’s not the case here, which leads me to think it’s the brake pads. Should I take an Allen wrench and do that adjustment mentioned in the video to get the wheel on? The video says to tighten it back up after wheel is on. Hmmm. I just need a little help... Then I put my wife’s bike together.

thanks

Most likely your mechanical disc brake pads are touching the rotor (not correctly aligned, or pads too much inwards, or both).
You can visually check this first, to confirm that is your problem.
If you don't know where exactly to look, or if you're not familiar with how mechanical disc brakes work in general, and things to look for when setting up, check also this video:
This is going to give you good general info about your brakes.

But anyways, after installing any new bike, yes, you should:

1) Align the brake calipers (see the Rad Rover bikes instruction video)

2) Brake in the pads: to prolong the longevity of the pads and avoid squeeking sounds when braking due to uneven contact between disc pads and rotor. Make sure you do this in dry weather, not in heavy rain.
You start riding and speed up until 25 km/h (15 miles/hour). Then you smoothly/gradually (not abrupt) but firmly brake until you reach walking speed (not to a stand still). Repeat this 10-20 times.
What happens is: The new disc pad has a specific top layer, which needs to be evenly brought onto the disc rotor. This creates an optimal surface contact between the disc pad and surface from the disc rotor.

This procedure should be done every time you change disc pads. Make sure to fully clean and degrease your disc rotors with isopropyl alcohol beforehand.

I had the same problem, then upon inspection I found the front brake cable pulled out of its resting spot on the spindle, thus making the cable longer and pulling the brake pads closer to the brake rotor. I do think when removing the bike for the shipping box the cable caught on some packing, this dislodging the cable from its correct position. Check your cable routing.

Thanks guys, I backed off the brakes slightly, using the Allen wrench. Wheel spins freely.

Hey--I just assembled my first Ebike---Rad Mini 4 & the front tire will not spin freely either. How did you "back off the brakes slightly"?

Seems to be trend with the mini's as I had the same problem with my front wheel. Backing off on the brakes easily fixed it. In my case it was obvious as there was no play in the brake lever.

Seems to be trend with the mini's as I had the same problem with my front wheel. Backing off on the brakes easily fixed it. In my case it was obvious as there was no play in the brake lever.
How do you back off the breaks?

Back