Is it okay to park an e-bike outdoors in rain during work day?

ebikes rock

Hey All,

I got a job transfer and will be moving to Portland, OR in January. I'm already a (pedal-only) cycle commuter but plan to finally take the plunge for a pair of e-bikes once wifey and I get there.

Does anyone have any insight regarding outdoor bike parking for e-bikes? Like, would it greatly reduce the e-bike lifespan to park the bike at a rack every day for eight hours? Does the constant mist/drizzle affect the circuitry?

I've got big-time locks and will be parking in a good area.

I know that riding in rain is fine. My main concern is the affect of dampness when NOT riding. Like, if there is a lack of indoor parking at my new office. What then?

Would a tarp be okay?

How does constant dampness affect e-bikes?

Water intrusion is always a problem with electronic and mechanical parts. My son lives in OR, his office lets employees bring their bikes inside. Where I work, we have a bike locker inside the parking garage.

Some people just bring their bikes to their desks, or park them in a long hallway.

The a tarp is going to be the pain in the tookis.

jeff

I was looking at the YardStash covers for about $25-$40 on Amazon depending on size. It looks like it folds into a provided pouch you can strap on a rear rack. It also has a hole in the cover with a grommet for a locking cable to secure the cover with the bike.

Like Jeff B. said above, it will be a pain in the butt to put on/off, store during bike rides, and dry out everyday.

I lived in Seattle for almost 5 years. Rain (more like constant drizzle) really wasn't a problem. We just called it "liquid sunshine" and most never even bother with using umbrellas. It was not being able to dry things out for days was the issue. You will see start to see rusty spots on non-aluminum parts and mold on cloth materials if you can't dry things out for days at a time.

I would check for any covered bike rack, indoor bike storage in a few block radius, or double-check with the new job folks for indoor storage/charging spaces.

I had the same question before I bought my eBike, but after test riding it, I liked it so much I bought it first and would deal with that question later haha.

Anyways, I had it out last night and it was a misty rain drizzle as well as my ride into work. As much as possible I try to store it indoors which I can at home and work. It also depends on which eBike you end up getting, go ahead and do your research and contact the eBikes you are interested, I have found most company's are very helpful lol.

Here are some snippets from my email convo to give you an idea:

ME: "...Since I live in Chicago and deal with many weather conditions I chose this one because it looked pretty weather proof, but wanted to confirm. Is the bike okay to be used in the rain? Is the LCD display and all the electronics ok to be used and operated in the rain/snow/etc here in Chicago?"

THEIR RESPONSE: "...These bikes are made to work in all kinds of weather. The electrical components are sealed so you don't have to worry about that. The weather problems arise if the bike is left out all the time without cover. We encourage people to wipe it down at the end of the day if it has been in inclement weather. You should store it in a dry place."

Good luck on your future purchase!

Take care, ride safe!
Marc V

I have same question too as i am thinking to buy an e-bike. I live in Seattle and rain is a big issue right here.

I try to check IP values of the controller, motor and Battery but most e-bike companies don't or can't give me those information.

Good points, above, regarding precautions for electric parts & connections & wiping it down. Some of the less expensive bikes have mechanical parts which are more prone to rust. Others on this forum use products to insulate connections and metal parts, such as dielectric grease and Anti-Corrosion Lubricant.

I'm using those products and have no fear of the wet N Calif weather being experienced these days. I have my bike parked outside using this cover. If there was space, I'd park it out of the weather.

1uprack-5-3.JPG

A simple cover is the smart move. While things are sealed pretty well, I err on the side of caution. In real downpours there will be intrusion. Lots of rain riding will also get intrusion of moisture. I'd be disappointed in the shop that claimed impervious to rain.

WAIT! They're pedal bikes? NOT eBikes! Still a great concept! But that's a rental meter, and a hub dynamo, and hub 8speed. No motor...

HAHA! Nearly a desert. But only twice the rain of Phoenix. AZ Nice picture! Cool bikes.
booster-bikes.com, I can't connect, but those are interesting frames. I've asked my friend in Madrid. A stunning city!

I was out riding on one of my kitted bikes that have the standard dolphin battery pack, and there was a sudden downpour. I quickly locked it up outside a McDonald's and dived inside for cover. The ebike was left out in about 40 minutes of drenching rain. When the rain stopped I tried to dry the battery and all connections. The bike would not turn on despite having at least a half charge when I left it. Rode it home old-school (unassisted :( ) where I then really dried it out thoroughly. Put in on the charger, charged it back up, and it has worked fine ever since. That was about 4 months ago.

From My friend in Madrid. Low rainfall but outdoors 24/7
The booster bike is around 22 kilograms (48 pounds) and cuts the electric thrust at 18 km/h (11 mph), therefore, the assistance will make a difference between sport and transport, but won’t let people surf the city like the effortless kamikaze-deliverymen in New York City.

The bicycle is designed and built by the Spanish company BonoPark, which is at the same time in charge of the stands and management of the system. In total, there will be 1,560 bicycles and 3,120 stands shared at 123 stations. The bicycles will be available 24/7, all year long.

The price is, like always, the most controversial point. Starting with an annual fee of 25 euros (15 for the public transport subscribers), the users will pay 50 euro cents for the first 30 minutes and 60 additional cents for each half-hour of use. After the second hour the price rises to 4 euro per hour.

Madrid leaves its fleet of 1500 e-bikes out in the rain... :)

View attachment 15994

Back