Need bike recommendations

Rogue

Region
USA
Hi, we are two 60ish women going on a five month national park road trip this summer. I have a rooftop tent on my Subaru, so we'll be using the bikes to cruise around the campground, see the sites in the parks, run errands, and light trail rides or forest service roads. We're not going to be doing anything crazy. I've been researching bikes like crazy, but am having difficulty making a decision. My price point is around $2000 per bike. I'm going to have them on a hitch rack on the back of the Subaru, so they need to be light enough that we can get them on and off rack. Suggestions and feedback are most welcome. One of the bikes needs to be a step through, and mine can be either (no back or knee issues for me). Have a great day everyone.

Well good for you! Love it. I recommend Biktrix as the best direct to consumer bike purveyor and they have excellent models that will suit your needs. Since you are going to be nowhere near the local bike store you might use ... direct to consumer is probably your best bet. Plus if you have problems and you go into any decent bike shop and explain any dilemma you might have, and that you are two girls WAY out on the road .... most of them will help you.

Also, try and get bikes with decent sized batteries. You can tool around parks probably without charging for two or three days. Lessening your needs for charging.

Welcome to the forum. :)👍

Hi. Great idea. We have a Subaru also. Tricky getting a rack that was less expensive but would hold our bikes. A lot of people like the Lectric bikes especially the step thru. My daughter has one and she likes it. Tough enough for trails with the 4 inch wide tires on 20 inch wheels. 500 w motor. Sturdy, easy to get on and off, good customer service and only $900 each. They weigh about 65 lbs. A lot of RV people like them. I like my Espin Sport. 2 inch tires, 500 w motor, 55 lbs. Doesn't fold. Espin also makes a step thru called a Flow and a fat tire folder, Nesta. The Espin Nesta folder has a more powerful motor, hydraulic brakes and a suspension fork so it costs more than the Lectric bike. Not sure you need all that. We also have an Espin Nero but it is a beast. Go anywhere but it is very heavy. Ride 1 up also makes decent non folding bikes.

It's very difficult to recommend a specific bike to someone since there are so many factors involved but here are a few things to consider:

Parts & service are important issues when e-bike shopping. Talk to all the good folks at the bike shops in your area and test ride as many as you can! Your LBS is a great place to ask questions. If you decide to buy on line, check to see if you can get service for that brand locally. If you are handy with tools and are comfortable doing your own work, check to see if the bike maker will send parts directly to you without having to go through a dealer. There is nothing worse than spending a lot on a bike only to find you can't get parts or service.

If you plan to ride roads or trails with considerable slope, you should consider getting mid drive bikes rather than those with rear hub motors.

Just because you don't need a step thru bike now doesn't mean you won't in the future. These bikes are expensive and you'll want to ride them as long as possible. A step thru can be a form of insurance against a future malady.

Check the laws in the area you plan to ride. This especially true in National Parks. Class 1 bikes (no throttle with speed<20 mph) are permitted in some areas where as class 2 & 3 bikes are banned.

Your plan sounds like a lot of fun and a great adventure! Although most National Parks now accommodate e-bikes to some extent, the regulations can vary from park to park and many trails are still closed to bikes. It's best to do a little research on the parks you plan to visit.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

Hi. Great idea. We have a Subaru also. Tricky getting a rack that was less expensive but would hold our bikes. A lot of people like the Lectric bikes especially the step thru. My daughter has one and she likes it. Tough enough for trails with the 4 inch wide tires on 20 inch wheels. 500 w motor. Sturdy, easy to get on and off, good customer service and only $900 each. They weigh about 65 lbs. A lot of RV people like them. I like my Espin Sport. 2 inch tires, 500 w motor, 55 lbs. Doesn't fold. Espin also makes a step thru called a Flow and a fat tire folder, Nesta. The Espin Nesta folder has a more powerful motor, hydraulic brakes and a suspension fork so it costs more than the Lectric bike. Not sure you need all that. We also have an Espin Nero but it is a beast. Go anywhere but it is very heavy. Ride 1 up also makes decent non folding bikes.
Thanks. Espin was not a brand I've heard of. I'll check them out

Ariel Rider M Class? Easy to get on and off. Great torque sensing middrive. Has a throttle. Should weigh around 40 pounds with the battery removed.

Have you checked the reviews section of this very forum you are a member of? The EBR staff have spent many hours riding and reviewing all styles of bikes and have them neatly categorized by type.

A fantastic manufacturer no one has mentioned yet is RAD out of the Seattle area. They ship direct and have multiple perennial award-winning models.

I second the note regarding talking with your local bike shops - even if you have no plans to buy from them - UNLESS you plan on doing all of your own service work. You need to have a plan going into this. Do NOT assume that local shops can/will take care of a bike they didn't sell....

And step throughs are not just for those with knee or back troubles. They also work great for those that are vertically challenged....

Back