New to e bikes

Broncobusted

Region
USA
Hello all out there. I am a heavy rider 260+ I have been riding mostly MTn. Bike for 20 years. I am interested in a capable commuter for roughly 20 mile daily commute that can handle hills and dirt trails and doesn't cost a fortune. From what I've read here I think mid drive is the way to go. The most interesting I've found is electric XP under 2k. I've never spent that much for a MTN bike so a little nervous. I'm 51 now and just don't have the stamina I used to. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

You'll have to explain what dirt trails means to you. To me, it's a short cut from one paved trail to another, that has to be flat. To others, it's terrain where I would be walking my bike out. I'm too old to experience my first broken bones.
I wouldn't think a folding ebike makes for a good dirt trail bike. Extra weight to handle the hinge, and it's still gotta be a weak point for a heavy rider. Tires are too clunky too. Probably OK for commuting. Then again, I am biased against the 20" fat tire folders. I just gave one away and don't miss it at all.

Thanks for the advice. Sorry trails are mostly flat as you described but can be long here so the bike should be strong. Any suggestions under 2k or do I need a HELOC to afford one of these machines 😂

Just another opinion, but if I were serious about using the bike to commuter regularly (vs. a bike that COULD commute, but only on occasion), my budget would likely exceed 2k. To add the mid drive idea to that would likely drive the budget up even further....

I would not consider a folding bike with 20" tires as a good commuter - especially if that commute were 20 miles. That type bike intended more for local riding to my way of thinking.

Last, 1 more thought. Use any excuse you like to justify the bike's purchase, but if you get the right bike, I would say there's a very good chance you'll use it for more than just commuting.....

Thanks for your opinion. I guess it's just hard for me to wrap my head around that kind of money for a bicycle. I only spend about 6k for a car. Maybe the prices will be more reasonable as they get more popular. I got a few years left in these old legs.
Cheers

Thanks for your opinion. I guess it's just hard for me to wrap my head around that kind of money for a bicycle. I only spend about 6k for a car. Maybe the prices will be more reasonable as they get more popular. I got a few years left in these old legs.
Cheers
Oh man. I do get that thought! Laying out the cash for that first bike requires a huge leap of faith. MANY will purchase a "beginner" bike to test the water/see if they'll use it. That's when we see the grins that don't go away for months! For many (most?) of us, the shopping for the next bike starts soon after the first bike is brought home. The thoughts start out "this is nice, but what if it had this or that feature?". Soon, those thoughts turn into a list of options that the NEXT bike must feature. Which soon leads to the purchase of a second bike, by a much more educated buyer, that's no longer concerned about justifying the price of an e-bike.....

Regarding the beginner bike plan, I can recommend the RAD bikes pretty easily as they hold their resale value REALLY well, and because they are so popular, they sell easily. Or, that first bike is often handed off to a family member/future riding partner. Unfortunately, they don't offer any mid drives, so that's something to consider.

This bike is an inexpensive mid drive with some pretty serious power on tap. Showing it to you as much for that as to introduce you to the Rize line of bikes for their diverse offerings at pretty reasonable price levels.... -Al

I'm with you on bike prices. They seem insanely high for what you get. There isn't that much engineering, exotic materials or workmanship to justify prices on many bikes, IMO.
I have no experience with Rad bikes but at least the price is right. Currently on sale for $1299 ($700 discount). I saw a few of these riding around Crater Lake last month. Some riders were old and heavy and looked to be taking a leisurely ride on a route with a lot of elevation gain. One guy I saw ran out of battery but no one else seemed to be having a problem.

Not my cup of tea but it looks like a nice bike that might meet your needs?

I appreciate you thoughts very much thank you. Rad has been suggested to me before and fortunately I am able to rent one here in my neck of the woods so I will probably start there.👍🏼

There's nothing wrong for an Lectric Xp for riding around the neighborhood. As a daily commuter, you'll probably want something slimmer you can ride with no power, because one day that will happen. Better range too with regular tires. The new RadCity is a nice bike.

FWIW I also rode up going to the sun road in Glacier NP this summer. There were a lot of fat tire, geared hub rental bikes riding. You might read on this forum that mid drive bikes (my preference) are preferred for hill climbing but I don't recall seeing any mid drive rental bikes so the geared hub bikes like Rad are capable and durable enough for rental use on this road ridden by novice and out of shape people on a road with very significant elevation gain.

FWIW I also rode up going to the sun road in Glacier NP this summer. There were a lot of fat tire, geared hub rental bikes riding. You might read on this forum that mid drive bikes (my preference) are preferred for hill climbing but I don't recall seeing any mid drive rental bikes so the geared hub bikes like Rad are capable and durable enough for rental use on this road ridden by novice and out of shape people on a road with very significant elevation gain.
Therein lies one of the biggest BS suggestions for many users. Geared hub drives can suit MANY users and their geography. As a long-time BBSxx series owner, builder, reseller, and support person I now ride GD motors too. I'm quite amazed at how well they work.

Thank you everyone it's good to hear from experienced folks. I reached out to my local rad shop and have a test drive scheduled on a rad 6+. I'm off on my e bike journey 😊

Therein lies one of the biggest BS suggestions for many users. Geared hub drives can suit MANY users and their geography. As a long-time BBSxx series owner, builder, reseller, and support person I now ride GD motors too. I'm quite amazed at how well they work.
Love them as well. About as easy to ride as anything imaginable. The issues start, in my experience, when you talk big hills and big riders. Sure the geared hubs provide plenty of performance - but they do have limits - and those limits are going to be pushed with big hills, big riders, and my concern regarding our OP, a big rider trying to climb a big hill! Because I haven't seen what he's going to be running into regarding hills, I would feel bad recommending a geared hub that gets hot and overheats climbing a hill he needs to climb regularly. A mid drive is pretty easy to recommend when somebody is talking hills. Noteworthy maybe, is the fact my wife, who weighs less than half of what I weigh, rides a geared hub bike, and can go anywhere I can (within reason) with one of the most powerful mid drives available...

