Hello from Los Angeles California

Katysax

Just joined this forum Recently bought a Ride Scoozy Veego Semi-Fat. It's not my first ebike. I am about to embark on a two week RV trip and wanted an ebike to put on the back. Over the last two years I've been dealing with cancer treatment that just finished three months ago. My strength is finally returning but I am out of shape. We like to take our bikes when we go in the RV and explore the local area. I just didn't feel that I had the stamina to go very far on my push bike.

First about the Veego. I wanted a bike with small 20 inch wheels and a low step. I'm only 5'3.5 inches and I am 67, at this point I don't want to have to step over a high frame. My previous ebike was an early Exterra which l both loved and hated and was a big 70 lb truck. I was attracted to the 3 inch tires as offering the benefits of 4 inch tires without quite at much drag. And I was also attracted to the price. However, I've owned many bicycles in my life and many of them have been pretty expensive; I did not want a bicycle shaped object. There isn't much info about Ride Scoozy on the web so I felt I was taking a bit of a risk.

To my surprise the bike is fantastic. It arrived very well-packed and all it needed was to be unfolded and have the pedals mounted. In less than a half hour the bike was ready to ride. The brake adjustment was perfect as was the derailleur adjustment. Both of those were amazing. It's very hard to get a bike from a local bike shop with the brakes and derailleurs adjusted right without a fair amount of back and forth discussion so I was pleasantly surprised. I've had the Veego four days. The first three days I rode around the neighborhood for short 5 mile rides to test out the bike. I even took a couple of fairly steep local hills to see how the climb went (fine). Yesterday I took the bike on a 10 mile errand to pick up a prescription. Keep in mind that I have not been on any bike since my cancer diagnosis in 2017. I've been through surgery and chemotherapy, did not exercise more than walking, for a year and a half, and I was able to go 5 miles on the bike on the first day riding mostly on the lowest level of pedal assist. Its the bike, not me.

I was once a serious club rider, and rode club rides regularly over about a 20 year period. I regularly rode 100-200 miles in a day on weekends. At one point due to injury and burnout I quit riding for a while and in 2007 I got the Exterra which I used daily on a 25 mile round trip commute. Unfortunately the Exterra was a nightmare. The motor and controller failed multiple times and I ended up pedaling home on a 70 lb bike. The people who imported and designed the bike were located a 10 mile drive from my house and I started spending time with them. My bike because a test bike and we tried a wide range of brakes, motors, controllers on it. It was fun and I put a few thousand miles on the bike but started doing more and more riding on a push bike for my commute because the ebike was so horribly unreliable. Riding the ebike actually got me in great shape for riding a push bike. For a while I also had a used Currie foldable that was awful. Over time I decided that the ebike was good as a tool to get in shape but an old fashioned push bike was more practical. About 2 years ago right before my diagnosis I had a custom ebike built on a low step frame. It had a mid drive motor. For a number of reasons I never rode it much and ended up selling it.

So here I am, recovering from Cancer treatment. So far I'd say the Veego is light years better than the Exterra I had 12 years ago. It is surprisingly nimble. Believe it or not the Exterra was already suffering electrical failures when it had 20 miles on it.

I do have some nits with the Veego. The Shimano derailleur is cheap. The computer turns off after stopping for a while and resets the trip distance.
The pedals are cheap junk and I've already replaced them with some Crank Bros platform pedals. The gearing is pretty inadequate. I am spinning out on assistance level 3 out of 5 going up moderate hill

At some point I'd probably like a bike with some real range and more of a road bike configuration with maybe a mid drive. However, for the moment I am very happy to have the Veego. I've also ridden a lot of recumbents but hate how badly they climb and how hard they are to transport. I might electrify a recumbent. I like the looks and descriptions of the Specialized Vado and Como lines. Mostly I'd like to see how I feel after riding the Veego a few months.

Welcome, and I am so glad that you are on a bike again. I’m also a woman in her 60s who also lives in the LA area, and who has returned to riding. I’ve found e-biking to be a joyful experience.
It’s hilly here, and an acoustic bike would really limit my range. I have disc disease and scoliosis, and my ability to stand and walk is limited, but I found that I can ride 20 miles at a time.
I wish more people knew about e bikes.

I'm sending you lots of good thoughts from San Diego. I'm also coming back from some really brutal cancer treatment. Just bought my first E-Bike yesterday.
Hope you have a lot of safe and fun rides!
I thought a little about a recumbent too, but always concerned about being seen.
wishing you the best,
Mike

I'm sending you lots of good thoughts from San Diego. I'm also coming back from some really brutal cancer treatment. Just bought my first E-Bike yesterday.
I thought a little about a recumbent too, but always concerned about being seen.
wishing you the best,
Mike

You're going to love riding Mike. After my transplant, I couldn't wait to be given the OK to cycle again. Cycling certainly reduced my recovery period. Consultant said "He was going to promote the benifits of cycling, as part of post transplant healing"
Enjoy ride, ride and ride some more.

wishing you the best,
Mike
Enjoy your bike, and your riding. For me, there’s something about being outdoors that just can’t be matched in a gym. And San Diego has the perfect climate for year round riding. Even here in the Inland Emoire, we’ve been very lucky with our riding weather so far. I’m sure 105 degree days will be here, soon.?

Thanks for the update. Your bike looks like a good choice. Up here in Canada we have a limited choice on budget bikes and our Bolivars are looking dim. I'm ready to trade some right now for an ebike, but the more I read up, the more I hesistate! :)

I’ve got about 150 miles on the Veego now. I’m having a lot of fun with it but starting to see what makes it relatively inexpensive. I don’t really care about folding it, but I’ve discovered that the ability to fold it comes in handy, especially just folding down the handlebars. I also like that the fit is highly configurable. Dialing in a very comfortable fit was easy. The cheapest things I’ve noticed are the seat and the wheels. The poly carbonate wheels are kind of chintzy. They don’t grip the tire bead well when air is low which I discovered putting slime in the tubes. The bike developed some squeaks but I’ve gotten them out with some adjustments. The derailleur is super cheap and I’ve had to fiddle with it a bit. What’s most surprising is just how comfortable I am on the bike. I spent a few years riding only recumbents and crank forward bikes. This bike has me reconsidering more traditional bikes.

wishing you the best,
Mike
I bought a new ebike 2 weeks ago! What did you end up buying? Where have you taken it?

Back