I think we are going to be mainstream!!!

Good article. I think I agree with you and the article. eBikes used in metro areas with a decent path and lanes system would make it a no-brainer.

I'm not so sure about that. This whole explosion happened in late spring/early summer, when the weather is prime for bike riding. Let's see what happens in places like NYC and other northern tier cities when winter arrives. I'm having a hard time believing the enthusiasm will remain for the majority when the rain/snow/sleet/ice/fog/cold temperatures hit. I suspect most will put their bikes away and return to their cars. Hopefully, when spring rolls around the bikes will come back out, but you don't change basic infrastructure for fair weather riding.

I hope I'm wrong, but we shall see...

I'm not so sure about that. This whole explosion happened in late spring/early summer, when the weather is prime for bike riding. Let's see what happens in places like NYC and other northern tier cities when winter arrives. I'm having a hard time believing the enthusiasm will remain for the majority when the rain/snow/sleet/ice/fog/cold temperatures hit. I suspect most will put their bikes away and return to their cars. Hopefully, when spring rolls around the bikes will come back out, but you don't change basic infrastructure for fair weather riding.

I hope I'm wrong, but we shall see...

I totally agree that weather will effect when bikes are used. When I had motorcycles I rode them in a utility mode ( along with pleasure) when weather permitted and used a car when it was rainy. It seems to me once someone experiences the efficiency of a bike for commuting say 5-6 miles one way to work ( talking metro now) they will be totally sold, especially if a city gets behind it. On foul weather days, back to a cab, uber, subway or bus. Folk I know from NYC/Philly don't even own a car, they rent one if they plan on driving somewhere.

This year the explosion was fueled by Covid-19 as many people are avoiding public transit and are switching to bikes (all kinds, electric and regular).
Ebikes have less limitations than regular bikes but are lacking comfort of a car in bad weather or when you need to commute more than 20-30 miles one way or when your route is along some highway or busy street. As much as I like riding on a quiet bike trail, it sucks dragging along the highway in noise and fumes.

I cant wait till winter, I will ride no matter how slushy the roads get here in Palm Springs

Me too, but I'm a snow bird, migrating from Michigan to Florida and back. My hands haven't had a snow shovel in them for years, though I did see some snow briefly when returning north this past spring!

Back