Hello from New World

New World

Hi, we are on our 3rd tandem bicycle and it is our first ebike, a Gepida Rodanus 1000. We love it!
Our first tandem was a Kuwahara we bought 25 years ago. We put a lot of miles on it and my wife especially liked how a tandem frees her from shifting, braking and turning. All she does is pedal, take pictures, talk to me, talk to friends, view the scenery, feed us both, etc. I would sometimes wonder (and very rarely actually ask) if she was focused on pedaling as much as on the other tasks. The bike was great, but could certainly use better brakes since two people are depending on the stopping power of rim calipers.
About 15 years ago we sold the Kuwahara and bought a Cannondale. It was a big step up in terms of technology and quality of components. The big-diameter aluminum frame is a beautiful thing. We did trips to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Monterey, several rails-to-trails rides such as the Route of the Hiawatha and any we could find in our local area of Western Oregon. Also a great bike, with many fond memories. I still sometimes wondered if my stoker was fully involved or merely an observer. This bike also could use better brakes - we put a big disk on the back to replace the back caliper and only had trouble one time. We were riding down to the ferry dock on Vashon Island after a great day of touring the island. It was a steep downhill and we were doing about 40 mph. I applied the brakes and had slowed to about 30 when a pedestrian decided to cross the road a short way ahead of us. I gave the brakes all the pressure I dared, felt them heat up and fade, missed the pedestrian, missed the cars that were lining up for the ferry and came to a halt a hundred yards from the ferry on-ramp. The disk was severely overheated and oxidized, so we changed it to a bigger size.
This year we bought a Gepida Rodanus tandem with the Bosch Active Line mid-drive. Wow - what a bike! The electric boost can be set on economy mode, where it adds 40% to what we are doing, giving a range of about 90 miles. On the one hand, it is so unobtrusive we can't even feel that it is working; but on the other hand everything seems easier and faster. We reach the top of a hill quicker, and I'm still able to talk. I no longer wonder if my partner is really exerting herself, because a smidge of boost can compensate for either of us who might be slacking! If a really steep hill comes along, the boost can be toggled to a higher mode, giving assist up to 225% of what we are doing. We used it extensively on a 45 mile trip between Baker City and Union, Oregon - the steep hills were easier to climb and we very comfortably hit 45 mph on the downhills. The battery and drive motor give the bike a low center of gravity that gives a rock-solid feel at high speed. The two big hydraulic disk brakes have seemingly limitless stopping power. This bike is absolutely phenomenal in every way. I'm a fan of every aspect of it. The Bosch drive works so well moving two people on a tandem that I have to wonder how it does on a single bike powering just one person around!
Are there any electric tandems out there other than the Gepida Rodanus?

Great tandem tales! I hope I can get some more time on a tandem with my soon to be wife. We had a Pedego tandem for a while and that was cool. I couldn't really see myself doing any real distance with that though. I'm really looking forward to the Moustache Samedi 27x2.

Maybe if I get a demo I can get out on some trips. There's really nothing like riding a tandem and e-assist just adds to the experience.

Keep the stories coming and hopefully you can share some pics of your bike and your adventures :)

Great tandem tales! I hope I can get some more time on a tandem with my soon to be wife. We had a Pedego tandem for a while and that was cool. I couldn't really see myself doing any real distance with that though. I'm really looking forward to the Moustache Samedi 27x2.

Maybe if I get a demo I can get out on some trips. There's really nothing like riding a tandem and e-assist just adds to the experience.

Keep the stories coming and hopefully you can share some pics of your bike and your adventures :)

Thank you, Chris - it's nice to hear about your tandem rides too. I'll post some pictures of our ride from Baker City, OR to Union, OR when I get home tonight.

James

Definitely, @New World! pictures :) and thanks for sharing the adventures. Haven't ridden an e-tandem but lots of good memories riding an old Peugeot tandem around the Texas hill country.

Thank you, Ann - I've been to Austin and had a great time. Is that area considered Texas hill country?

We bought the e-tandem because we had planned the ride from Baker City to Union months ahead of time with a couple whom we always have a hard time keeping up with. My stoker injured her knee snow skiing when the ride was just 3 months away. I knew we were really in trouble at this point, so tried every way I could to electrify the Cannondale. With the fork and frame drop-outs a different width from a single bike, I couldn't get a hub motor to fit. With the drive sprocket on the left rather than the right, I couldn't figure out how to make a mid-drive fit either. When I found the Gepida tandem we bought it and had it shipped to Oregon and it has been even better than we imagined. We kept up with our friends, had a great time, and had enough battery power to do the 46 miles including some serious elevation gain, and were just using the last of the 400 watt-hour battery as we pulled into Union.

I tried uploading some pictures of the ride, but must not be doing it right. They are .jpg files of about 1.5 MB. Do I need to make them smaller? Is there a different utility than the "Upload a File" button?

Thanks!

