Major Problem - Can't find...

Nvreloader

Western Nevada
Region
USA
Ok Guys
I have a major problem, in that I want to replace my 2009 Montague rigid fork for general purpose riding suspension fork.
The spec's for the replacement fork are:
1-1/8" x 26 tpi, (threaded)
spring type,
"V" type brakes,
26" wheel size.

Some of the ones I am looking at are:
(1st choice)
SR Suntour XCM 1 1/8" Threaded Suspension Fork, 180mm Steerer Length
PART NUM 409073

(2nd choice)
SR Suntour XCM Suspension Fork: 26", 1-1/8" Threaded Steerer, 100mm Travel, Linear Pull and Disc, Black, PART NUM 292827

RST Capa-T 26" Suspension Fork - 1-1/8" Threaded Steerer
PART NUM 687093

RST Capa-T 26" Suspension Fork, 1-1/8", 250/50mm, QR9, 80mm, Black
PART NUM 382444

SR Suntour XCM HLO Suspension Fork: 26", 1-1/8" Threadless Steerer, 100mm Travel, 100x9mm, Linear Pull and Disc, Black
PART NUM 235272

I have found several that will fit EXCEPT for this major problem,
I have a 1/8" key way running from the top of the fork, down several inches
thru the threaded area, to an unknown.

Why this keyway is there is unknown to me.

There are NO threaded forks that have this key way?

Is there a work around for this key way?

Can a nonthreaded fork be threaded to1-1/8" x 26 tpi, and still work on this bike??

Your thoughts or suggestions...
Tia,

IIRC, that keyway is for a big washer with a tab on it that fits into the keyway.
The tab in the keyway keeps the washer (which may also include a bracket that holds the brake cable in front or reflector) from spinning when you tighten up the headset.

If the washer turns, it could spin the the nut below it and overtighten the headset bearing.

The two headset nuts lock together with the tabbed washer in between.

You might be able to get a different style of steerer tube nuts that don't require the notched steerer tube.
If fact, there must be a way to tighten everything properly because forks are being sold without the notch.

The steerer tube nuts are too thin to get a regular wrench on it with enough clearance.
There is probably a special thin wrench available to fit in there to hold the bottom nut while you tighten the top nut with a regular wrench

Last edited:
Thanks PC
My bike does NOT have the keyed lock washer, I have just 2 nuts with a hard rubber "O" ring between the nuts that tighten/jamb together to set the head stem tension.

I am having a very hard time finding 1-1/8" threaded suspension front forks for/with the "V" brakes attachment posts.

I am hoping that, I can thread a non threaded fork stem, lots of these type of susp forks for "V" or Disc brake attachment points.
Back to researching...

My bike does NOT have the keyed lock washer, I have just 2 nuts with a hard rubber "O" ring between the nuts that tighten/jamb together to set the head stem tension.

If you've pulled your headset apart and found nothing sliding into the slot in your head tube (nothing with a tab), then you'll be fine with a fork with a non slotted head tube.

,.. with a hard rubber "O" ring between the nuts that tighten/jamb together to set the head stem tension.

Check that "O" ring.
It might not be rubber and it may have a tab,..

DSC_0125_0608d463-00c3-4e60-9e49-47d81fc6a29c_1200x1200-2812795927.jpg
Screenshot_20240927-001826_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20240927-001919_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back