bikerjohn

After 4.years, 504 rides, with 488 hours and nearly 8400 miles (8394) on my EG Zurich, I discovered some cracks in the down tube by the bottom bracket.
100_3437.JPG100_3440.JPG100_3441.JPG

I'm guessing the frame is kaput. I was in progress replacing/upgrading the rear wheel from a 7 speed Nexus hub to an 8 speed and replacing the chain guard with a BioLogic chain cover.

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2728

Anyway, I've got a specialized hybrid frame that may work in a change-over, and if so, I will replace the rear wheel and derailleur set-up with the Nexus 8 speed drive components. Maybe it's time to buy that dream ebike?

Last edited:
That's scary, John. Think you can get those cables out of the frame to swap the motor?

Looks like the welds failed... I have a flair for the obvious

Last edited:
That's scary, John. Think you can get those cables out of the frame to swap the motor?
A project on the front porch this weekend may get it done. I'll document the conversion attempt. My 2005 Specialized Hybrid frame will need a thorough inspection with extra attention at the bottom bracket and down tube area. The Specialized Globe which is the 13 year-old frame has 11,459.73 miles and 763 hours of use -including several years of all season commuting. There is some definite corrosion that bears closer scrutiny. I would love to be able to change it over...we'll see.

Back