Hi from Colorado - total newbie

commuterchick

I just inherited a 2012 Easy Motion Diamond Wave 54 -- and I know nothing about it, except that it's too big for me! I'll be posting elsewhere in the forum, seeking tech specs, so we can put it in order to sell it. I want to put the $$ back into a new bike for me -- this one's too big, my friend was 5'10", and I'm 5'6", but I could really use one for my 10 mile hilly commute.

We live near Boulder, my commute is a favorite part of the day for me, but my right knee and my 3 stents think an 3-bike would be a great way to go. Our county is subsidizing discounts this month so have to make decisions. All suggestions welcome, but right now looking at some of the lighter bikes, like the Gocycle, so I don't have to buy an extra trailer too.

Thoughts?

Marcy

Hello and Welcome

Lightweight but has all the basics for a good commuter;rack, fenders, class 3. https://electricbikereview.com/trek/crossrip-plus/
Lots of dealers so it might be easier to get service. Is your commute 11 miles round trip or 22 miles round trip? The reason why I ask is an 11 mile round trip might be doable with the Gocycle, but for myself if the round trip is 22 miles I would want something more "commuter" designed. My commute is 23 miles round trip and I have found sizing and fit to be much more important than ever before. The single most important factor though is have fun. Make that commute even more enjoyable with this process. =D

Depending on which route I choose and which office I have to get to it varies from 14 to 22 roundtrip, but that's without throwing in any errands, doctor appts, etc., I don't want to be restricted. I'm just not planning on this bike for touring.

The Pedego city commuter has doubly adjustable handlebars so it’s great for different heights. My husband loves it for his 22 mile round trip commute. It has integrated lights and a high capacity battery is available.

Thanks for that input, ebikemom. Pedego is one of the approved ebike discount stores, so I'll take a look. I'm thinking Gocycle, sweet as it is, is a little too lightweight for my commute.

And hello in Littleton, jwt55!!

Marcy

I just inherited a 2012 Easy Motion Diamond Wave 54 -- and I know nothing about it, except that it's too big for me! I'll be posting elsewhere in the forum, seeking tech specs, so we can put it in order to sell it. I want to put the $$ back into a new bike for me -- this one's too big, my friend was 5'10", and I'm 5'6", but I could really use one for my 10 mile hilly commute.

We live near Boulder, my commute is a favorite part of the day for me, but my right knee and my 3 stents think an 3-bike would be a great way to go. Our county is subsidizing discounts this month so have to make decisions. All suggestions welcome, but right now looking at some of the lighter bikes, like the Gocycle, so I don't have to buy an extra trailer too.

Thoughts?

Marcy

Another good choice, The Electra Townie-Go by Trek. It's stable, comfy and has Bosch Power....

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/south-west-florida-here.24204/

https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/townie-go/townie-go-8i

Thoughts?

Marcy

I live in Lafayette and work in Boulder. I was commuting on my road bike, but often an early meeting would cause me to drive...not enough time to shower and dress.

I bought stromer st1 platinum last week and now the commute is a breeze! U still get exercise but I don't need to shower at work...and the heat isn't a deterent....

I worked with planet evbikes in longmint and got a great deal...the place in Louiville is really great too. if I hadn't bought the Stromer I'd have gone with Haibike.

good luck!!

What are the other approved stores?
Small Planet E-Bikes, 724 Main St. Unit A, Longmont; Freedom Folding Bikes, 3125 28th St., Boulder; Front Range Cargo Bikes, 2500 47th St. Unit 12, Boulder; Full Cycle at 1211 13th St. and 1795 Pearl St. in Boulder; Pedegeo at 2015 13th St. in Boulder; and the online stores of Denver-based Fatte Bikes at fattebikes.com/boulder-county-discount-program and Eagle-based QuietKat atquietkat.com/benefits2018.

I've spent a lot of time in the past week visiting different stores, checking out (or finding out I couldn't check out due to availability) different bikes. I've also discovered that the publicity on this discount is misleading -- all the county is providing is publicity, any discount comes from the local bike shops and any cuts they could negotiate with their manufacturers. So if you're selling Giant, you're offering a larger discount. You're a smaller shop with smaller manufacturers, not so much. But people are really shopping for ebikes this month!

I live in Lafayette and work in Boulder. ........
I worked with planet evbikes in longmint and got a great deal...the place in Louiville is really great too. if I hadn't bought the Stromer I'd have gone with Haibike.

good luck!!

Not familiar with Haibike, I'll look it up. Stromer too high end for me!

