Hello from Madison, WI

Hello Everybody,

My friend, the eBike enthusiast/evangelist, organized a group eBike ride for a charity auction. The hour I spent on his iZip Moda convinced me that, yes, if I bought one of these expensive toys, I really would commute to work on it.

A few weeks later, I bought an iZip Dash. Soon after, I christened it "Wrist Rocket" because it flies like a rocket and it hurts my wrists.

After about 100 painful miles on the iZip, I took it back to the shop and traded it (and some extra $$$) for an E-Lux Malibu. THIS one is more like it! I call it "The Tank" because it weighs about half a ton. It has big fat tires, suspension fork, suspension seat post, laid-back riding posture, and a 14 amp-hour battery to fuel its 500-watt hub motor. I have been commuting to work on it whenever I can since the middle of August, plus a couple of recreational rides, and have clocked over 360 miles already. I did a 30-mile ride on a flattish rail trail on assist level 3 (out of 5), averaging about 15 mph, and got home without dipping into the last 20 percent of the battery. My round trip to work is only 12 miles, so I can blast back and forth at 20 mph with plenty of juice to spare.

What I like: It's very comfortable. It's fast! Although only a Class 1 (nominally 20mph assist) it goes 22 or 23 on the flats without any help from me, and downhill with a head of steam I've seen it reach closer to 30. It's very stable and predictable at that speed. The brakes are awesome. The throttle is a great way to launch quickly from a stoplight in traffic. I can plug my iPhone into the USB port to stay charged up while running my GPS app.

What I don't like so much: I preferred the mid drive on my Wrist Rocket, because on a steep climb you can gear down and rev up the motor. The simple cadence-sensing controller is rather surge-y; the motor is either on or off, and when it's on, it has a speed it wants to go at. These are minor quibbles; my daily commute doesn't have any *really* steep hills, and when I'm riding solo I'm happy to go as fast as the motor wants to. Still, someday, I may want to trade up to something with a torque-sensing controller.

For daily commuting, this bike is a game changer. I finally found a way to get to work that I like better than driving. I'm outside in the fresh air, working my muscles (a little), no noise, no fumes, just a few cents worth of electricity. Good for my body, good for my soul, good for the planet. What's not to like?

Philip

Welcome to the site.
Electric commuting is so much more efficient, if you use the bike enough to justify the investment. Welcome to the light side.
Torque sensing is a powerful sales tool for mid drives. If you don't intend to pedal the bike yourself, and keep ahead of the chain maintenance, mid drives have a lot to offer. I pedal about 2/3 of the distance myself, and use a geared hub motor that doesn't drag unpowered. I like PAS at fixed speeds so much, I took off that controller and use one that only has a throttle input.

Gets kinda rough ebike commuting in Madison in January and February doesn't it? Welcome

Back