New Stator For My Core 5

cardiobiker

Region
USA
Hi Folks,

Not a very handy ebike enthusiast here. Don‘t really know the inner workings of an ebike, I just like riding them.

Anyway, was riding my Core-5 that has around 1200 miles on it, and suddenly it made this strange grinding sound every time I engaged the throttle or PAS. Visited Ride1up’s support page and read the instructions on motor noises. Also sent the required videos to support.

Support came back a day later saying my Bike was out of warranty ( March 2021 purchase date) and I needed a new Stator for $300. They also linked a video on how to remove the Stator which showed instructions on how to remove the motor from the bike.

l‘m still not sure what a Stator is. Is it the whole motor? Support has not yet responded to my query on that. Also, is it easy to install? Since I’m out of warranty, is there better, cheaper, and easier aftermarket replacement I can buy or should I just bite the bullet and spend the 300 bucks? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cardiobiker

Hello cardiobiker! Could you perform a diagnosis trick that I describe? Before purchasing a new motor, it will be worth to make sure that is the issue. With the unit turned off, If you elevate the rear wheel and spin the motor backwards by hand, can you feel an abnormal amount of resistance? I.e. more resistance than the drivetrain, if the motor or controller are shorted out, it will take some force to move that rear wheel backwards. If this is a hub-drive unit with a motor harness plug next to one of the chain stays, if there is resistance, you can disconnect the harness and retest. If the resistance goes away after unplugging, it will diagnose that you have a bad motor controller (mosfet short). If the resistance persists, you may have a phase burnout inside of the motor. If there is no resistance at all during this testing stage, you may have a single or multiple faulty hall sensors, which are extremely repairable.

I hope this test helps! :)

Hey Cody,
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the diagnostic tips. I’m not that mechanically inclined so I just went ahead and bought a new one from Ride1up for $250.

I didn’t really have a good experience with their support. Their response is often slow(more than 1 business day). Also, according to FedEx tracking, my part has not even shipped yet and yet it is suppose to arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply Cody. Much appreciated.

Cardiobiker

@krdugger
Please contact me regarding the replacement stator I purchased. It has been 10 days since your support claims that the stator has been shipped and still the tracking number has not been updated. Your support is telling me this is a normal delay in tracking numbers being updated. Any reasonable person with experience in online shopping can tell you that this is not normal. There is obviously something wrong.

Thanks,
Cardiobiker

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-13 112208.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-13 112208.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 169
Back