James

Thank you, Ann - I've been to Austin and had a great time. Is that area considered Texas hill country?

We bought the e-tandem because we had planned the ride from Baker City to Union months ahead of time with a couple whom we always have a hard time keeping up with. My stoker injured her knee snow skiing when the ride was just 3 months away. I knew we were really in trouble at this point, so tried every way I could to electrify the Cannondale. With the fork and frame drop-outs a different width from a single bike, I couldn't get a hub motor to fit. With the drive sprocket on the left rather than the right, I couldn't figure out how to make a mid-drive fit either. When I found the Gepida tandem we bought it and had it shipped to Oregon and it has been even better than we imagined. We kept up with our friends, had a great time, and had enough battery power to do the 46 miles including some serious elevation gain, and were just using the last of the 400 watt-hour battery as we pulled into Union.

I tried uploading some pictures of the ride, but must not be doing it right. They are .jpg files of about 1.5 MB. Do I need to make them smaller? Is there a different utility than the "Upload a File" button?

Thanks!

James

I know what you're talking about. We were trying to electrify that tandem for a customer and ultimately he ended up getting an Xtracycle. I wish the Moustache was available when we started looking. That Cannondale has quite a bit of propeiatary parts on it.

Sounds like you ended up with the right ride though :)

Regarding the pic upload, it should be through the upload file utility. Or you can use another website to host the image, click the photo icon up top and add the link to the image.

Here we are coming over the pass on Hwy 237 between Baker City and Union, Oregon. The weight of the bike, riders and all our gear was about 450 lbs!

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

We had a nice breakfast at the Geyser Grand Hotel before we left Baker City. I was feeling poetic so tried my hand at some cowboy poetry:

Our trusty steed awaits
while we eat oatmeal brulee
It by the curbside
Us in the Cafe

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

More pictures later...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for asking about our bicycle. The only high-quality electric tandem we could find at the time was the Gepida Rodanus. It has the Bosch mid-drive, hydraulic disk brakes, 27 speeds, lights that are powered by the main battery, fenders, and a strong rack for our gear.

We were interested enough to take the plunge and order it from a dealer in England. By the time we paid retail for the bike, plus the cost of shipping and customs to get it delivered to Oregon, it came to $5000. However, we absolutely love it and can hardly believe how great it is to ride. So, for us it has been completely worth the expense. No more (frequent) suspicions or (occasional) accusations regarding who might be slacking a bit in their peddling effort. No more watching our very athletic friends stretch out half-mile leads on us when we're going up a long hill. With the drive motor and the battery mounted low on the frame, it feels unbelievably stable going downhill at 45 mph. In that regard it reminds me of my BMW GS motorcycle.

The bike has impressed us so much that we contacted the manufacturer and requested to represent them in the USA. We have recently received four of the tandems and are selling them at $3550 each. That's a good deal compared to what we paid. We have 40 additional bikes, mountain, trekking and city. They are gorgeous - the quality is outstanding. They are located in Gresham, Oregon.

We have a lot to learn about setting up a bicycle company. We are setting up our website and it is still a little rough. Quite a bit of work is left, such as posting prices and inventory. It is at www.newworldebikes.com which redirects to www.nwebikes.com. We know very little about marketing. We plan to sell to independent bike dealers at a discount from retail prices. We also plan to sell retail. We have to figure out how to find customers, and don't know the best way to do that. We are certainly open to advice from anyone on how to proceed.

I do not know the rules regarding how much I can say on this forum. I respect this forum and the people on it enormously and do not want to offend anyone or break the rules, so I'm going to stop my narrative at this point and go look for the rules. I apologize if I've been too commercial and don't yet know it!

Thanks again,

James

Congratulations, James! Sounds like you've found your niche. It is a challenging one; been in the ebike biz for 16 years and there's always more to learn. Spend some regular time doing your online media with a decent Facebook page, perhaps tweets or an image based site. Make sure to build some sort of reward system for your newly acquired customers to encourage them to come back. The rough rule of thumb is that 80% of your sales will come from 20% of your customers, in other words through service or rentals or accessories, etc.

Network with other bike shops and participate in the local or regional bike community with shows, rides, and advocacy opportunities. That gets your name out and builds your shop's reputation. And you meet lots of cool, like minded people.

Ann, that's great advice - thank you for offering it. I plan to follow it, which will be a lot of work! But, as you say, it is a great community and will be a lot of fun.

When I see how advanced the ebikes are now and how quickly they are changing it makes me wonder what the bikes you saw 16 years ago looked like. Were most of them kits or home-modified, or were there manufacturers at that time? Thanks again for your help.

Thanks James. I sent a reply to your New World email!
Steve,

You've done a great job of identifying another thing we need to do. That is, I don't know how to access emails that are sent to our website! This seems like a rather large oversight on my part. I have sent an email request to our IT company, asking them how I do this. Please stand by, or I believe you can PM me from these forums. Thanks, James.

Back