Has anyone converted Espin Flow to a class 3?

Jcrotty1985

I've read that Espin Flow can be "unlocked" so as to remove the 20 mph speed limit and turn it into a class 3, but I've never seen any instructions. Has anybody here done this? How did you figure out what to do? How complicated is it? want to go 28 mph, but I also prefer a step through. Thanks.

I've read that Espin Flow can be "unlocked" so as to remove the 20 mph speed limit and turn it into a class 3, but I've never seen any instructions. Has anybody here done this? How did you figure out what to do? How complicated is it? want to go 28 mph, but I also prefer a step through. Thanks.
Someday in YouTube comments replied to me that it's any easy adjustment in the control panel. But more a 25mph max.
Supposed to get my Flow tomorrow according to FedEx..so I'll report back as soon as I get it put together.

Yes, very easy to do. Takes about 1 minute on the display.

Attachments

• 2019_Sport_Flow_User_Manual_147cc742-2b23-4dd8-aa8e-0a3cf957d1be.pdf
    252.5 KB · Views: 789
I just left Sport 2 and I'm not sure you can alter the max speed. I did a drag race with Sport and Sport 2 both in 8th gear and PAS 5 and we both maxed out at around 26 or 27. That was with alot of pedal effort. I cant remember if I did something with the display to alter Sport. I know I unlocked it with my Lectric XP. Another thing, The Sram set up on Sport 2 seems comparable to the Shrimano, however you can really feel the difference in the tires. My Kenda Komforts on Sport roll so much smoother that the CST knobbies. I may mention it to Espin...

The Espin website (as I write this) says the Sport comes with Shimano shifters and Kenda tires. Is that not accurate? Isn't that a big deal? It makes me question whether the company has their act together, right?

The Espin website (as I write this) says the Sport comes with Shimano shifters and Kenda tires. Is that not accurate? Isn't that a big deal? It makes me question whether the company has their act together, right?
A lot of companies sometimes have to substitute with equivalent components due to part shortages and need to deliver bikes on time. Ride 1up does the same thing and I heard owner Kevin Duggar in an interview talk about shortages related to Shimano parts, shifters and brakes and why he substituted components. It is fine as long as the components work as well. Tires are not hard to change.

A lot of companies sometimes have to substitute with equivalent components due to part shortages and need to deliver bikes on time. Ride 1up does the same thing and I heard owner Kevin Duggar in an interview talk about shortages related to Shimano parts, shifters and brakes and why he substituted components. It is fine as long as the components work as well. Tires are not hard to change.
It's not a huge deal and I think you are right-part shortages are real. I'm just happy to get the bike in 6 weeks. I am going to see if we can switch the bigger tires for the Kenda Komforts...

It's not a huge deal and I think you are right-part shortages are real. I'm just happy to get the bike in 6 weeks. I am going to see if we can switch the bigger tires for the Kenda Komforts...
I received my Sport yesterday and they have CST Blackjack 27.5x1.95 tires. Same size as the kenda comfort 1.95 that Epin had previously. The CSTs seem better suited for hard compact or mixed pavement/slightly loose surface riding. Nothing wrong with the CSTs. If road hard pavement riding is primary use, it might make sense to switch slick or semi-slick tire.

I just left Sport 2 and I'm not sure you can alter the max speed. I did a drag race with Sport and Sport 2 both in 8th gear and PAS 5 and we both maxed out at around 26 or 27. That was with alot of pedal effort. I cant remember if I did something with the display to alter Sport. I know I unlocked it with my Lectric XP. Another thing, The Sram set up on Sport 2 seems comparable to the Shrimano, however you can really feel the difference in the tires. My Kenda Komforts on Sport roll so much smoother that the CST knobbies. I may mention it to Espin...
Based on what you said here about your drag race, it sounds like "hamster wheeling" should not be a problem with Espin Sport, right? At least on flat surfaces? My biggest complaint about my current E-bike, which is a really old model class 2, is that I am essentially unable to go any faster than the motor can go, because the gearing just doesnt support really vigorous pedaling. I can pedal as hard as I want, but Im just spinning my legs. Sounds like that's not a problem with the Sport?

Based on what you said here about your drag race, it sounds like "hamster wheeling" should not be a problem with Espin Sport, right? At least on flat surfaces? My biggest complaint about my current E-bike, which is a really old model class 2, is that I am essentially unable to go any faster than the motor can go, because the gearing just doesnt support really vigorous pedaling. I can pedal as hard as I want, but Im just spinning my legs. Sounds like that's not a problem with the Sport?
We had this problem with our 2017 Rad. I couldn't pedal any faster that 15 mph or so. We ended up changing out the free wheel to get an 11 tooth top gear, increasing our ability to pedal to about 20mph. Same end result could be done with a larger front gear.

Point being, hamster wheeling is about what gears your bike is equipped with as much as anything else, and that problem is usually pretty inexpensive/easy to deal with.

It seems like for me, max speed on a level surface in PAS 5, Gear 8 is around 25-26 pedaling briskly...

Yes, very easy to do. Takes about 1 minute on the display.

Hi,

can you provide more details. I do not understand how to change it to a class 3 and the PDF linked to my understanding did not change it. I also reached out to Espin and they said the following:

Unfortunately it seems you were given incorrect information about the Flow's top speed, it is Class 2 only and cannot be changed to a Class 3. Its top speed is 20mph. The throttle can be used at any moment while riding, which is especially helpful when getting started uphill.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
Andy
Espin Technical Support

The bikes come with a class 2 sticker on them. It would only make sense that Espin is going to tell you that it will only go 20mph. I have no idea how fast mine are. I haven't had a reason to ask them to go over 15mph or so. Still, pretty sure they'll crack 20mph...

What Taylor says sounds about right......

Keep in mind, at speeds over 15 or so, you are using a GOB of battery power! Wind resistance is one of your worst enemies when it comes to making good battery mileage. 10-12mph is generally a good compromise, and you'll fit right in with others on busy trails at those speeds.

Hi,

can you provide more details. I do not understand how to change it to a class 3 and the PDF linked to my understanding did not change it. I also reached out to Espin and they said the following:

Unfortunately it seems you were given incorrect information about the Flow's top speed, it is Class 2 only and cannot be changed to a Class 3. Its top speed is 20mph. The throttle can be used at any moment while riding, which is especially helpful when getting started uphill.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
Andy
Espin Technical Support
Mine goes around 26-27 on flat ground in PAS 5 and 7th or 8th gear (cant remember how many gears)

That is with throttle only...

One disconnect here could be some people have "old" Flows and some people have the 21 model.

Maybe you could adjust the old one but not the new one.

@Taylor57 might have been correct that it only takes 1 minute via the settings in November of 2020, but it just no longer applies to the Flows with color screens.

Back