Help with strategizing timing and choice(s) of commuter eBike--REI Co-op CTY e2.2 vs Specialized Turbo Vados

Kalyx

Region
USA
Hello everyone,

I'm thrilled to be able to get an eBike for commuting for the first time soon, and I'm very lucky to have an opportunity for some good prices on possible bikes. However, I have a few needs that are a little complicated and are compounded by timing for the release of new models, and I would love some input on how best to approach this!

My commute is:
-24 - 40 miles generally roundtrip (with ability to charge at work)
-VERY hilly
-often raining

I am debating among:
-Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0
-Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH
-REI Co-op CTY e2.2 (new Class 3 version with updated Bosch motor)

Personal factors:
-I am tall and have long legs and am a size XL with Specialized
-I'm an experienced bike commuter on a heavy steel bike and very fit, but I'm getting an eBike to give my legs a break and reduce risk of overtraining as I play a lot of sports and do strength-training, etc. (my bike-commuting days are often on my "rest/active recovery" days)
-I've been renting a Vanmoof S3 for bike-commuting, and while it's a flawed bike, I've been loving having an eBike! Oh God why didn't I look into this years ago!!

Here's the puzzle:
-I will be trying out the REI Co-op CTY e2.2 next week in a Large model. They only had it in Medium for me to try last week, and while I was overall impressed with the bike, of course it's no fun to be so scrunched up when test-riding!!
+ If I got the Large model, I'd have 365 days to return it
-I have also tried a Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0. It was great, and:
+I currently have the chance to buy one for a steal of a price
+I'd have 30 days to return it
-There are no Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH's for me to try out or available online my size right now, BUT:
+Whenever the new models are released, I'd have the chance to buy one at the upper limit of my budget
+While I haven't gotten to test-ride the bike, the idea of a belt drive with lower maintenance--especially given how much rain I bike in!--is very appealing

My brain is telling me to go with the REI Co-op CTY e2.2 for now and then return it once the Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH becomes available, thanks to that ability to return it within 365 days. However, the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 is available to me at a steal of a price... if my heart ultimately pulled me towards that one as my eBike for commuting RIGHT NOW (let's say I found that it handled significantly better than the REI one), would I regret not holding out for the Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH, especially if it might be released within the next few months? By that point, I'd be beyond the return window for the Turbo Vado 4.0. Of course, I could SELL the Turbo Vado 4.0 in the future, but I worry a bit about resale possibility given the XL size.

Gosh, if you've made it this far, THANK YOU! I'm sorry for the brain dump! I appreciate any insights or input you might have. :)

Hello everyone,

I'm thrilled to be able to get an eBike for commuting for the first time soon, and I'm very lucky to have an opportunity for some good prices on possible bikes. However, I have a few needs that are a little complicated and are compounded by timing for the release of new models, and I would love some input on how best to approach this!

My commute is:
-VERY hilly
-often raining

I am debating among:

Personal factors:
-I'm an experienced bike commuter on a heavy steel bike and very fit, but I'm getting an eBike to give my legs a break and reduce risk of overtraining as I play a lot of sports and do strength-training, etc. (my bike-commuting days are often on my "rest/active recovery" days)
-I've been renting a Vanmoof S3 for bike-commuting, and while it's a flawed bike, I've been loving having an eBike! Oh God why didn't I look into this years ago!!

Here's the puzzle:
-I will be trying out the REI Co-op CTY e2.2 next week in a Large model. They only had it in Medium for me to try last week, and while I was overall impressed with the bike, of course it's no fun to be so scrunched up when test-riding!!
-There are no Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH's for me to try out or available online my size right now, BUT:
+Whenever the new models are released, I'd have the chance to buy one at the upper limit of my budget
+While I haven't gotten to test-ride the bike, the idea of a belt drive with lower maintenance--especially given how much rain I bike in!--is very appealing

My brain is telling me to go with the REI Co-op CTY e2.2 for now and then return it once the Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH becomes available, thanks to that ability to return it within 365 days. However, the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 is available to me at a steal of a price... if my heart ultimately pulled me towards that one as my eBike for commuting RIGHT NOW (let's say I found that it handled significantly better than the REI one), would I regret not holding out for the Turbo Vado 5.0 IGH, especially if it might be released within the next few months? By that point, I'd be beyond the return window for the Turbo Vado 4.0. Of course, I could SELL the Turbo Vado 4.0 in the future, but I worry a bit about resale possibility given the XL size.

Gosh, if you've made it this far, THANK YOU! I'm sorry for the brain dump! I appreciate any insights or input you might have. :)
Welcome aboard! Can't help with your timing, but make sure you understand the terms of the Specialized return policy. Get it in writing if you can.

Recently bought a new Vado SL 5.0 EQ from a Specialized-only LBS. Love the bike but wasn't at all sure at the time that I was strong enough a rider for such a low-power bike in my very hilly area given my finicky knees. A 10-minute parking lot test ride on an SL 4.0 didn't address this concern.

Long story short, the 30-day return for full refund I was told about repeatedly prior to ordering turned out to be a total fiction. The best trial I could get to address my valid concern was a 5-mile test on a hill near the shop. Any use beyond that would replace the refund option with a store credit of no use to me.

Fortunately, the hill test was promising, I took a chance, and the SL's worked out beautifully. But I'll never go to that LBS again.

