Old guy, new member

mkw1019

Region
USA
New member - have been cycling for 32 years; didn't start 'til I was 40. In the "bike garage" is a 2021 Orbea Gain, Ultegra gearing. Bike is around 26 lbs.,unlike my previously owned bikes which of course were built strictly for lightness. First e-bike was a Pinarello Dyodo, stolen off the porch after a ride. Loved that bike, but both it and Orbea have same Mahle motor/display setup, which I like alot. Lymphoma has slowed my ride frequencies the past two years, so starting with the Pinarello 3 years ago, I totally regard it as a gift/divine providence to still be able to ride. At the time, I did much research on choices. I am still overjoyed with my choice, and still try to only ride in the first (of three) pedal assist choices the Mahle system affords. The governor at 20 mph is a bit limiting, but if you're going that fast consistently then you probably need to switch if off and ride au natural. HA. I looked at other models, but was swayed away from the Bosch-powered brands due to supposed lack of proper changes in power bands, even though some brands advertise top end of 28 mph. For me, every ride is smooth, magical with the rather intuitive gearing in every shift change. Well done Mahle! I did play around with a single front chainring rather than a double, but 52 X 36 was my choice do to the familiarity and low-end 36T, a bailout as it were. Honestly, with the choice of 3 pedal assist speeds, I have never used the 36T. I guess my question here on this forum is whether any of you have regretted your choice of chainring, especially if you went with a single?

I have never used the 36T. I guess my question here on this forum is whether any of you have regretted your choice of chainring, especially if you went with a single?
Well, no. I bought a pedal bike with a triple chainring, advertised as suitable for Mothers with children in San Francisco. Then added a motor & battery later since no e-bike comes with a triple. I have 32:42:52 . I never use the 52, I don't like going that fast. I use 32 carrying up to 80 lb groceries or ag supplies up 12-15% hills. Especially when the battery is low, like out where the steep hills are. 22 miles from home up. I'm 160 lb.
As the rear derailleur won't shift anymore, despite new sram derailleur, new sram takeup, new cable, new jaguar cable housing, I use the front derailleur a dozen times each 27 mile leg.

Well, no. I bought a pedal bike with a triple chainring, advertised as suitable for Mothers with children in San Francisco. Then added a motor & battery later since no e-bike comes with a triple. I have 32:42:52 . I never use the 52, I don't like going that fast. I use 32 carrying up to 80 lb groceries or ag supplies up 12-15% hills. Especially when the battery is low, like out where the steep hills are. 22 miles from home up. I'm 160 lb.
As the rear derailleur won't shift anymore, despite new sram derailleur, new sram takeup, new cable, new jaguar cable housing, I use the front derailleur a dozen times each 27 mile leg.

Interesting! I had transitioned To SRAM Force before we bought our Orbeas 2 years ago, liked it alot. I am sure you have researched, but is there something in using a triple up front that compromises the rear? In any event, you got some great cycling strength to peddle 80 lbs. up a 10-15% grade!
Let me know how that goes, as your hills definitely require more gearing than my "average dog" hills here in Texas. Good luck to you!

Back