Hiya commuterchick! A moderate bike ride is a great way to start your day, arriving at work with blood flowing and mind alert - coffee entirely optional! Having now done a little shopping yourself, I'm sure you're aware that huge eBike tech strides have been made since 2012. Motors, batteries, integrated electronics, integral lighting, and *theft protection* have seen major improvements. And more advances are on the way - mostly from Europe - where eBike adoption is a bit further evolved as a valid automotive alternative.

My advice (fwiw): Don't conflate cost with reliability or performance. Make no mistake, you're going to pay for the features you want. But ask around, get others' feedback before laying out a lot of money. Manufacturer support matters! A good way to see if you'll really use your investments - and what features you really want/need - is to buy and ride a less expensive used bike for a season. I cut my eBike teeth over the past 2+ years on a used 2013 iZip that's been rock solid reliable. It's been fantastic in teaching me what I value in a commuter craft. I've learned that I'm willing to pay for integrated lights, integrated locks, a great pannier or trunk-bag system, and fender/mud guards. I've learned of the Class-1 vs Class-3 distinctions, both dejure and defacto. I know what gear ratios I truly need and how important really great disc brakes are with these heavier machines. I'm still seeking an aftermarket asset-tracker like the Haibike eConnect or maybe the Linka Leo.

My work/office locations all have bike rooms where I can safely store my ride. But running errands on the way home takes a big convenience hit when every stop requires 5+ minutes of locking and unlocking! I'm old enough to remember when cars didn't have integrated alarm systems and your car was never safe. Sadly, that's the "never safe" world of eBikes right now. If you peruse YouTube for any type of bike lock (cable, chain, u-lock, folding) you can witness the 90-second crack for breaking it. Thieves need only the right tool. The latest local exploits are using liquid nitrogen to simply freeze and shatter any lock. I'm hopeful there will be better solutions soon - beyond just a good insurance policy.

I made the classic consumer mistake of buying my "commuter dream bike" without enough contextual research: Manufacturer support matters! Having laid out $5500+ in Mar2018 for an R&M Nevo GT nuvinci HS, I've put only ~200miles on it. It took *forever* to arrive from Germany. It then took multiple days for my local dealer to assemble. The Nuvinci shift cables nearly immediately pulled from their mountings, leaving me stuck in high "gear" across town. (Don't believe the marketing hype: you *cannot* really shift Nuvinci under load, or without lightly pedaling.) And now it's back in the shop again for unexplained drive train grinding noises.

Only after the fact have I learned that R&M furnish little-to-nothing in way of dealer or end-user support! All parts are shipped from Germany - there's no US-based warehouse. The dealer is left on their own, woefully ill equipped to troubleshoot the complex varied components comprising their machines. Nevo looks great on the web site! It glides gloriously in an orchestrated test ride! The Nyon system (aftermarket in US) is simply amazing! But if you need *anything* more than a tire change, you'd better have a second bike. Nothing gets done quickly with R&M. My iZip is thankfully still serving faithfully in that role. Perhaps I posted it for sale prematurely.

If you're considering a Giant model, check out SloHi bikes on 29th in Denver. Adam has among the only eBike RENTAL programs I'm aware of that apply your rental cost toward purchase. And where in all of Colorado are you going to rent a full-suspension PW-X eMTB to take anywhere you want for 24-hours!?! I made lifetime memories with a Full-E+ at Buffalo Creek trail earlier this summer. What a blast! I am definitely considering this for my future eMTB options. And yes, Giant has a full stock of inventory and parts in North America. Pick the bike you want and it can be delivered in days, not months. Parts? no problem - they're already on the continent, likely in our fair city.

Keep in mind that what's "best" today may well be "obsolete" in 5-years. Obsolete doesn't mean unusable - but you can look back 5 years and clearly see features that are irrelevant today. We're seeing some really nifty kit emerge from Eurobike this week, like Haibike cleverly integrating head/tail lights and applying the cranking (120nm) TQ motor. Any who've ridden an eBike know of the "tailwind" effect. But beware also the "headwind" of many eBikes as you approach or exceed 20/28mph. There's a huge difference among different motor designs!

Good luck, happy shopping, have fun, ride safely! Hope to see you on the trails!

Hiya commuterchick! A moderate bike ride is a great way to start your day, arriving at work with blood flowing and mind alert - coffee entirely optional! Having now done a little shopping yourself, I'm sure you're aware that huge eBike tech strides have been made since 2012. Motors, batteries, integrated electronics, integral lighting, and *theft protection* have seen major improvements. And more advances are on the way - mostly from Europe - where eBike adoption is a bit further evolved as a valid automotive alternative.

