Learning about Shimano Steps Motors and their Capabilites and Adjustments

Bufatutu

I bought an ebike and was completely dissatisfied with the included owners manual. It told me nothing about the motor and its capabilities and possibilities for adjustment. So I did a search for the Shimano Steps Owners/Users Manual, which was easy to find on the Shimano website. But the Users Manual only provided the very very basics. So I explored further and found the Dealer or Service Manual for all the Shimano mid-drive motors. This Shimano Steps Service Manual is filled with all kinds of interesting, and some of it, very useful information, much of not of a service or maintenance nature. It has lots of particularly interesting color charts for each motor showing power output under various pedaling, cadence and assist modes. It has charts showing how range is tested and impacted by use of each mode and changing terrain. This Service Manual isn't just for Shimano mechanics and dealers, but for riders! I highly recommend.

Also I downloaded the Shimano e-Tube app on my iphone and was amazed at how easy it was to link to the bike and to change the assist levels. Each assist level on my e8000 equipped bike has three internal level options. I am still a bit in shock about how adjusting the levels from those set from the factory has made this bike so much more use-able, fun, and joyous even. If your bike is powered by a Shimano mid-drive, and you haven't tried the app, you don't know what your missing.

Thank you ! I am looking at an ebike with he newest Shimano EP8 motor I think it is a lighter and it's also shoppable with the E8000. The manual helps a lot.

Also I downloaded the Shimano e-Tube app on my iphone and was amazed at how easy it was to link to the bike and to change the assist levels. Each assist level on my e8000 equipped bike has three internal level options. I am still a bit in shock about how adjusting the levels from those set from the factory has made this bike so much more use-able, fun, and joyous even. If your bike is powered by a Shimano mid-drive, and you haven't tried the app, you don't know what your missing.
It’s also really nice that you don’t have to rely on the LBS to install motor, display, and battery software updates! You just use the app.

Back