Giant Road-e motor repair

echollis

Region
USA
I had to replace the motor on my 2019 Giant Road-e after more than 10,000 miles. I can find no one who can repair the old motor. If you know of anyone, please let me know. I'll send it to them.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 340
These guys replace eBike motor bearings, I don't know if they work on faulty motors.

I am familiar with and have spoken to another company in the U.S. that replaces bearings. The problem is Giant. To be helpful to me the motor repair shop also has to have access to Giant circuit cards and software. I have not found any Giant dealers that feel comfortable troubleshooting and repairing ebike motors.

I would't have a problem with that if Giant was proactive in training its dealers. Today the dealers have to repair by replacement "until it works" and a lot of communication with Giant support. That can take awhile especially today with reduced support personnel and longer lead times. If I had a spare ebike it wouldn't concern me as much assuming both bike didn't need repair at the same time! Maybe I need a third spare.

Ha, ha,.....I'm not really laughing - in a good way.

I'm planning on having two ebikes, concidering whether I will keep a third.

I had to replace the motor on my 2019 Giant Road-e after more than 10,000 miles. I can find no one who can repair the old motor. If you know of anyone, please let me know. I'll send it to them.
That's a Yamaha motor and can probably be repaired or overhauled for less than half the cost of a replacement motor by this outfit:

I would't have a problem with that if Giant was proactive in training its dealers. Today the dealers have to repair by replacement "until it works" and a lot of communication with Giant support. That can take awhile especially today with reduced support personnel and longer lead times. If I had a spare ebike it wouldn't concern me as much assuming both bike didn't need repair at the same time! Maybe I need a third spare.

"Repair by replacement " is something I just witnessed at a big brand's dealership. As the owner generously dealt with it while we waited he replaced part after part from new working bikes till it isolated one electrical component.

I was thinking, how would I ever chase that down not having numerous spare similar bikes to pull parts from?

"Repair by replacement " is something I just witnessed at a big brand's dealership. As the owner generously dealt with it while we waited he replaced part after part from new working bikes till it isolated one electrical component.

I was thinking, how would I ever chase that down not having numerous spare similar bikes to pull parts from?
My LBS does the same thing today. A software update between my phone and the bike failed bricking the system. (Bricking is when an electronic device becomes unusable, often from a failed software or firmware update.) They replaced parts from another Giant ebike until mine worked for $500 instead of uploading new software that was the problem to begin with. Ugh.

Back