Hi from Cape Town, South Africa

yellowzebra

Region
Africa
Hi, Chris here, CT, SA; I ride a converted 26er MTB, with a Bafang 500w motor, 500w battery, fitted kit 6 or so years back, never given a day’s problem OTHER than the actual wall-charging unit failed, and replaced it with another one.

Have both road wheels (occasional commuting) as well as MTB wheels.

Have previously ‘slung’ the battery UNDER the down-tube for commuting, but for light off-road work, it sits better ABOVE the down-tube, and JUST fits in.

newer eBikes are above my budget, so at 50 pounds/23kg, this does just fine.

about to get the wheels relaced with heavier-duty spokes, straight-pull, any and all advice welcomed!
Cheers!
Chris, CT.

Last edited:
Pics…

Attachments

• 1E3C7AEC-A40A-4B16-8947-E96EDEE24278.jpeg
    1E3C7AEC-A40A-4B16-8947-E96EDEE24278.jpeg
    946 KB · Views: 159
  • 9271FADD-691C-44C8-88D9-F73D52FE34D6.jpeg
    9271FADD-691C-44C8-88D9-F73D52FE34D6.jpeg
    853.4 KB · Views: 165
Ask @m@Robertson about the DT Swiss spokes he likes on some of his builds. In six years you have gone through something like 9 cassettes and 12 chains, correct? Welcome to EBR. I am a builder in Northern California.

Well, I don't do straight-pull spokes. For 26" rims, I've got two go-to's. The budget alternative is the SunRingle MTX39. About $70-$90 depending on what the seller wants on any given day. These rims go from being totally unobtainable to widely available. Depends on when the shipping containers arrive I guess. $63 for 32H and $76 for 36H right now on Amazon.

Next up for rims are the DT Swiss FR560. They are as-indestructible as the MTX39, but maybe half the weight. About $40 more per rim. I used them on these wheels (picture below) last Spring, and I have another waiting for my Bullitt that I'm trying to build if the frame ever gets here (both times, I couldn't get MTX39's).

At the core of all my wheels are DT 350 Classic hubs. Mostly due to the ratchet engagement of the rear hub, which will survive all abuse from a 1500w BBSHD. The Hybrid version if I can get it. If not I upgrade the rear cassette body to steel.

That leaves the spokes. I've done a variety. DT Champs are relatively (relatively!) inexpensive and just about every quality LBS in the USA has various lengths in the shop in a drawer somewhere. I've also done DT Alpines - on my Envoy cargo bike, which also had MTX39's. Costwise those are prohibitive. For the 26" wheelsets on the Apostate pictured below, and the upcoming Bullitt, I have used Sapim Strongs and they are every bit as good if not better than a DT Swiss option. NOT the E-Strong which needs a special reducing nipple to fit into a standard rim.

For one of my front Bullitt wheels, I used 12g Sapim Leaders. That was an experiment and a mistake. Too much of a good thing. Horrifying to build but its the rare wheel thats so strong it *probably* overcomes its inability to flex. For the other I used Sapim Strongs.

For nipples I always choose brass, and longer if possible.

I get my spokes at Stoic Wheels. Google that for his site. He had spokes in stock throughout the pandemic which was pretty much a miracle as I tried a LOT of formerly good sources before I struck out and then found him.

pxl_20220420_154304304-1[1].jpg

He is one of our resident experts. I am glad he jumped in. Happy New Year. I had the most fun yesterday at of all things a 4 year old's birthday party: 60 people of all ages, overlooking the water with plenty of small craft, live music, nice people and good food and wine. Plus bikes.

At the core of all my wheels are DT 350 Classic hubs. Mostly due to the ratchet engagement of the rear hub, which will survive all abuse from a 1500w BBSHD. The Hybrid version if I can get it. If not I upgrade the rear cassette body to steel.

For nipples I always choose brass, and longer if possible.

I get my spokes at Stoic Wheels. Google that for his site. He had spokes in stock throughout the pandemic which was pretty much a miracle as I tried a LOT of formerly good sources before I struck out and then found him.
its a good hub till you use the wrong grease on the ratchet. we had this odd skipping at certain power levels we manged and only on two gears. I finally found I used the wrong grease to relube the ratchet. it ended up wearing out the 13t cog prematurely. well lesson learned on that. Stoic wheels is a good place I had him build all our wheels during the pandemic. likes like a 25 mile round trip to his shop.

its a good hub till you use the wrong grease on the ratchet. we had this odd skipping at certain power levels we manged and only on two gears. I finally found I used the wrong grease to relube the ratchet. it ended up wearing out the 13t cog prematurely. well lesson learned on that.
Thats good to know. Usually I use the pink stuff I'm supposed to. I have a couple of little tubs of it as one comes with each ratchet upgrade kit. So a lifetime supply across all of my hubs since you don't need a lot. I think for at least a couple of them I am using Mobil 28, which is a little thicker than the pink DT Swiss grease. I'd better check. I think the Bullitt has that in it and I depend on that one daily.

Thats good to know. Usually I use the pink stuff I'm supposed to. I have a couple of little tubs of it as one comes with each ratchet upgrade kit. So a lifetime supply across all of my hubs since you don't need a lot. I think for at least a couple of them I am using Mobil 28, which is a little thicker than the pink DT Swiss grease. I'd better check. I think the Bullitt has that in it and I depend on that one daily.
The dt swiss lube is really dry not sticky thats the problem sticky. I used regular grease. I did on both my bikes but the skipping only happened all the time on the tandem till I regressed it tight.

Hi, Chris here,
about to get the wheels relaced with heavier-duty spokes, straight-pull, any and all advice welcomed!
I find DT swiss 2 mm spokes are not heavier than the others, but are better alloy. I haven't had any trouble with them. Never adjust them. Out in Africa you may have trouble with counterfeiting. The electronics repairmen certainly get a lot of ****ese **** substituted for real parts at the border. Great markings & packaging, **** for innards.

ZA! Cape Town and Kirstenbosch remain an incredible memory. I spent a month there. I knew nothing about eBikes then. 21 hours of flight time from Lost Wages was a grueling experience but what an incredible place. Please do share and post more ride photos! Kirstenbosch has one of the planets rarest cycads. In 1999 there was an African sculpture display across the gardens. I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a piece and ship it home. Sorry for going off topic, but CT ZA remains at the top of my must st memorable life experiences. A month wasn’t enough.

Back