FLX Trail 5 import from USA to Canada.

cstmichael

Region
Canada
I have been looking for a new ebike and it appears that the FLX Trail5 checks most boxes. I love the look with the integrated battery, Mid-drive, 120nm torque, 130mm travel on forks, suspension seat..etc.. But my bubble just burst as I found out Canada has updated its laws around ebikes. On February 4, 2021, Transport Canada repealed the previous definition of a power-assisted bicycle. Instead, Transport Canada will assess the design and speed of the e-bike in order to determine if it is regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations. Because the FLX has the ability to exceed the max speed of 32kmh / 20mph, my understanding it will fall under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act which = pain in the ass.

So my question here is, does anyone know of a Canadian company that sells a similar bike, particularly with the integrated battery?

Last edited:
Because the FLX has the ability to exceed the max speed of 32kmh / 20mph, my understanding it will fall under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act which = pain in the ass.
Umm, have you ever wiped out on a downgrade at that speed?

anyone know of a Canadian company that sells a similar bike, particularly with the integrated battery?

Yes, please look into this thread.
We have bikes with Bosch Gen4 motor, Gates belt drive, reliable internal gear hub, and dual battery for 125km range.

If you remove the fenders and rack, you get a very versatile E-bike that doesn't need a lot of maintenance. The reason you have not heard a lot about this model is that we are keeping a low profile but our activities ramp up significantly this summer. The last 12 months were challenging because of international border closures and supply chain disruption but you will hear and see this model a lot more in the coming days.

1623817027195.png

But my bubble just burst as I found out Canada has updated its laws around ebikes. On February 4, 2021, Transport Canada repealed the previous definition of a power-assisted bicycle. Instead, Transport Canada will assess the design and speed of the e-bike in order to determine if it is regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations. Because the FLX has the ability to exceed the max speed of 32kmh / 20mph, my understanding it will fall under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act which = pain in the ass.

So my question here is, does anyone know of a Canadian company that sells a similar bike, particularly with the integrated battery?

Thanks! I was unaware that Transport Canada had made these changes. My previous recommendation of MyUS.com probably wouldn't work in that case.

Seems like a good possibility that any 28mph e-bike might be stopped at the border. I'll stop my pondering of the Vado SL 5.0 now. :)

No.. but something tells me you have.
Thank to god not at all. But I have visited folks in the ICU that have.

Federal regulations are put there for a reason. If you think they are a "pain in the ass", then contact your MP to change them, not find loopholes to sneak in an illegal import and become a danger and a menace to others on bike lanes where all sorts of yahoos think pedestrians are a lower life form.

Likewise, Canadian gun laws are also a "pain in the ass" and I am glad they stay that way.

WHy are people so crusty today?
Federal regulations are put there for a reason. If you think they are a "pain in the ass", then contact your MP to change them, not find loopholes to sneak in an illegal import and become a danger and a menace to others on bike lanes where all sorts of yahoos think pedestrians are a lower life form.
Oh man, if I knew @cstmichael 's intention was to be a "danger AND a menace" I never would have made any recommendations.

;)

LOL. My intention was to bring awareness to the new regulations. How did my thread end up taking on another life and become a "danger and a menace" thread. Doesn't matter. However I would like to hear from someone who has received a new bike shipped from the US where its power is unlocked... that would be interesting.

Last edited:
Thank to god not at all. But I have visited folks in the ICU that have.

Likewise, Canadian gun laws are also a "pain in the ass" and I am glad they stay that way.
My reference to the "pain in the ass" is that I can't purchase the bike I want because it has the "potential" to exceed Canada regulations even if I have the company ship it programmed to meet our regulations. Trust me, I have no need for speed or injury, I just want the torque this bike has, as I'm challenged by hills.

Trust me, I have no need for speed or injury, I just want the torque this bike has, as I'm challenged by hills.
You are the responsible ebike owner and operator, and I commend that.

We need these "pain in the ass" regulations to make it harder for all the affluent yahoos from easily buying an e-something and use it on a pedestrian-only path lanes that is clutterd with kids on training wheels. I witness this daily.

You are the responsible ebike owner and operator, and I commend that.

We need these "pain in the ass" regulations to make it harder for all the affluent yahoos from easily buying an e-something and use it on a pedestrian-only path lanes that is clutterd with kids on training wheels. I witness this daily.
There are a-holes everywhere that do not heed to safety, and regard people on paths as obstacles. I see uber bikers that will ride down the center lane in their jester outfits darting in between and around other bikers and pedestrians like it's the Tour de France. But I get your point. Having a fast ebike in the hands of some irresponsible jerk is a disaster waiting to happen, as well just ruins the reputation for us all who are compliant and safety conscious.

Yes, please look into this thread.
We have bikes with Bosch Gen4 motor, Gates belt drive, reliable internal gear hub, and dual battery for 125km range.

If you remove the fenders and rack, you get a very versatile E-bike that doesn't need a lot of maintenance. The reason you have not heard a lot about this model is that we are keeping a low profile but our activities ramp up significantly this summer. The last 12 months were challenging because of international border closures and supply chain disruption but you will hear and see this model a lot more in the coming days.

View attachment 90482
Looks like a great bike but I can't find any info on where to buy one.

Last edited:
Back