Hub vs mid motor wear and tear

Ken S

I noted the maintenance on the European vacationers using the Haibikes (I assume this list of parts replaced was for two bikes).

After 11,682 km they reported:

"Parts replaced – 4 chains, 4 cassettes, 6 sets of brakes, 1 sram hub, 2 rear wheels, 1 Bosch controller, 2 bike stands, 2 sets of pedals, 2 water bottle holders, 2 Schwalbe Marathon tyres, 15 700mm tubes, 4 brake rotors, 1 rear brake system, 1 Brooks saddle, 2 Suntour seat suspension posts, 1 rear mud flap, 2 sets of gear cables, 1 helmet."

The tires and tubes and some of the other stuff are consumables so won't count them.

After more than double the distance with my Ohm XU700 I have replaced:
2 chains, 1 cassette, 3 sets of pads, 0 wheels, 0 controllers, 1 bottom bracket bearing, I rebuilt the pedals, 1 rotor, 0 cables, 0 seat posts (I did install a Body Float system but not due to wear).

The Ohm/Bionx (with regen) looks pretty good with less than 1/2 the parts replaced.

I noted the maintenance on the European vacationers using the Haibikes (I assume this list of parts replaced was for two bikes).

After 11,682 km they reported:

"Parts replaced – 4 chains, 4 cassettes, 6 sets of brakes, 1 sram hub, 2 rear wheels, 1 Bosch controller, 2 bike stands, 2 sets of pedals, 2 water bottle holders, 2 Schwalbe Marathon tyres, 15 700mm tubes, 4 brake rotors, 1 rear brake system, 1 Brooks saddle, 2 Suntour seat suspension posts, 1 rear mud flap, 2 sets of gear cables, 1 helmet."

The tires and tubes and some of the other stuff are consumables so won't count them.

After more than double the distance with my Ohm XU700 I have replaced:
2 chains, 1 cassette, 3 sets of pads, 0 wheels, 0 controllers, 1 bottom bracket bearing, I rebuilt the pedals, 1 rotor, 0 cables, 0 seat posts (I did install a Body Float system but not due to wear).

The Ohm/Bionx (with regen) looks pretty good with less than 1/2 the parts replaced.

Great stuff, Ken!
After 6000 miles, I am still using the original brake pads on my ST2!
The parts that were replaced by the E-bike tourists belonged to the older version of the Haibike trekking which had a SRAM dual drive IGH. It had some glitches but the newer versions are quite good. Also, they were hauling lot more stuff than most people.
A good E-bike is one of the best investments you can make for your health, quality of life. Enjoy. OHM and BionX make top quality stuff.

Great rundown Ken! Appreciate the writeup. Ravi, sounds like you're a hyper-miler with your brakes! I know it is quite different, but when I'm mountain biking I go through about 4-5 sets of brake pads a year and I'm doing less than 1000km on the beast. :)

I'd even suggest that a good reliable e-bike can help your pocketbook out if you're a commuter. I know of at least one fellow who broke even on his purchase after a year and a half of commuting, and was saving money for the next year and a half while still being under full warranty. Makes it so much easier.

Back