Last edited:
However, the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 is available to me at a steal of a price...
From my experience, Vado 4.0 has always been the best bang for the buck. If you can buy it at a bargain price, go for it instantly! (The REI e-bike is not in the same class of sophistication).

Can't help with your timing, but make sure you understand the terms of the Specialized return policy.
Jeremy is right. Don't think you can ride it then return. Are you sure you understand the REI return policy, too? (For me, a possibility of using an e-bike for a year then returning it sounds absurdly).

Hello everyone,

My commute is:
-VERY hilly
-often raining

I am debating among:

Personal factors:

Here's the puzzle:

Did you try a on line order, they are showing available in my area.. I have a 5.0 iGH, best bike I’ve ever been on, I tried the CTY at REI in 2022, no comparison to the others, seemed cramped and underpowered,

Agreed on getting it in writing. I actually returned two Spec bikes. One was a PITA with a stocking fee charged, the other was smooth as can be - they even said, “we really don’t want to sell you a bike that doesn’t work for you.” Full credit back on the second one. The first bike actually has numerous problems while the second one did not.

Both bikes were re-sold the next day. The way their policy is clearly stated it is a 100% satisfaction guaranteed return. Whether or not the store honors their own policy is another story. Oh and should clarify that the second bike was from a non-Spec dealer. I’ve been back for lots of stuff since, and recommended them to many friends.

Edit: Only skimmed the OP on mobile. Would absolutely only return an item that truly doesn't work for you, not as a way to recoup your money for a new purchase.

Last edited:
Did you try a on line order, they are showing available in my area.. I have a 5.0 iGH, best bike I’ve ever been on, I tried the CTY at REI in 2022, no comparison to the others, seemed cramped and underpowered,
Was that Bosch out of curiosity? They’ve made some interesting bikes of late.

The Automatiq on the 5.0 IGH makes the bike less reliable. It just doesn't seem to be a perfect pairing with the Brose motor, as amazing as it is when it works.
Belt drive similarly can be great, but your options for repair shops dwindle compared to a chain-driven bike. Little less gearing too.

What's the Vado 4.0 price? Many people see that bike as the sweet spot in the lineup. If you rode the 5.0, love it, and are willing to deal with a hiccup here or there that's a great option.

Agreed on getting it in writing. I actually returned two Spec bikes. One was a PITA with a stocking fee charged, the other was smooth as can be - they even said, “we really don’t want to sell you a bike that doesn’t work for you.” Full credit back on the second one. The first bike actually has numerous problems while the second one did not.

Both bikes were re-sold the next day. The way their policy is clearly stated it is a 100% satisfaction guaranteed return. Whether or not the store honors their own policy is another story. Oh and should clarify that the second bike was from a non-Spec dealer. I’ve been back for lots of stuff since, and recommended them to many friends.

Edit: Only skimmed the OP on mobile. Would absolutely only return an item that truly doesn't work for you, not as a way to recoup your money for a new purchase.

Both return policies are very favorable! To be clear, I wouldn't be merely using the REI bike as a placeholder; rather, there's a fair chance that it could actually be the best-fitting bike! But I don't have the ability to test it out against all of the Specialized models. If I ended up really liking it but a different bike became available that was a better fit in all ways (e.g. the Vado 5.0 IGH in my size), I wouldn't feel too bad about returning the REI bike (maybe I would've years ago, but I've been a lifetime REI customer, and they've gotten plenty from me over the years and I'll keep coming back to them for purchases!). The REI bike does not have quite the same size accommodation, and sometimes that might not be apparent until you've done more than a test-ride anyhow (#TallPersonProblems!).

Welcome aboard! Can't help with your timing, but make sure you understand the terms of the Specialized return policy. Get it in writing if you can.

Recently bought a new Vado SL 5.0 EQ from a Specialized-only LBS. Love the bike but wasn't at all sure at the time that I was strong enough a rider for such a low-power bike in my very hilly area given my finicky knees. A 10-minute parking lot test ride on an SL 4.0 didn't address this concern.

Long story short, the 30-day return for full refund I was told about repeatedly prior to ordering turned out to be a total fiction. The best trial I could get to address my valid concern was a 5-mile test on a hill near the shop. Any use beyond that would replace the refund option with a store credit of no use to me.

Fortunately, the hill test was promising, I took a chance, and the SL's worked out beautifully. But I'll never go to that LBS again.
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with the bike stores! Specialized has a clear policy about returning lightly used bikes--as long as they're undamaged and you've retained all original materials--within 30 days. However, from a different user here, it sounds like there is the potential for a restocking fee based on their review of the return and any wear, etc.

Unfortunately I prefer the non-step-through version, and it's out-of-stock online and in my area in my size. :( I hear you about the CTY. I will say this new version has a LOT of upgrades that I think will make it very intriguing, and I was really pleasantly surprised test-riding it, even on a size that was way too small for me! https://www.rei.com/product/198760/co-op-cycles-cty-e22-electric-bike.

However, I worry that even with their Large size, it'll feel cramped as you mentioned. I'm grateful that REI allows a test-ride of the bike you order before the charge goes through on the credit card; that way, if you immediately don't like it, you can cancel your order and then they switch to selling it on the floor.

Last edited:
Specialized has a clear policy about returning lightly used bikes--as long as they're undamaged and you've retained all original materials--within 30 days.
So I'd been told repeatedly by another LBS employee, but when it came time to pick up the bike, the store manager said he couldn't honor it. That's the part to confirm.

Back