New Turbo Vado 5.0 Questions

Shekky

Hi All! Longtime cyclist but just took delivery a couple of weeks ago of a new 2020 Turbo Vado 5.0 and I have a couple of questions.

First, front racks. I had been commuting on a touring bike and really got used to my front and rear Ortleib panniers. The racks that work with suspension don't look like they work with through axles but I've found the Thule Tour Rack that attaches with a strap system. Problem with that is it doesn't look like it can clear the fender and light on the Vado. Has anyone used one of these racks and will it clear the fender and light? Any other front rack suggestions that would take my panniers?

Second, I'm enjoying the bike but there have been some "glitchy" things with the electronics. When I first took delivery of the bike, the light on and off switch functioned. Then it stopped and the lights are on anytime the bike is on. Specialized support says this is normal but why would it change by itself? Then the charging status on the display when the bike is off worked at first and then stopped displaying. Bike charges and functions normally but this is annoying. The only thing I've done is connect the bike to the Mission Control app but Specialized support says this couldn't have caused these issues. Is this sort of thing normal?

Thanks
Eric

Second, I'm enjoying the bike but there have been some "glitchy" things with the electronics. When I first took delivery of the bike, the light on and off switch functioned. Then it stopped and the lights are on anytime the bike is on. Specialized support says this is normal but why would it change by itself?
Is your Vado the 28 mph thing? If it is so, the lights should be on all the time. (It is Class 3/L1e-B vehicle, an S-Pedelec). According to the User Manual, the light switch is for daytime/headlight switching. My European Vado 5.0 has the lights always on and no lights switch at all.

EDIT:
Your racks/pannier question:
I found out the rear rack of the Turbo Vado 5.0 is a Racktime. So I bought a large 13.3 liter Racktime Tour box. It connects to the rack via Snap-it connector, is lockable and aerodynamically sound. As if you had a motorcycle ;-)

Last edited:
Is your Vado the 28 mph thing? If it is so, the lights should be on all the time. (It is Class 3/L1e-B vehicle, an S-Pedelec). According to the User Manual, the light switch is for daytime/headlight switching. My European Vado 5.0 has the lights always on and no lights switch at all.

EDIT:
Your racks/pannier question:
I found out the rear rack of the Turbo Vado 5.0 is a Racktime. So I bought a large 13.3 liter Racktime Tour box. It connects to the rack via Snap-it connector, is lockable and aerodynamically sound. As if you had a motorcycle ;-)

Thanks Stefan. It is a 28mph bike so I understand about the lights and they are on whenever the bike is on. But it just reminds me of when a computer does and update and all these little things change without notice. Weird and Specialized support hasn't been very helpful. I'll check out Racktime.

I have a Europen 25km/h version of the Vado 5.0.
Lights always go on when I turn battery on but then I can turn the lights off if I like. Don’t know if the US class 3 requires constant lighting. Could be something wrong with the button on the handlebar control.

About the display not turning during charging.
I think that happened to me once. Normally on my bike the display first flash the ”center row” once and then it takes about 8 seconds before it turns on and show charging status.
If I remeber correctly the display didn’t come on at this occasion ( but LEDs on battery did) and I pulled out the plug from the battery and put it back in and things were normal again. It’s not impossible that I just was impatient :)

Perhaps you can check with you bike shop if you’ve got the latest firmware. You can see your firmwares in the app.
My display firmware is 12.4.0. (hardware A.2.0)
I don’t think Specialized publishes firmware versions.

Lights always go on when I turn battery on but then I can turn the lights off if I like.
That is also clearly explained in the User Manual, @PaD :) e-bikes have the lights switchable, S-Pedelecs don't.

The manual? That’s cheating!
Yes you are right @PaD . The manuals are cheating. I was promised so many great things about the BLOKS display and all of it was a plain lie! :) Good the display at least tells you your cadence before it freezes...