My advice (fwiw): Don't conflate cost with reliability or performance. Make no mistake, you're going to pay for the features you want. But ask around, get others' feedback before laying out a lot of money. Manufacturer support matters! A good way to see if you'll really use your investments - and what features you really want/need - is to buy and ride a less expensive used bike for a season. I cut my eBike teeth over the past 2+ years on a used 2013 iZip that's been rock solid reliable. It's been fantastic in teaching me what I value in a commuter craft. I've learned that I'm willing to pay for integrated lights, integrated locks, a great pannier or trunk-bag system, and fender/mud guards. I've learned of the Class-1 vs Class-3 distinctions, both dejure and defacto. I know what gear ratios I truly need and how important really great disc brakes are with these heavier machines. I'm still seeking an aftermarket asset-tracker like the Haibike eConnect or maybe the Linka Leo.

My work/office locations all have bike rooms where I can safely store my ride. But running errands on the way home takes a big convenience hit when every stop requires 5+ minutes of locking and unlocking! I'm old enough to remember when cars didn't have integrated alarm systems and your car was never safe. Sadly, that's the "never safe" world of eBikes right now. If you peruse YouTube for any type of bike lock (cable, chain, u-lock, folding) you can witness the 90-second crack for breaking it. Thieves need only the right tool. The latest local exploits are using liquid nitrogen to simply freeze and shatter any lock. I'm hopeful there will be better solutions soon - beyond just a good insurance policy.

I made the classic consumer mistake of buying my "commuter dream bike" without enough contextual research: Manufacturer support matters! Having laid out $5500+ in Mar2018 for an R&M Nevo GT nuvinci HS, I've put only ~200miles on it. It took *forever* to arrive from Germany. It then took multiple days for my local dealer to assemble. The Nuvinci shift cables nearly immediately pulled from their mountings, leaving me stuck in high "gear" across town. (Don't believe the marketing hype: you *cannot* really shift Nuvinci under load, or without lightly pedaling.) And now it's back in the shop again for unexplained drive train grinding noises.

Only after the fact have I learned that R&M furnish little-to-nothing in way of dealer or end-user support! All parts are shipped from Germany - there's no US-based warehouse. The dealer is left on their own, woefully ill equipped to troubleshoot the complex varied components comprising their machines. Nevo looks great on the web site! It glides gloriously in an orchestrated test ride! The Nyon system (aftermarket in US) is simply amazing! But if you need *anything* more than a tire change, you'd better have a second bike. Nothing gets done quickly with R&M. My iZip is thankfully still serving faithfully in that role. Perhaps I posted it for sale prematurely.

If you're considering a Giant model, check out SloHi bikes on 29th in Denver. Adam has among the only eBike RENTAL programs I'm aware of that apply your rental cost toward purchase. And where in all of Colorado are you going to rent a full-suspension PW-X eMTB to take anywhere you want for 24-hours!?! I made lifetime memories with a Full-E+ at Buffalo Creek trail earlier this summer. What a blast! I am definitely considering this for my future eMTB options. And yes, Giant has a full stock of inventory and parts in North America. Pick the bike you want and it can be delivered in days, not months. Parts? no problem - they're already on the continent, likely in our fair city.

Keep in mind that what's "best" today may well be "obsolete" in 5-years. Obsolete doesn't mean unusable - but you can look back 5 years and clearly see features that are irrelevant today. We're seeing some really nifty kit emerge from Eurobike this week, like Haibike cleverly integrating head/tail lights and applying the cranking (120nm) TQ motor. Any who've ridden an eBike know of the "tailwind" effect. But beware also the "headwind" of many eBikes as you approach or exceed 20/28mph. There's a huge difference among different motor designs!

Good luck, happy shopping, have fun, ride safely! Hope to see you on the trails!

Very well said.
I ride the Giant Quick E + and this is my third week commuting. It has done very well for me so far and I have 4 LBS within 30 minutes drive that carry Giant products. A couple are within biking distance. It is very nice having that kind of support.

Last edited:
Hello from Maryland . . .

I own two Sondors ebikes, an original fat model and a thin. As a senior citizen, they have helped me get back into biking. Now, I'm getting ready to donate my non-electric bicycles. I was looking to buy a Rad ebike especially since they have a lower center bar; however, I'm concerned about the motor in their bikes which is rated at 750 watts. For an ebike to be considered as a bicycle and not subject to licensing and insurance requirements in Maryland, the State defines electric bikes as a bicycle with fully operational pedals, a motor of not more than 500 watts and a maximum speed of 20 mph on flat surfaces. Both of my Sondors ebikes have a 350 watt motor. I'm wondering what to do if I buy another ebike here in Maryland with a 750 watt motor. Do I really have to license it and buy insurance to use it on the roads?

Back