Mahle ebikemotion / X35 system - Can you build from scratch?

yampotato27

Region
Canada
Hello,

I'd like to convert my gravel bike to an e-bike using the Mahle X35 system. Can this be done? Was thinking you could use the bottle cage mount range extender battery as the main power source.

Thank you in advance!!

Another option, since you live in Canada, is to buy the needed components from Grin, which is located in Vancouver.
Grin is on the expensive side, but sells quality products, and I doubt the Mahle X35 system would be cheaper.

Grin: ebikes.ca

Thank you Deacon. I prefer the minimalism, quietness and function of the Mahle over the products that grin offers. Let me know if you've any thoughts to my question. Thank you

There's also a company out of the UK called Boost that's now selling a very basic kit.
It offers a small rear, hub motor and a range extender 'water bottle' battery, along with an option wireless display.
I sent them an email asking if their product was going to be available in Canada and they replied that they would, in the near future, be offering the kit in Canada.
www.boostbike.uk

well, you can buy the individual Mahle components from Orbea, but you will run into a problem with the range extender. It’s not a simple battery, but a battery charger, that trickle charges the main battery so it can’t be used alone. Also, the system controller is built into the main battery housing, so you will still need that. In any case, the system is possibly underpowered where you need it most, on steeper climbs, as the motor is most efficient nearing its cut-out speed of 25kmh (in Europe).
I’m afraid you will need to be looking at a conversion kit of some sort, but you can certainly hide a battery in a saddle/seat post bag for stealth. I have a 7Ah hoverboard battery in mine, very small. You will need to hide the controller, but gravel bikes look cool with frame bags, so that would work. Maybe ask on here for recommendations on conversion kits. I used a Yosepower one for a year, it was amazing, actually better than my Mahle powered bike, but unsure of their longevity.

well, you can buy the individual Mahle components from Orbea, but you will run into a problem with the range extender. It’s not a simple battery, but a battery charger, that trickle charges the main battery so it can’t be used alone. Also, the system controller is built into the main battery housing, so you will still need that. In any case, the system is possibly underpowered where you need it most, on steeper climbs, as the motor is most efficient nearing its cut-out speed of 25kmh (in Europe).
I’m afraid you will need to be looking at a conversion kit of some sort, but you can certainly hide a battery in a saddle/seat post bag for stealth. I have a 7Ah hoverboard battery in mine, very small. You will need to hide the controller, but gravel bikes look cool with frame bags, so that would work. Maybe ask on here for recommendations on conversion kits. I used a Yosepower one for a year, it was amazing, actually better than my Mahle powered bike, but unsure of their longevity.
Thank you Yako, this really helps. Am curious to see your bike with a 7Ah hoverboard battery, very curious! Is this with the Yosepower?

No, I have an Orbea Gain, but didn’t want to spend €600 on a small battery charger/range extender battery so I made my own, which sits in a seat post bag, leaving my two bottle cages free for the drinks I need on my now-longer rides! Have a look on Yako Rides aGain channel on YouTube if you like. It’s been running perfectly for 15 months now. For you though, there Is plenty of stuff here and on the Pedelecs Forum to decide on a decent, discrete rear hub motor (I really did like the ‘350w’ Yose), a small, reliable controller, handlebar display unit (bah, poor memory but I think most swear by KT LCD3 which allows lots of fine tuning) and a PAS sensor to go with a hoverboard battery in a seat post bag. Some of these guys have been running these for years with no issues - and if they do go wrong, are cheap to replace.

Back