Well, Specialized Turbo bikes are designed in Switzerland ;)
True, but they generally do make minor changes depending on the market. For example, the Class 1 standard here is a 20mph limit whereas the same bike sold in Europe has a 25kph limit, which is slower. I think it was confirmed in another thread somewhere here that the Class 3 Vado 4.0 does have an on/off switch for the light. I'll know more in a few months when I get mine. :)

Hi @Shekky!
Here's the Racktime Tour Box mounted on Turbo Vado 5.0. When I got the parcel and opened it, first I was looking for the lock keys, and those were in a small plastic bag wrapped around the box' handle. Then I could not understand how to install the box in the rack ;-) It was very simple, just put the box on the rack with four small plastic pins projecting forward, then push the box, CLICK and that's it. A word of warning: The box is surprisingly small and it might not address your touring needs. The space is good enough for some anti-theft device, a small pump, tools, inner tube, a water bottle or two, some food and minimum of clothing. Decidedly not for long tour.

Attachments

• Racktime Tour Box on Turbo Vado 5.0.jpg
    Racktime Tour Box on Turbo Vado 5.0.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 1,651
Last edited:
Hi @Shekky!
A word of warning: The box is surprisingly small and it might not address your touring needs.
Still looks bigger than my preference for a light-duty day-to-day box/bag. I have one in my preferred size and style that I was planning on attaching with its velcro straps, but discovered that you can buy a Racktime baseplate on Amazon. I should be able to attach my bag to it with the included bolts and have a quick-detach bag that's just right for me.

Can you also use the horn? Is your 28 mph Vado already equipped with the TCD-W display?
It has the TCD display and a "simple bell" instead of a horn. The U.S. does not have the equivalent of a "pedelec" class for e-bikes, so the only difference between the 20mph Class 1 and 28mph Class 3 bikesis the max assisted speed. It is confusing to the rider who wants to follow the letter of the law since some places differentiate where you can use one class vs. the other, whereas others treat them the same. Fortunately, few seem to know the rules or how to tell the difference :cool: .

Hi All, Thanks for the input. I've actually answered both questions.

First, I found that the Zefal Touring Raider Front Bike Rack works perfectly on the front suspension. It clears everything with room to spare and easily took my Ortleib front panniers. I was dubious of the hose clamp attachments but I only keep clothes and light things in the front bags so no problems so far.

Second, the light thing worked itself out. Always on when the bike is on. With the charging information, I've found that the charger has to be plugged in first before attaching to the bike and THAT trips whatever is happening electronically to bring up the charging info. Again, thanks!

Attachments

• 61yYcVugc2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61yYcVugc2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 457
Hi @Shekky!
Here's the Racktime Tour Box mounted on Turbo Vado 5.0. When I got the parcel and opened it, first I was looking for the lock keys, and those were in a small plastic bag wrapped around the box' handle. Then I could not understand how to install the box in the rack ;-) It was very simple, just put the box on the rack with four small plastic pins projecting forward, then push the box, CLICK and that's it. A word of warning: The box is surprisingly small and it might not address your touring needs. The space is good enough for some anti-theft device, a small pump, tools, inner tube, a water bottle or two, some food and minimum of clothing. Decidedly not for long tour.
Thanks Stefan! I actually have a similar rig with the tour box on the rack above the panniers. I had to make a wooden spacer under the box to clear the clips on the panniers. Works well.

Hi All! Longtime cyclist but just took delivery a couple of weeks ago of a new 2020 Turbo Vado 5.0 and I have a couple of questions.

First, front racks. I had been commuting on a touring bike and really got used to my front and rear Ortleib panniers. The racks that work with suspension don't look like they work with through axles but I've found the Thule Tour Rack that attaches with a strap system. Problem with that is it doesn't look like it can clear the fender and light on the Vado. Has anyone used one of these racks and will it clear the fender and light? Any other front rack suggestions that would take my panniers?

Second, I'm enjoying the bike but there have been some "glitchy" things with the electronics. When I first took delivery of the bike, the light on and off switch functioned. Then it stopped and the lights are on anytime the bike is on. Specialized support says this is normal but why would it change by itself? Then the charging status on the display when the bike is off worked at first and then stopped displaying. Bike charges and functions normally but this is annoying. The only thing I've done is connect the bike to the Mission Control app but Specialized support says this couldn't have caused these issues. Is this sort of thing normal?

Thanks
Eric
Thanks Stefan! I actually have a similar rig with the tour box on the rack above the panniers. I had to make a wooden spacer under the box to clear the clips on the panniers. Works well.

Is your tour box a Racktime brand clipping into the Racktime rack with the wood spacer? Perhaps a pic?

Back