Locking Up with a Front Basket

Pearl B

Hi,
I'm considering purchasing from Electric Bicycle Company. I do want a front basket and will be using the bicycle for going to the store.
I'm wondering if the front basket prohibits putting the bike in the upside down u shaped bike rack in front of most stores for locking purposes.
Is this a problem, and if so, how do you with an EBC bike lock your bike up in public?
Thank you

My answer isn't specific to EBC so perhaps someone else can address that. But I always carry, in addition to 1 or more locks, two steel loop cables. A thick one and a thinner one. For the times, for example, when I go to the grocery store and there isn't space at the bike rack or my bike doesn't fit through the rack, I use the thick loop cable to secure to a fixed object (ie light pole) at one end, and to my lock at the other end. I make sure I lock the bike such that my lock secures the rear wheel to the frame (bike can't be rolled and rear wheel can't be stolen) and then the loop cable secures the bike to the fixed object. If someone cuts the loop cable, they will still have to carry the bike or cut the lock on the bike in order to roll it. Securing in this method is pretty common when I take my Tern GSD to the store as it never fits in bike racks (front basket, side rails for cargo panniers). I usually park the bike next to a light pole or next to the bike racks but it won't fit through the bike racks. I also have a cafe lock to secure the front wheel. I carry the thinner cable for running through the seat rails at one end and onto the lock at the other. Below is just an example - I think mine is a Schlage:

1567379298537.png

Never tried it, would not leave my bike alone. I have brought inside stores but would never leave it outside, to big of a target. Pretty tall bike would think it would clear the rack.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190901-204945.png
    Screenshot_20190901-204945.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 588
That's a beautiful bike!
All we have around here are the upside down U shaped bike racks. I think the basket is going to make it impossible to get much of the front tire in.

Couldn’t you put it next to the upside U instead of through it? Or is it the continuous U kind?

Hi eBob,

It's the continuous upside down U. I think if I go to the store early enough, I can chain it to the end of the U. I have a shwinn cruiser and have been doing that and so far so good.

Back