Is a mtb style viable for short commute?

Philthyfool

Hey all, I'm getting closer to buying my first e bike but still need a little help. My commute to work is about 3.5 miles each way and almost completely flat. It will stay on pavement most of the time with maybe an occasional trek onto some dirt or gravel. I was thinking the juiced cross current air would be a nice budget option but then I thought about the roads around here. They are almost always in pretty poor shape and the idea of hitting a pothole on one of those hurts. I was hoping to stay around $1500 or less but can expand a little if I need to. Is it worth considering a mountain bike style e bike for the comfort? I read the review here on the surface 604 shred and it seems like a real nice bike for the money but I wasn't sure if a mtb is viable for daily commuting. Are there any other options in that price range I should consider?

I commute 28 miles each way on a mountain bike, I put a pannier rack on it, and put some slicker tyres on, it seems to be working out really well.

Have you tried the bike, or a similar style bike? Take some test rides (even on conventional bikes) to get an idea of the posture, etc., that you are comfortable with. :)

Depends on what kind of fork you get if you are after comfort. A cheap spring fork is just a touch more comfortable than a rigid fork. Air fork is far superior. But in the $1500 range, you aren't going to get a RockShox. Any bike should be capable of a 7 mile round trip. Definitely no knobbies though, the sound drives me nuts on pavement.

Phil ...
Choose the eMTB; it'll put a smile on your face each weekend and still be able to get you to work quickly and comfortably.
... David

Have you tried the bike, or a similar style bike? Take some test rides (even on conventional bikes) to get an idea of the posture, etc., that you are comfortable with. :)
I don't think there's anywhere around I could test ride one. I've ridden all kinds of traditional bikes though. I bought a hybrid a few years ago for committing because I like a more upright stance but speed to get where I'm going fast enough.

Seems like the consensus is eMTBs are suitable for a commute. Are there any models you guys suggest I look at in the $1500-$2000 range?

Seems like the consensus is eMTBs are suitable for a commute. Are there any models you guys suggest I look at in the $1500-$2000 range?
A garage sale Schwinn is suitable for a 3.5 mile commute. Go back to the EBR home page. There is a tab for top rated.

Hey all, I'm getting closer to buying my first e bike but still need a little help. My commute to work is about 3.5 miles each way and almost completely flat. It will stay on pavement most of the time with maybe an occasional trek onto some dirt or gravel. I was thinking the juiced cross current air would be a nice budget option but then I thought about the roads around here. They are almost always in pretty poor shape and the idea of hitting a pothole on one of those hurts. I was hoping to stay around $1500 or less but can expand a little if I need to. Is it worth considering a mountain bike style e bike for the comfort? I read the review here on the surface 604 shred and it seems like a real nice bike for the money but I wasn't sure if a mtb is viable for daily commuting. Are there any other options in that price range I should consider?

I think the Shred (@ $1900 USD) is right where you want to be with components, price range, type of riding, etc. It appears many of the members with that bike do not have many complaints, (if any). Surface 604 looks like they stand behind their products from what I have seen.

A garage sale Schwinn is suitable for a 3.5 mile commute. Go back to the EBR home page. There is a tab for top rated.

That's where I found the surface 604 shred mentioned in this discussion. I was asking if anyone had other suggestions, or if the shed is the best option, as there is only the one affordable option in that category.

I live in NZ, and also have a very short commute, basically from home and then onto a ferry, and a 10 min brisk walk to work. I use the eMotion evo 27.5 (as in my avatar), fitted a luggage rack, got some panniers. Really well specced bike, soaks up bumps, gravel, and a wee bit of off roading......... so would recommend a eMTB without doubt or hesitation. Only issue is that I paid about NZD$ 3.4k, so not a cheap option ;(

Back