Worth mentioning here I think, is that I'm 6'1"/300 and 71 years old. I have, and ride, both geared hub and mid drive bikes regularly. One area I ride frequently is smack dab in the middle of an area surrounded by big rolling coastal hills. The geared hubs don't do well with me on them.... -Al

"the geared hub bikes like Rad are capable and durable enough for rental use on this road ridden by novice and out of shape people on a road with very significant elevation gain."

We've ridden our bikes in mountain country, but on renovated rail trail, so it couldn't have been too steep. It was still 30 mph coming down. Interstates are limited to 6%, I've only seen 10% on a bicycle bridge. While I have driven up Going-to-the-Sun road, I don't recall it being especially steep, but it's good info that rental hubbikes have no problem,

"the geared hub bikes like Rad are capable and durable enough for rental use on this road ridden by novice and out of shape people on a road with very significant elevation gain."

While I have driven up Going-to-the-Sun road, I don't recall it being especially steep, but it's good info that rental hubbikes have no problem,
I've driven it a couple times and rode a ICE scooter up it once, it didn't seem that steep to me either in or on a motor vehicle. My perception changed riding it on a bicycle, over 3400 feet ascent in 21 miles from Lake McDonald lodge to the Logan Pass visitor center when the road is open that far. I've ridden steeper grades like Hurricane Ridge Rd in the Olympic Peninsula which climbs over 3400ft in 12 miles from Heart O' the Hills campground to Hurricane Ridge visitor center. I've done that a few times on regular bikes and this summer on an ebike. I can say in '19 I saw two older riders on Rad Runner type (not sure of brand) geared hub bikes riding right along without a sweat on that road also.

Love them as well. About as easy to ride as anything imaginable. The issues start, in my experience, when you talk big hills and big riders. Sure the geared hubs provide plenty of performance - but they do have limits - and those limits are going to be pushed with big hills, big riders, and my concern regarding our OP, a big rider trying to climb a big hill! Because I haven't seen what he's going to be running into regarding hills, I would feel bad recommending a geared hub that gets hot and overheats climbing a hill he needs to climb regularly. A mid drive is pretty easy to recommend when somebody is talking hills. Noteworthy maybe, is the fact my wife, who weighs less than half of what I weigh, rides a geared hub bike, and can go anywhere I can (within reason) with one of the most powerful mid drives available...

Worth mentioning here I think, is that I'm 6'1"/300 and 71 years old. I have, and ride, both geared hub and mid drive bikes regularly. One area I ride frequently is smack dab in the middle of an area surrounded by big rolling coastal hills. The geared hubs don't do well with me on them.... -Al
He posted "mostly flat".

Grades are 6% at Going to the Sun. In my yoot i pedaled up. 3 years living in Missoula and
“Cowsbell”.

As your ride does not gain 1000' in an hour, I would suggest a stretch frame hub motor bike. https://blixbike.com/products/packa-electric-cargo-bike
$1999 + shipping today. The extra length frame puts more of your weight on the front tire, so the back tire is not maximumaly loaded. I ride 330 lb gross up 77 short hills in 3.7 hours with my hub motor cargo bike (shown left) and at 1000 watts it performed very well. Blix is quoting 1350 watts peak. At 260 lb for you and 70 lb for the bike you should be in that weight range without cargo. 24" tires smooth out the bumps better than 20". It has a generic dolphin battery if you want two to extend the range. In fact they sell a two battery model. I use about 2/3 of a 840 watthour battery in 27 miles and 77 hills at the weight quoted (I carry >60 lb groceries & ag supplies to my summer camp uphill).
Blix has only one post today on the "known problems and solutions" thread in the brand forum. This is many less reported problems than Rad. Rad is reputable about shipping replacement parts, but 1 spoke at a time costs you an hour wheel trueing (or $75 at a shop) every time you replace one. One lady in Scotland with a Rad had to take it to the shop 4 times in 4 months for stretched spokes (which replacements were free from Rad)
Mid drives are required to not overheat on long steep grades, as the "Road to the Sun" in Glacier National Park or Hurricane ridge road quoted above. Mid drives do cool better than geared hub drives. An hour lugging at low speed up a hill can burn the winding on a geared hub. One downside of mid drive is 3 to 5 times more frequent chain replacement. With my hub drive I get ~5000 miles per chain. Another downside of mid-drive (bosch, shimano) is most have a required display mounted on the handlebar. This means you have to remove the display to flip the bike over on handlebar & seat to change a tube when you get a flat. I have no display and can change a flat in 20 minutes or less. I don't need a display; I can see how far I went on a map when I get home. With my pannier (bags) I can carry a full set of tire tools, 3 tubes (a new one sometimes blows up immediately) and a spare tire (fold flat) everywhere. Also 40 oz water and rain or cold gear. Most mid-drive bikes (bosch, shimano) have a patented battery costing >$1000 to replace or carry an extra. The dolphin batteries like the blix can be bought from shanghai (reentron) for ~$700 or less for a huge one.

Back