Just got an EVELO Quest One

Kemper

Hz8AG8Zh.jpg

So far so good! You may notice it's missing the rear fender... the fender support strut I received was a little short (causing the wheel to rub the inside of the fender). Replacement en route.

If anyone has been thinking about this bike and have any questions, let me know! I only have about 10 miles on it so far.

100 mile update: All is well!

A couple notes/observations so far:
  • The power is fine for my mostly-flat ride, but now of course I wish I had got more! In real world I'm getting about 16 miles of range before the battery is in the 20%-40% range and my average speed is around 14 mph. Fresh charge keeps me back in the 18-20 mph range.
  • I was a little wobbly on the bike at first but with experience feel much more stable.
  • I mess with the kickstand every couple of days because the pedals will hit it for some reason. Glad to see this redesigned in their next model.
  • Folding the new, stiff bicycle joints was tough at first but have loosened up now.
  • Still happy with the weight. Have had to carry across a few stores, up/down stairs, and I wouldn't want it any heavier.
  • Really enjoy the integrated lights but wish the front one was a bit brighter and the rear had a blinking option/mode.
  • Throttle: Responsive when I first start riding. After a few uses it seems to have a 2-3 second delay which is remedied by turning off and back on again. I haven't reached out to Evelo support since it's probably some characteristic of the drive system and doesn't affect me much.
  • Belt: No signs of wear, but I am missing having gears. Thinking about the Max for it's transmission. Riding this bike without motor assist isn't much fun :).
Ro6xcbt.jpg

Last edited:
550.7 mile update!

Still trucking. My commute is a short one. 4 miles to work and 4 miles back. Always on pedal assist level 5 and I always pedal. Quite flat. Lately I've been wearing a heart rate monitor and keeping track with Strava to make sure that I'm pushing myself. Enough about me:

• I (think) I'm noticing a little battery degradation but this is based on nothing but feel and memory. I've seen 20% charge a couple of times, but I generally charge at 40%. ebikeschool.com on YouTube recommends not charging fully to maximize lithium battery life. Maybe I'll do that on my next pack!
  • I'm already thinking about my next battery pack. $500 on Evelo's website. I'm going to evaluate whether I want to go down the road of splitting the case open and tackwelding a new series of 18650s myself. We'll see.
  • I've made a couple of brake adjustments to get the handles where it feels right to me, but pads look good. I don't do much heavy breaking.
  • The belt looks the same as it did at 100 miles. After having the rear tube replaced the bike shop adjusted the belt to be much looser than I had it. I used the silly Gates app to confirm (just doesn't seem like it should work) and they did it right!
  • I don't fold it very often (as I expected I would) so the joints are still pretty tight.
  • All the electronics and lights work just fine.
  • Court often rags on cheap plastic pedals and now I know why. I replaced with some affordable "mountain biking" ones and my shoes feel glued to the pedals. Despite not folding like the stock ones, they don't get in the way when I fold the bike.
  • There's sign of a little "grease moisture" around the hub that attracts dirt. I've wiped it clean a few times and it's reappeared, but doesn't seem excessive and there's no other indications of an issue with this.

Attachments

• 20180404_190214.jpg
    20180404_190214.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 740
  • 20180404_190223.jpg
    20180404_190223.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 742
  • 20180404_195603.jpg
    20180404_195603.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 774
580 miles: Broke a rear spoke.

Not sure how or exactly when it happened, but a single spoke sheared where it connects to the hub motor... where it's "mushroomed" to hold it into the hole in the hub (pretty sure I'm slaughtering all the proper vocabulary). Evelo shipped me two new ones and I got them in about 3 days. Didn't clarify with them if I'm on the hook for labor, but we'll see what it costs at the local bike shop.

Update: Warranty only covers labor inside of 10 days after delivery. However, only $20 for my repair including adjusting/checking all the spokes. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
100 mile update: All is well!

A couple notes/observations so far:
  • The power is fine for my mostly-flat ride, but now of course I wish I had got more! In real world I'm getting about 16 miles of range before the battery is in the 20%-40% range and my average speed is around 14 mph. Fresh charge keeps me back in the 18-20 mph range.
  • I was a little wobbly on the bike at first but with experience feel much more stable.
  • I mess with the kickstand every couple of days because the pedals will hit it for some reason. Glad to see this redesigned in their next model.
  • Folding the new, stiff bicycle joints was tough at first but have loosened up now.
  • Still happy with the weight. Have had to carry across a few stores, up/down stairs, and I wouldn't want it any heavier.
  • Really enjoy the integrated lights but wish the front one was a bit brighter and the rear had a blinking option/mode.
  • Throttle: Responsive when I first start riding. After a few uses it seems to have a 2-3 second delay which is remedied by turning off and back on again. I haven't reached out to Evelo support since it's probably some characteristic of the drive system and doesn't affect me much.
  • Belt: No signs of wear, but I am missing having gears. Thinking about the Max for it's transmission. Riding this bike without motor assist isn't much fun :).
Ro6xcbt.jpg
Hi, great posts, thanks a lot for sharing. I just ordered one of these but keep going back and forth between this and the Max with gears. You also say you wouldn’t want it to be any heavier but the Max is a lbs heavier at 52 instead of 38, would you still want the Max or happy with one gear and lighter bike?

Well my needs have changed quite a bit since I originally purchased (I hardly ever need to fold it up), so the weight isn't so much of a concern. I'm always wishing I had more gears... I almost always pedal assist and wish I could push more when going down hills, etc. If I could do it over, I'd go with the Max!

Good to know - I live in a small row house in DC so I think I will be folding it a good bit - mostly weekend rides and rides to work (4 miles to Union Station, mostly flat with bike lanes) - I was thinking about the Max too - guess Ill have ten days to decide cause you can trade or send back - LOL - not many hills here and I may be keeping it outside (but folded & covered wo battery some), do you know a bag that would fit this bike? I can't seem to find one on Amazon that has he 18" width. thanks for all the info, its been really helpful.

Good to know - I live in a small row house in DC so I think I will be folding it a good bit - mostly weekend rides and rides to work (4 miles to Union Station, mostly flat with bike lanes) - I was thinking about the Max too - guess Ill have ten days to decide cause you can trade or send back - LOL - not many hills here and I may be keeping it outside (but folded & covered wo battery some), do you know a bag that would fit this bike? I can't seem to find one on Amazon that has he 18" width. thanks for all the info, its been really helpful.

No I wish I had... would be nice for storage, transport, protection, etc. I searched Google for "folding bike case" and saw all sorts of things, but most of them are probably bags/cases for specific models.

Back