Pedego launches its lowest-priced electric bicycle

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley

The Pedego Element is listed at just $1,495, which is pricing territory currently dominated by rival Rad Power Bikes.
But Pedego is hoping that its network of over 120 retail locations in the US will give it a leg up in this new market.
That advantage could be important, especially since the specs don’t necessarily place the Pedego Element above and beyond other offerings in the field.

As a Class 2 e-bike, the Pedego Element includes both a hand throttle and pedal assist, with both offering a top speed of 20 mph (32 km/h). The 500W rear hub motor is powered by a 500 Wh lithium battery. The battery is removable and mounted on the downtube. The Pedego Element features large 4-inch-wide fat tires on 20-inch rims, giving the bike a compact stance yet still allowing it to operate on less forgiving terrain such as sand and snow.

1601505899994.png

Last edited:
To survive Pedego needed to come out with an inexpensive model. Personally, I think Pedego products are generally overpriced.

To survive Pedego needed to come out with an inexpensive model. Personally, I think Pedego products are generally overpriced.
In general I think your right, Pedego's are not the cheapest and do not provide the most bang for the buck. However Pedego buyers are not looking for a bargain. They value a quality product that will last. They also value the extensive dealer network that Pedego offers
Pedego owners want bikes that work and no hassles. They are not looking to DIY anything. They want a turn key experience, where all the buyer ever has to do is write the check! Turning a wrench is the last thing a Pedego owner wants to do.
For the most part Pedego owners are not looking to save a buck. They want a decent product and great service after the sale. If something breaks they want it fixed in a timely manner without a lot of grief.
Pedego riders may ride regularly but they are fairly casual riders that are not real hard on their bikes. For that reason their bikes don't have to be the latest greatest or the most powerful.
Pedego understands their customer and have a loyal following of older riders who can afford to pay a little more for good service.
In the end reliability and good service maybe more important than performance with Pedego owners.

In general I think your right, Pedego's are not the cheapest and do not provide the most bang for the buck. However Pedego buyers are not looking for a bargain. They value a quality product that will last. They also value the extensive dealer network that Pedego offers
Pedego owners want bikes that work and no hassles. They are not looking to DIY anything. They want a turn key experience, where all the buyer ever has to do is write the check! Turning a wrench is the last thing a Pedego owner wants to do.
For the most part Pedego owners are not looking to save a buck. They want a decent product and great service after the sale. If something breaks they want it fixed in a timely manner without a lot of grief.
Pedego riders may ride regularly but they are fairly casual riders that are not real hard on their bikes. For that reason their bikes don't have to be the latest greatest or the most powerful.
Pedego understands their customer and have a loyal following of older riders who can afford to pay a little more for good service.
In the end reliability and good service maybe more important than performance with Pedego owners.

I owned a 2016 Pedego Ridgerider and my wife still rides a 2016 Pedego Commuter. Our bikes were/are anything but reliable.

My Ridgerider (thankfully sold) had a torque sensor and motor failure within a 1000km and at 2500km the torque sensor was acting up again. My wife's Commuter, at 2300km, had her display fail twice and recently had the controller replaced.

I think its more because they are cheap.
Of course price is part of it, but most of their customers seem happy with them, and often are buying more than one and spending extra on accessories. It's enough bike for many, and I expect with their new step through model, they are going to do very well. not every bike is made to suit everyone.

Last edited:
Who buys little bikes like this? What are they thinking? Those are girls bikes for crying out loud.

Ouch, Reed.
I hope you were trying to be funny. It’s hard to tell without the non-verbals that are associated with face to face conversations.

I was interested to see that they also have a budget-priced City Commuter model--one color, fewer amp hours on the battery, lower wattage hub drive.

And this new ebike might be, shall I say it, a gateway drug? Cheaper, easier to become a Pedego customer, and, once happy, a repeat customer? I think adding budget ebikes to the lineup is a very good move by Pedego.

I owned a 2016 Pedego Ridgerider and my wife still rides a 2016 Pedego Commuter. Our bikes were/are anything but reliable.

My Ridgerider (thankfully sold) had a torque sensor and motor failure within a 1000km and at 2500km the torque sensor was acting up again. My wife's Commuter, at 2300km, had her display fail twice and recently had the controller replaced.
We have four Pedegos. Mine is on its third display, all provided no-questions-asked by Pedego. It's easy to swap out. The other three all have their original displays. Mine had unintended accelleration (just fixed by the recall, which resulted in cheerful and prompt fixes of all four bikes for that issue). My H's city commuter had the hub drive fail early--replaced under warranty, and we were not charged for labor. They made it right.

Our bikes have high mileage. One battery now needs a new "power bridge"--that's after 4,000 or 6,000 miles on it, or something like that, and the battery is still going strong in terms of charging and taking us where we want to go.

Does anyone know the availability of these Element bikes?

With the Covid backlog for most bike companies... does Pedego have these in-stock in their stores to try out?

Back