Hello, E-bikers!

Hekkubus

Region
USA
Hello all! I have recently become part of the e-bike community this January. I live in Alabama, (USA). We have very mild weather most of the year and downright hot hot hot weather in the summers, so I bought a Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ to commute the measly 1.7 miles (approximately 2.7 km) to teach at the high school where I have worked for 19 years.

So far commuting has been great! I find myself being excited to bike home at the end of the day. As for the bike...I do like the Vado, but I've already found that the front fender has a major flaw where it pops out of the front forks. I have since removed it from the bike and plan to leave it off. I also feel like I am afraid of riding it too hard since I came from a gravel bike with 50mm tires. I feel like I have to baby it.

Otherwise, the bike has been fun to ride.

Welcome to the place where you'll find most of your answers.
You have a great bike and with basic care it will last a long time.
If you are mechanically inclined good or get it serviced at a LBS.
1.7 miles is a very short ride for your bike and you don't have to baby it. Just enjoy it.

I've already found that the front fender has a major flaw where it pops out of the front forks. I have since removed it from the bike and plan to leave it off.
I often use my Vado SL on gravel/forest rides. I never had the issue with the front fender you described but as it used to collect twigs and was blocked too often, I removed the front fender and replaced it with an AssSaver.

I also feel like I am afraid of riding it too hard since I came from a gravel bike with 50mm tires. I feel like I have to baby it.
I have successfully used my Vado SL on numerous gravel group rides, typically involving a lot of forest riding and even singletrack. No need to baby your Vado SL! It is a solid thing! I use 38 mm Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss for my Vado SL in the warm season. No issues!

1674477257798.png

On a 45 people gravel group ride with my Vado SL 4.0 EQ. I rode for 147.47 km on that day (yes, with multiple Range Extenders).

Many happy miles @Hekkubus!

Last edited:
I often use my Vado SL on gravel/forest rides. I never had the issue with the front fender you described but as it used to collect twigs and was blocked too often, I removed the front fender and replaced it with an AssSaver.

I have successfully used my Vado SL on numerous gravel group rides, typically involving a lot of forest riding and even singletrack. No need to baby your Vado SL! It is a solid thing! I use 38 mm Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss for my Vado SL in the warm season. No issues!

View attachment 145401
On a 45 people gravel group ride with my Vado SL 4.0 EQ. I rode for 147.47 km on that day (yes, with multiple Range Extenders).

Many happy miles @Hekkubus!
Soooo, I figured out what was happening with the fender after speaking with my bike shop. There are little screws underneath the forks that are supposed to hold the tines of the fender in place. However, the screws weren't holding the fender tines in, so I backed the screws all the way out, pushed the tines in, and tightened the screws. After some minor tugging, I found that then tines were securely in place.

How do you like the Pathfinders? Did you have to swap out the wheels, or did you keep the DT Swiss ones that come on the bike? I've thought about going tubeless, but my bike shop guy recommended sticking with the Nimbus that came on it because it's supposed to be a fairly tough tire.

Keeping the good tyres such as Nimbus (until they are worn) is a reasonable idea. I swapped them for Pathfinders Pro because I needed the exceptionally low rolling resistance they offer; PFP are supple, too. I use them tubed on the standard Vado SL 4.0 wheels that are not defined as tubeless ready. I also need to swap tyres for winter, making the tubeless not practical in my case.

The wheels on your SL 5.0 are tubeless ready. Going tubeless with PFP 38-622 could be a good option for you in the future. The wheels would become more lightweight, punctures self repairing in many cases, and you could ride on lower inflation pressure.

Back